Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 01:23 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default How did you get your wife/gf to play?

Been trying since I met my wife(9yrs) to get her to play. I got her to pause the other night while I was playing P99, told her to give me a fair chance at gaming with me to give me 1 week and at an hour or 2 a night. Thats as far as I have gotten.

I'm pretty sure its mostly a mental block about MMO's because Ive been playing them for so long she doesnt want to be labeled the same as I hehe. All she will play is Mahjong or Farmville......

Any suggestions on getting her involved would be great.

BTW a Trade in on the wife isnt possible. I like my nutz where they are ty.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:27 PM
Kobold

Eager to hear more about this as well! My wife has watched me play, but she just wont take the plunge and roll a character in P99, despite our meeting in EQ almost 11 years ago. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Dunes; 08-18-2010 at 02:28 PM..
Old 08-17-2010, 01:30 PM
Sarnak

This thread is humorous to me. Just last week I FINALLY conviced my wife to try the game. Now when I come home from work I see her on. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

My wife loves the beach and I convinced her I would go to the beach with her if she just tried the game. She hasn't mentioned anything about the beach to me yet [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-17-2010, 01:30 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrisius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I'm pretty sure its mostly a mental block about MMO's because Ive been playing them for so long she doesnt want to be labeled the same as I hehe. All she will play is Mahjong or Farmville......
Think that's the hurdle there.

The people who watch TV 8 hours a day are quick to label anyone anything to take the focus off themselves. I guarantee those who are saying, "OMG all you do is play Video Games" - I bet the next sentence they speak is "did you watch survivor/lost/whatever last night... oh I watch that all the time."

There's no way I could spend hours a day playing those Facebook games and it's AMAZING how many people do - but don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking them if it's what they like to do. But... Pot meet Kettle.

I can't help otherwise - MY wife talked ME into playing. But it's not like it took her any prodding.

Tell your wives this: my wife and I both play. We did; however, watch TV last night after doing stuff around the house, I had a water heater to replace and that's just after getting back from a 9 hour drive, we were outta town all week, didn't login to a game for one second that whole week.

But this week and weekend, I WILL be a fiend.

You don't have to spend EVERY waking hour playing a video game. Do what you NEED to get done first and after that - game all you can, lol.

Offer up the 'gauntlet' - time how much they spend on Facebook + TV watching. I bet it's close to the same as your time on EQ. You might have to do that behind the scenes, if they are aware they may try to 'limit' what time they would otherwise spend...

I won't knock ANYONE's hobby - but personally, I prefer the interactive depth of EQ or other games (MMO, Strategy, RPG) as opposed to flash games or the mind-numbing TV. But to each their own.

The people I usually run into that bash MMO's are people who live and breathe something else. Usually reality shows or sports. I do admit, I like a dose of each of those myself, and if not for video gaming, I'd watch a lot more TV. THANK YOU VIDEO GAMES!!!! lol

TV is really not much more than being spoon fed corporate advertisements 50% of the time anyway.

But if I had a pool or beach near me... we were just talking about getting a membership to a health club too. Don't let RL 'suffer' because of gaming, just replace other 'leisure' time.
Last edited by Overcast; 08-17-2010 at 01:38 PM..
Old 08-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Sarnak

Well, it's not just wives - I have NEVER gotten my husband to play a game on a console or the computer - He just does not care... 25 years of marriage and it was only until recently I got him to play his first game. Red Dead Redemption on the xBox. He mowed through that game and finished all of it in about 3 weeks. He still has no interest in things like EQ...
Old 08-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Aviak

Do your best to communicate what the game is really about. The "swords and sorcery" genre has never been very inviting to women that aren't already dedicated geeks, but the core gameplay mechanics of MMOs are actually quite appealing to women, even non-gamers: investing in and advancing a character, interacting with people and building social relationships to accomplish goals, exploring a world, etc. So ultimately its on you to communicate the experience to her in a non-threatening way, then let her try it and see if she likes it. If she does, great, if not, c'est la vie.

For my part, I met my wife in an MMO - by far the best way to find out if she is interested in sharing your hobby... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-17-2010, 01:39 PM
Fire Giant

I'm in the same boat as you, but then again, if she did play I would probably fall into an EQ coma and wake up some day at 300lbs without a job. I told her I just want 1 night a week, ME TIME, let me play my stupid game and relax. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

"Life's short and hard like a body building elf."
Old 08-17-2010, 01:41 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac321 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My wife loves the beach and I convinced her I would go to the beach with her if she just tried the game.
Was this beach...in Oasis by any chance? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-17-2010, 02:41 PM
Kobold

I thought about getting my wife started but then I thought about all the new fights that could come from trains, CRs, loot, assholes.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Aviak

My suggestion on getting your wife/girlfriend to play an MMO with you?

DON'T!
Closed Thread