Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 04:57 AM
Sarnak

As an avid tradeskiller back in Kurnark, Velious really improved that and made all that plat and time worth while.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:45 AM
Banned

i was getting laid in my 20s
always been a filthy casual
raiding sucks
Old 06-01-2020, 10:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldlush [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
TOFS is pretty much it.
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As an avid tradeskiller back in Kurnark, Velious really improved that and made all that plat and time worth while.
Definitely true ,great buffs to under played classes with tradeskill gear too. Gear that lasted at least till 55+ in Luclin and PoP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snortles Chortles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
CS/IC/KAEL/TOFS is all i really remember TBQH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry you didn't get raid loot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snortles Chortles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i was getting laid in my 20s
always been a filthy casual
raiding sucks
Old 06-01-2020, 11:22 AM
Aviak

Velious felt like it had to do with Norrath, and its denizens doing things. On Norrath. Killing Norrathian dragons and gods.

Tunare and Rallos Zek were added and their proxies vie for control of the Wakening Lands. The lifecycle of dragons is quite vividly fleshed out, from birth in the nests of the Western Wastes to death in the Dragon Necropolis, and beyond. Fervent worshipers of Brell Serilis still pray for his guidance in the strange frozen land they have come to call home.

Meanwhile, in GM events of the time, the Primordial Malice is attempting to resurrect Lanys T'vyl and reassemble Malevolence, one of Innoruuk's most powerful artifacts. This is so she can cause problems for Firiona Vie - the lady on the literal box of EQ. Innoruuk and Tunare's rivalry appears to be escalating, as evidenced by the corruption of the Lesser Faydark, all in all it appears to be coming to a head soon...

STOP! We're gonna kinda circle back to that, but before that we're going on a quick detour to the moon. So we can 'explain' why the gypsies sell nice (I guess?) weapons and what those things wizards port you to are by making an entire city out of them, but then not finishing it.

Only relevant deity now is Luclin, who we've never heard of and can't worship but who apparently has a bunch of followers who outclass dragons, demigods, and even the gods on their own planes? And... we can't even see her because you didn't finish it?

Nobody cares what race, class, or alignment you are. Except maybe Seru doesn't like dark elves or something? Other than that it may as well be an entire planetoid of agnostics, and every city a Crescent Reach... that isn't finished.

Very little has anything to do with anything from before. The places it connects with Norrathian lore are limited to Shissar from Kunark, Vah Shir from Odus, and Combine as just kind of a homogeneous smattering of everything else. None of that Combine stuff the Monk epic hinted at though! Oh and despite the focus on Combine and how great they are at teleportation and stuff, none of the teleportation spells take you to any structures like that on Luclin except the Nexus!

Meanwhile, on one of the globes in Skyfire Mountains, aspiring cartographers are able to see an island on the far side of the sea. What mysteries lay...

...oh its Taelosia I guess, and it has even less to do with anything than anything else, ever. Guess they pulled a Luclin on us! Again!

And where's that door in Shadowhaven library go?! Don't give me that line about the Netherbian Lair, all that extra crap in 2001 was grinding FPS to a halt in a practically mandatory zone for a throwaway hail about the biggest door we've ever seen going to the least interesting zone ever?

If I'm missing anything, please crack some eggs of Luclin lore knowledge on my head, but I really would have preferred all the effort that went into Luclin's unique and inexplicable creatures be directed at... Norrath, and Norrathian things.

<Aftermath>
Old 06-01-2020, 11:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by noleriand [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Velious felt like it had to do with Norrath, and its denizens doing things. On Norrath. Killing Norrathian dragons and gods.

Tunare and Rallos Zek were added and their proxies vie for control of the Wakening Lands. The lifecycle of dragons is quite vividly fleshed out, from birth in the nests of the Western Wastes to death in the Dragon Necropolis, and beyond. Fervent worshipers of Brell Serilis still pray for his guidance in the strange frozen land they have come to call home.

Meanwhile, in GM events of the time, the Primordial Malice is attempting to resurrect Lanys T'vyl and reassemble Malevolence, one of Innoruuk's most powerful artifacts. This is so she can cause problems for Firiona Vie - the lady on the literal box of EQ. Innoruuk and Tunare's rivalry appears to be escalating, as evidenced by the corruption of the Lesser Faydark, all in all it appears to be coming to a head soon...

