Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 09:49 PM
Kobold

Default The Hunt for Tantor

Hey everyone. I'm interested in hunting the mythical beast known as Tantor, and was wondering if anyone was willing to divulge information about bringing down the beast.

The trophy hunter is an enchanter, and I was willing to be a madman in the icelands smashing the animal mobs together until he spawned. Using the pet track method, the plan would be to then panic if he or Strong Horn were up until I could find him, and throw as many animals as possible into him until I bring the colossus down. Because this is an insane idea, the hope is that no trackers would be actively looking around and get an FTE on them before me.

Then I thought a little more deeply; the information on his wiki page is quite sparse, and.. What if he is really magic resistant? roots won't work, slows won't work, i'm not sure if there are enough animals to kill him before i start trying to throw wyverns and gravid drakes at him.

What if Strong Horn spawns? If he runs faster than regular speed like other kunark rhinos and is also highly MR, i'm also going to be in a bad spot to be throwing stuff at him while keeping control as well. Since i'm running at Jboot speed, I might not really even be able to kite him, cast a fast charm, and keep him off without eating a lot of damage.

Googling around Tantor threads basically netted me that he and Strong Horn are stupid rare, and Tantor will break your heart by not dropping the tusk. They ostensibly spawn between the two canyons leading to DL and ToV.

I used to think I could try to look for them after an earthquake, but I guess those don't happen anymore?

For anyone who doesn't know about Tantor and Strong Horn, they're big animals that drop cool weapons.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Tantor

https://wiki.project1999.com/Strong_Horn

And yes, Tantor's Tusk is 50/60. As someone whose favorite item that they will never have is a Rod of Annihilation, this is a very intriguing Tusk that I would like to wield.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Rod_of_annihilation

Thank you for any information you are willing to share, if you know about these secretive beasts.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:59 PM
Fire Giant

I think your best bet is camping out in WW and waiting for a server reset/earthquake.

From my understanding the animals/dragonkin all share spawn points which means Tantor/Stronghorn share the points with the dragonkin as well. You can test this out by killing animals there for some time and eventually all the animals will dry up and be replaced by dragonkin (who no one wants to take faction hits from of course)

I used to kite the burrowers on my druid all the time and would always check for tantor because its my understanding he doesn't summon and I wanted to give him a shot. Never saw him once =(
Old 01-04-2020, 01:29 AM
Sarnak

On Red - the last 30+ times server has been down, Tantor, Stronghorn, nor Icehackle has been up. Myga has sometimes.

Seems VERY odd they have not popped after so many full repops.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:51 AM
Kobold

Yeah, a lot of the Tantor information was from the guys on Red, making it seem like a pipedream from the rarity. I think I read that someone got Strong Horn to spawn 2 or maybe 3 times, dropped the horn each time, one Tantor, and no tusk. I'd really like to hear from them if they are soloable due to normal levels of magic resist...

Is this post about "Resuming Earthquakes" just a bunch of B.S. salt then?

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=345991

I admit to being trolled if so. I've been online for an earthquake a couple of times, but I don't remember big rallying notifications in my guilds discord since the server split due to earthquakes. But I'm not paying extremely close attention either.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:19 PM
Sarnak

Earthquakes don't occur on red - or very few have and very long ago in comparison to blue.

Many rare(ish) mobs are only killed on server resets (not earthquakes) such as Fellspine, Myga, Chef area of seb, etc.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:38 PM
Sarnak

I used to live in WW, farming burrowers with my druid. Never once saw Tantor up. I was hoping he'd spawn because I would've given him a try, but alas, never happened. I am guessing he is very rare (like 10% spawn rate) and shares a spawn point with wyverns or wurms, and no one really kills those so the only chance is on an earthquake.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:49 PM
Sarnak

I got a 58/59ish SK I'd duo with you and hunt, lmk.

[Oracle] [Grave Lord] [Outrider]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llandris View Post
You also don't have to play here if you don't like the rules. It's your choice <3
Old 01-06-2020, 07:13 PM
Sarnak

Found Stronghorn one time in WW near the entrance to DN wandering around between DN and the Ocean. Dropped the horn. It does for sure exist on blue!
[57 Ranger] Breeann (Wood-Elf) <The Second Sons>
[40 Enchanter] Mellisandra (Human) <The Second Sons>
Old 01-06-2020, 09:49 PM
Banned

I helped kill Strong Horn 1x time (on red)

Stupidly rare merbs.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:58 AM
Sarnak

I have seen both of these mobs in my time on Blue. Tantor twice and strong horn four times tantor dropped his tusk once and the horn drops every time. Normally people are killing the Myga PH's they will help you kill the brontos and mammoths. Zone is so large just pet track best option. We had a bard swarm kite all the bronts and mammoths and the druids and wizzys would pull them in was a group of 5 of us and just AoE nuked them down. I have also seen a ranger solo both of these mobs also with a bow... took FOREVER but was a good kill.

NAMPUS EPIC gnome MAG
Wyman EPIC halfing WAR
Closed Thread