Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 04:02 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Flair [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Man, you certainly look at vanguard thru a jaded fanboy lens. I loved the game for what it was worth, but there is just so much off about that post I don't even know where to begin.

There was just nothing about Vanguard except its newer graphics and bigger world that in any way beat EQ. It was much more cautiously made, and in no way had more "emergent gameplay". It was played exactly the way it was designed tbh.

Of course it was a spiritual successor. No one that played the beta or early rendition could possibly think otherwise. And of course EQ had a fanbase, were talking about a game that tens of millions of people played. EQ alone caused Vanguard to sell over a quarter of a million copies, but never did even a fraction of that number play the game concurrently.

I certainly never compared VG to TESO. TESO is a DAOC/WoW clone, and felt totally uninspired to me. Still, at least it played well on the avg PC.

Yes, the combat was ultra spammy. I played half a dozen classes over the years. You could mash megamacros too most of your skills piled into 2 or 3 of them.

The game was just changed in all the wrong ways post beta. SOE was to blame for sure, but it is what it is. Not going to pretend it was something it wasn't. All the cool factors that managed to not get removed could not change the fact that it was just another WoW clone in the end with a tiny bit more sand in the park.
I only browsed this post for now.

I will say you are EQ1 fanboying though for starters.

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82
Old 05-12-2016, 04:19 AM
Planar Protector

I don't want to argue about it tbh. We like what we like. I still have fond memories of Vanguard. I just feel like it would have been an infinitely better and more successful game if they'd have retained more of the oldschool and adopted less of the new. There was already an EQ2 and WoW.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:28 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Flair [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't want to argue about it tbh. We like what we like. I still have fond memories of Vanguard. I just feel like it would have been an infinitely better and more successful game if they'd have retained more of the oldschool and adopted less of the new. There was already an EQ2 and WoW.
Thats fine but it looks like you have a general disdain for WoW inspired gameplay and haven't really played much else on the market since 2008 as a result.

I can see how it would be difficult to appreciate VG in that case when you haven't sunk any real time into other AAA MMO's that have come around since.

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82
Old 05-12-2016, 02:30 PM
Planar Protector

Not at all true. I've tried almost every major MMO. Put quite a few hours into AA. Had a bit of time in tera as well. I don't like a lot about those games and think casualizing mmos is the reason they have no longevity, but I still give them a fair shake to at least know what theyre about.

The difference is, i know why I don't like them. Everyone else jumps from game to game thinking thats just the nature of mmos.
Last edited by R Flair; 05-12-2016 at 02:32 PM..
Old 05-12-2016, 02:41 PM
Fire Giant

I gotta install this. This thread is a celebration of one of the greatest games ever made. I hope Brad gets the last laugh with Pantheon.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:21 PM
Sarnak

Vanguard was simply a badass game, and I still have fond memories of my time playing it. The world was awesome, the dungeons were awesome, the quests were awesome. Diplomacy, Housing...innovative tradeskill system. It was one of the best duo-friendly MMOs I can think of.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:32 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by AenorVZ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I gotta install this. This thread is a celebration of one of the greatest games ever made. I hope Brad gets the last laugh with Pantheon.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:33 PM
Sarnak

It's very unfortunate that the launch was fucking horrible man.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:51 AM
Kobold

I actually liked setting up the macros. On my paladin I had like 5 that were like 10 skills deep depending on the situation. Pallies had that valor pool or whatever it was that builds over time and fuels a portion of skills. A majority of which were instant which makes for seemless dps. That's definately spammy if you click all the buttons. What was nice was putting your basic skill rotation in a macro, then just using the opportunity skills as they appear.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:34 AM
Banned

I think if vanguard had a few million $$ in budget it would have beaten out wow.

But then it would have sucked as bad as wow because the devs wuld just have blown it all on hookers, blow, and sex changes.

No one in their right mind was going to ever trust Vanguards creator with 10s of millions tho... he probably would have gotten the doe though if he had pitched vanguard and his name/brand to a big executive player and sold out so that nameless exec could have soaked in the cash investment in the next big wow. Sony wouldn't let him do that though (and the sony execs sure as hell didn't trust him after dealing face2face) hence his little garage shop business venture. And he wasn't smart or wise enough to do that and cash out his nest egg + nice investment in a dev he could bend to his will for his "dream game".

50 shades of rainbow colord pixels.

P.S. I think I know who OP is, and OP is a very mad sad bad person. Just sayin. Not a secret or anything.

Also moar P.S. strong smart brilliant business women looking for rich sugardaddy to play with. We can world dominate together, namean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by maerilith; 05-15-2016 at 11:40 AM..
Closed Thread