Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 05:55 PM
Planar Protector

Default (Yet Another) Necromancer Race Thread

Ok first off, I understand: Iksar are the master race (racial regen + Lich = win).

But with that being said, I read a great post recently (which I can't find now, thanks a lot forum search [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]) that made a very good case for why Erudites were actually the better race for things like leveling, PvP and breaking a room full of mobs. The post crunched a bunch of numbers to show that the Iksar regen didn't come close to making up for the racial XP penalty, and that because Erudites could use non-Iksar-wearable gear they can have much higher max Intelligence (and then, once you hit the soft cap, higher max HP). The poster even made a mock Magelo just to demonstrate the difference.

So I was wondering ...

1. Does anyone know which post I'm talking about and can link it?
2. That post seemed oriented around Kunark-era gear: will the same logic still apply in the Velious era?
3. How do Dark Elves fit in to the picture gear-wise? Can they only wear the same stuff as an Iksar, or do they (like Erudites) have any high quality gear that's specific to them?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:00 PM
Fire Giant

Play what you want, though as much as I despise min maxing Iksar regen really is pretty great for necro's
Old 02-15-2015, 06:04 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Play what you want, though as much as I despise min maxing Iksar regen really is pretty great for necro's
It's great for necro's what? Don't leave us hangin dude.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:05 PM
Aviak

Max mana means basically nothing for necro, right? Even if the regen doesn't quite make up for the exp penalty, it will worth it AT 60.

I really feel like necro is the only class that has a "must roll" race. Even more so than ogre warriors and iksar monks.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:05 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's great for necro's what? Don't leave us hangin dude.
Substituting for clerics /w shadowbond ofc
Old 02-15-2015, 06:12 PM
Fire Giant

if your gonna go non iksar may as well go gnome. As a gnome you can see through walls and can easily slip into the hole.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Amen to both sentiments. But the forums can be a bit of an echo chamber, and it's easy for people to over-exaggerate the differences between the races. I suspect 99% of the "Iksar = best" crowd have never actually played two different races of Necros for a meaningful amount of time OR done the number crunching on the differences between them.

As proof, look at all the pro-Iksar threads where people claim that the Iksar XP penalty is negated by the faster leveling from the regen ... and then look at the post I referenced (if anyone ever links it) where the poster does crunch the numbers and shows the regen won't even come close to making up for the XP penalty.

So I'm not arguing against the idea that in general Iksar is the best race for a level 60 Necro. I was just persuaded by the post I mentioned to think that perhaps another race, like say Erudites, could be better circumstantially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanredux [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Max mana means basically nothing for necro, right?
Well, yes and no. Like I said, for certain things such as PvP or trying to break a room with several mobs in it, it does matter. In both cases you have a limited amount of time, so the Iksar regen can't provide the benefit it normally does. Also you have to keep in mind that while any Necro race can hit the Int soft cap, an Erudite can do it while still having extra slots free for HP gear that an Iksar wouldn't. So it's not just higher max mana we're talking about, it's also higher max HP.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_jon3s [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
if your gonna go non iksar may as well go gnome. As a gnome you can see through walls and can easily slip into the hole.
I'd be curious to hear how Gnome gear stacks up too. I'm very ignorant of race-specific Int caster gear, so I really don't know how Gnomes compare to Erudites, Iksar, or Dark Elves in that regard.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:31 PM
Kobold

Forget the xp pen or the regen. Iskars have the coolest robe sleeves in game. fact.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:34 PM
Planar Protector

no point of making a necro if it isn't iksar.

Halloween 2015 event: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/23440971

PL service
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=313502
Closed Thread