Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 09:20 AM
Sarnak

I'd take a Erudite with the higher mana pool and racial +5 SV Magic for PvP.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:12 AM
Fire Giant

5mr doesn't give you infinite regen
Old 11-20-2015, 11:05 AM
Planar Protector

Erudites are flat out superior for PvP, at least during Kunark-era. With high-end Velious loot Iksars pull ahead again.

People don't realize how abysmal the low-INT Iksar mana pool is when wearing normal Kunark resist gear. Compare:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Blue:Erudmancer

to

http://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Blue:Iksarmancer

500 extra mana blows away regen in PvP fights, most of which are either won or lost in under 2 minutes as an INT caster. This is especially true for Necros who often rely on spamming lifetaps for both offensive (unresistable) and defensive (healing) purposes. 500 mana is 2.5 extra casts of Deflux, totaling approximately 500 damage and 750 healing in PvP. That's a 1250 HP differential in a 1v1 (500 damage to opponent, 750 self healed). 2.5 casts of Deflux takes approximately 12 seconds, or two ticks. Can an Iksar regen 1250 HP in two ticks? Obviously not. Iksar regen doesn't even begin to make up for their severe mana disadvantage in 99% of PvP fights.

But to be fair, that's really about the only strong argument for not going Iksar. Unless you are planning to PvP on your Necro in Kunark-era gear, make the lizard. High end Velious gear practically nullifies the Erudite INT advantage and regen once again reigns supreme.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:51 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uteunayr [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
All about the stylish, awesome FD animation. No other race matches the beauty of the overly Shakespearean, glorious flop. The others just lay on their sides and curl up like they are weak and pathetic.

Really, I see 2 big reasons for not being Iksar.

1) You made your character pre-Kunark. Not everyone can reroll, or should. I did because it was important to me that my character not be a throttle on my performance.

2) You have a subjective attachment to another race. There is no one who can tell you you shouldn't be a Dark Elf Necromancer if you find value in being a Dark Elf. That's subjective, and that's the way you assign value. That's why when I updated information on the necromancer page, I stated "Go Iksar if you care about min/maxing and having a leg up in terms of efficiency. Non-Iksar can still get the job done." If min/maxing is something which concerns you (being the numerically best race), then go Iksar. But there are other concerns people can have when making their character.

My concern in telling people to go Iksar so often is because too many people come to Project 1999 from games like World of Warcraft, where race by and large doesn't matter much at all. Because of this, they pick any race, and by the time they are level 40-50 and start to learn the class a lot more, it hits them: Oh, Iksar is numerically better. Now, if you're someone who values the race you chose over the regeneration, AC, etc. Then you wont have a problem, and all of this "Go Iksar!" shit wont bother you. But if you're someone that does care, suddenly you're trapped with a character, and you'll keep leveling the one with the inferior race (in terms of min/max) because of sunk costs. That is what I want to prevent people from doing. People should know the value of Iksar, and of the other races, before making a choice so they never feel trapped in sunk costs.
Your sig makes me wanna vomit
Closed Thread