Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 12:40 AM
Large Rat

Thumbs down Casters unable to cancel spell casts on Red is unfair

I have created characters on this server looking for a classic version of EQ. This server is very close, but the custom change of not allowing spell cancelling is detrimental to the experience. I'm going to give reasons as to why I believe the alteration of this game mechanic should be reverted to its "live" state, i.e. why spell cancelling should be allowed. Please don't just jump past this post; really reconsider putting this mechanic back into the game. I spoke in game to players in out of character chat and every person that replied to me said how unfair this was. If you won't take just my word for it, then I beg you to listen to your players and take a poll and see what everyone thinks. I play both melee and caster characters and I sincerely believe this to be unfair.

Summary:
Melee characters already have many advantages over casters. Melee can fight while moving, melee can't be resisted but spells can be resisted every time, melee can't be interrupted, caster damage is nerfed in pvp, melee damage can be sped up, you can melee indefinitely without running out of endurance while casting is heavily limited by the amount of mana. Adding another advantage by not allowing spell cancelling is severe overkill and shows melee favoritism.

Explanations:
When casting a spell, several things can happen that will cause the loss of concentration of the caster and lead to the interruption of the spell. This is already a one sided mechanic; melee will keep swinging whether they have taken a hit, moved, got flung into the air, etc. There is nothing other than a full stun that will stop a melee character from swinging and attacking. This leads to the constant ability of melee characters to cause uninterrupted damage. So none of the melee offensive damage can be stopped, it can only be mitigated. Every single point of a caster's offensive damage can be prevented through interrupting spells. So already, melee has a massive advantage.

Now consider spell cast times. An average spell may have 4 or 5 seconds cast time. This means the caster must stand immobile for the entire duration to cast a spell while using a weapon has no such restriction. The entire time the enemy gets to attack and use abilities to try to damage the caster or interrupt the spell cast. If the cast is interrupted, then not only does the caster take damage, they also do no offensive damage for that time commitment. Now consider being trapped in a spell cast that you know is going to be interrupted. Now you are a sitting duck, unable to act until the full cast duration has expired while getting pounded on. People say that you should use "smart" casts, but why don't melee then have to use "smart" weapon attacks and suffer a complete shutdown of offense.

Now think about the realistic aspect of casting a spell. If you were casting a spell and something happened that caused your concentration to slip, you would immediately stop casting and start over. If you were casting a spell and a warrior bashes you right in the mouth, you aren't going to keep talking and saying the incantation, you will have to immediately start over. Spell cancelling enhances the role playing aspect of the game by giving it a more realistic feel.

I invite anyone to post their opinions in this thread.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:44 AM
Planar Protector

I agree, it makes casters even worse than they already are in end game pvp.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:48 AM
Planar Protector

I think it's not until a Velious patch that good old "duck/cancel" was supposed to be put in on blue server. Sorry to be a Daldaen but hopefully that's accurate for the green server <3
Old 04-30-2019, 01:31 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
custom change
It's not a custom change. It's a classic change.

Have fun with it on Green.

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 04-30-2019, 02:48 AM
Planar Protector

Will there by any other game-changing classic interface changes for green? I can only get so hard.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:19 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's not a custom change. It's a classic change.

Have fun with it on Green.
Is this the first official post by CSR/Dev referring to it as "Green" since the image was posted?

<Gravity>
Old 04-30-2019, 03:29 AM
Planar Protector

Wait, what? Duck canceling wasn't classic?
Old 04-30-2019, 08:15 AM
Sarnak

Is there gonna be a PvE and a PvP green server
Old 04-30-2019, 08:40 AM
Planar Protector

We duck cancelled on RZ to be cheap in duels and fake out a cast that would start with /duel to accept at end of cast. I dont know what he was saying for sure there but the duck cancel is classic from release before kunark
Old 04-30-2019, 08:49 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hideousclaw [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is this the first official post by CSR/Dev referring to it as "Green" since the image was posted?
As if the Green tint was indicative enough?
Closed Thread