Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 10:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitVelvetSmooth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
the temperature goes under 40 degrees. Not worth the regen.
ever seen an iksar hanging out in halas? me neither
Old 02-15-2015, 10:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No one (or almost no one) started out as a min/maxer. Most of us have very fond memories of playing in our early days, long before we had the slightest clue how to min/max.
And then there are those who move beyond (abandon) min-maxing because it is unnecessary and they find it less rewarding using the best tool possible for every challenge. Of course you succeeded the odds were never against you! ^^

I certainly understand why peeps stick to it though. At the end of the day it is easier to share your stats than your experiences/accomplishments.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:13 PM
Banned

iksar hands down

/thrad
Old 02-16-2015, 12:51 AM
Aviak

no one said human?
Old 02-16-2015, 04:14 AM
Sarnak

54 human nec here. Everytime i leech myself to death i curse myself for not going iksar!

Since I have to use the mana expensive hot/dot very often I think I have a bit more of downtime then iksar necs.

But I love my nechuman [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-16-2015, 04:18 AM
Fire Giant

I tried an erudite necro once. Even the lowest level lich spells kicked my ass it was terrible. Iksar4life

Blue
: Seniksin | Jarshale
Red: Sieg | Cazissa
Old 02-16-2015, 05:36 AM
Kobold

xp penalty is irrelevant at 60 with such a low lvl cap on this server who cares what the penalty is.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:34 PM
Planar Protector

You can't beat that regen pals, you just can't... its worth the extra journey time to 60.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:40 PM
Planar Protector

I wrote that original post in this thread: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110930

I also did a more detailed breakdown in this thread, which was deleted for some reason (An Iksar supremacist conspiracy?): http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=173245

I was only able to find that url of the deleted thread by Google searching the following links, which I posted in that deleted thread and which demonstrate the enormous mana advantage that an Erudite enjoys over an equally geared Iksar (due to innate INT advantage, GEBs and Mantle of Souls).

http://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Blue:Iksarmancer

http://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Blue:Erudmancer

The Erudite has an extra 500 mana compared to the Iksar.

That being said, I still think that Iksar is the superior race in most situations and for most players on P1999, and is unquestionably the superior race if you're an endgame oriented player who will be spending most of your time at 60, where uber gear will start to erase the Erudite INT advantage. With Velious on the horizon this applies even more.

However, I think the Erudite Necro is a strong choice for a casual player or someone rolling a Necro primarily to level up for farming. Speaking as someone who has leveled both an Erudite Necro and an Iksar Necro from scratch (zero twinking), the low Iksar INT is really noticeable (especially at lower levels) and gives you very little cushion for things like spell resists and adds. For example, my naked Erudite Necro has nearly as much INT (147) as my HP geared Iksar Necro (155). It really takes a lot of INT and mana gear for an Iksar to begin erasing the Erudite INT advantage. Given the abundance of cheap gear on Blue at this point, however, this may be less of a problem.

The Erudite INT (mana) advantage is also huge in PvP given the short time frame of most fights, an obvious fact which is totally lost on most people who just parrot the "Iksar = best" argument without thinking. The Erudite has the extra mana for 2-3 extra casts of Deflux, for example, which gives him +600 healing and -600 damage to his enemy, a 1200 hitpoint differential that can be cast in about 15 seconds total. The Iksar regen advantage over 15 seconds is obviously meaningless in comparison. Alternatively, the mana could be used to cover an additional cast or two of a big DoT like Envenomed Bolt or Vexing Mordinia. High level Necro spells cost a lot of mana, and an Iksar running around in resist gear doesn't have a lot of wiggle room due to his low mana pool. And since PvP fights as a caster are too short for regen to become a big factor, the Erudite mana pool advantage is obviously a big deal. Velious gear will reduce this advantage somewhat, but not as greatly as it will on Blue, since resist gear will still be the priority in PvP over INT/mana. At the very high end, however, Iksars will come out ahead.

So basically, I would recommend going Iksar if you're a Blue player with an endgame raiding focus, or if you are able to twink your Necro with a good amount of INT gear. I would recommend going Erudite if you're a Red player, if you are starting a new Necro from scratch with nothing, or if you are just trying to make a farming alt to level to the low 50s as quickly as possible. If you are an ultra neckbeard who will for sure have BiS or near-BiS on either Blue or Red, go Iksar.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:47 PM
Kobold

Informative posts guys.

Only played Iksar to 54, but I found these considerations to be very interesting. For a while I've been thinking about rolling a Necro from another race when I reach max level, and now I have more to think about.
Closed Thread