STOP! We're gonna kinda circle back to that, but before that we're going on a quick detour to the moon. So we can 'explain' why the gypsies sell nice (I guess?) weapons and what those things wizards port you to are by making an entire city out of them, but then not finishing it.

Only relevant deity now is Luclin, who we've never heard of and can't worship but who apparently has a bunch of followers who outclass dragons, demigods, and even the gods on their own planes? And... we can't even see her because you didn't finish it?

Nobody cares what race, class, or alignment you are. Except maybe Seru doesn't like dark elves or something? Other than that it may as well be an entire planetoid of agnostics, and every city a Crescent Reach... that isn't finished.

Very little has anything to do with anything from before. The places it connects with Norrathian lore are limited to Shissar from Kunark, Vah Shir from Odus, and Combine as just kind of a homogeneous smattering of everything else. None of that Combine stuff the Monk epic hinted at though! Oh and despite the focus on Combine and how great they are at teleportation and stuff, none of the teleportation spells take you to any structures like that on Luclin except the Nexus!

Meanwhile, on one of the globes in Skyfire Mountains, aspiring cartographers are able to see an island on the far side of the sea. What mysteries lay...

...oh its Taelosia I guess, and it has even less to do with anything than anything else, ever. Guess they pulled a Luclin on us! Again!

And where's that door in Shadowhaven library go?! Don't give me that line about the Netherbian Lair, all that extra crap in 2001 was grinding FPS to a halt in a practically mandatory zone for a throwaway hail about the biggest door we've ever seen going to the least interesting zone ever?

If I'm missing anything, please crack some eggs of Luclin lore knowledge on my head, but I really would have preferred all the effort that went into Luclin's unique and inexplicable creatures be directed at... Norrath, and Norrathian things.
it's an optional add on that arguably has better lore than the original norrath and the door in the library was cool i wanted to know about that so much, and the pop addon subsidiezed the luclin addon for those that didn't want to purchase it and made available the crystaline dragons and rathe council raids that supposedly had something to do with norrath?

I think what happened is that Smed and Brad were movin on and starting different projects and expected to produce there, and left EQ in pretty capable at the time, albiet newbish hands, while designers and artists defected to WoW in 2003-4 and the creatives at SoE didn't want to break the original lore of Norrath in a sort of 'out of repsect for the original authors' work way and moved on to different places and times and explored different themes other than:

Dragon bad, giants bad, innoruuk bad, oh, the plane of Time, thats cool, I'll get there eventually.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:40 AM
Banned

I want to respect ur opinion tho, especially about the Seru and dark elves, shadowhaven, seru, and katta all should have had hard KOS like neriak elfs and good god worshippers, felwith vs darkies, and freeport vs trolls ogres

Shadowhaven clearly has brellish themese who don't like ogres at all, which is a very dwarven quality, where as Katta is definately the good guys lol, and Seru should have been total dicks to evil races.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I want to respect ur opinion tho, especially about the Seru and dark elves, shadowhaven, seru, and katta all should have had hard KOS like neriak elfs and good god worshippers, felwith vs darkies, and freeport vs trolls ogres

Shadowhaven clearly has brellish themese who don't like ogres at all, which is a very dwarven quality, where as Katta is definately the good guys lol, and Seru should have been total dicks to evil races.
I think brad probably tried to sell this but it had become a democracy and they caved to pressure to make the games more 'accessible'
Old 06-01-2020, 11:49 AM
Sarnak

To this day, I have trouble understanding luclin. It felt so out of place, and I never followed the i game lore. I just remember it’s reveal and ... seeing cats on the moon and being like wtf
Old 06-01-2020, 11:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natewest1987 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To this day, I have trouble understanding luclin. It felt so out of place, and I never followed the i game lore. I just remember it’s reveal and ... seeing cats on the moon and being like wtf
Probably because the 1st zone wasn't a dragon with raid loot and it offered a lot more ways to 'catch up' for the casuals and newer players.

Sorry you didn't get raid.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:55 AM
Banned

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natewest1987 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
ding ding, we have a winner
Luclin was shit
Closed Thread