Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 02:41 PM
Aviak

the basics of the nerf are this...

If you are soloing and do less than 50% damage to the mob, then your pet gets 70% exp, and you get 30% exp

If you do more than 50% of the damage to the mob, then you get 100% exp.

If you are grouped, none of this applies.

Thus, what people do... is have pet do like 90% of the damage, then kill their own pet, thus all that damage was done by a "non-entity" and you doing the last 10% of the damage means you get 100% exp every time.

If you resummon a pet to do the last 10%, then all the previous 90% damage done by the pet will apply toward the new pet.

I have been trying to test various grouping scenarios, and I think that grouping even works when group mate is outside of zone, but its hard to tell when you're only getting slivers of exp per mob at the higher levels anyway. It would be nice if a lower level mage could test this since the exp gained is much more significant, and easier to validate.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:24 PM
Orc

I never played a pet class on live, but at levels 8-11 as of right now. I'm getting roughly 1% exp per kill (I'm hunting near the minotaur caves in Steamfont, if the level of the mobs matter.) I tried killing my pet once the mob started to flee and didn't notice much of a difference, but I wasn't exactly paying attention. I'll see what I can come up with now that I have a better idea of what the pet nerf is.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:38 PM
Kobold

Holy crap only 30 percent xp? I just got back after a year and was wondering what was going on lol. So what you are saying is I have to kill 3 mobs now to equal one mob before? Was it like this on live? As a Necro I should just probably root/dot.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:50 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by feste [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Holy crap only 30 percent xp? I just got back after a year and was wondering what was going on lol. So what you are saying is I have to kill 3 mobs now to equal one mob before? Was it like this on live? As a Necro I should just probably root/dot.
The higher you get on a necro, the easier it is to out dmg pet for extended periods of time. Lower level you end up burning alot of mana to make sure you out damage pet, or you can do like I do. This is also why you see necros at lower lvl duo'ing or grouping ALOT more than they used to (same with mages).

On my 35 necro I will darkness, fear(remember dots do full dmg when feared, but only around 66% dmg when snared coming towards you), dot it up, at 80% ill let my pet join in, then when it starts running, I call my pet off and let dots finish out. I dot it up just enough that dots will usually wear about the time it dies, or shortly before.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:52 PM
Kobold

totally. thats what I started doing. I was practicing on hill giants and it turns out that dooming + boil blood + scourge is 100 hp over half damage. pulling the pet off at the end till the dots wear off is the key.
this link here that I found on morsakin's post shows the hp for all the mobs.http://web.archive.org/web/200211292...cticiousname9/
After some looking its not that big of a pain to out damage the pet.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:00 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to kingsBlend

do you have to be in the same zone as your group for the xp penalty to go away?
Old 05-18-2012, 12:56 PM
Kobold

I dunno about that would be cool if you didn't have to be.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:32 AM
Orc

What he meant about it not mattering if you are in a group is because your pet will never out damage the group...

On to another matter:

I am leveling a necro (played a bard first but couldnt find a group and i am new to the server) and I can have my pet on the mob till it hits about 75%, I cast ONE single poison bolt and the mob runs to me. I have been tanking everything and its stupid, what is the point of having a pet if they dont generate agro? I have also been having a hell of a time trying to find a group at lower levels (around level 10 now). I cant out damage my pet unless I dump a full bar of mana into it...
Old 05-20-2012, 01:56 PM
Fire Giant

What is the deal with pets taking xp if you are grouped but let the pet do 100 percent of the damage? does he steel xp then?
Old 06-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Large Bat

I know we're all here for the "classic" Everquest experience, but the developers have the benefit of learning from the game's initial mistakes and shortcomings. I think penalizing mages for using their most mana-efficient dmg ability is silly. Make us do at least 1 dmg so you know we (probably) aren't afk, and after that I don't see why something that is such a huge part of our class and solo ability would penalize us SO heavily.

Having started the EQ experience again here on Project 1999, I've realized there are parts of the game I really missed, and parts of the game that made it what it was even if we don't love them, and then there's things like this which are penalizing us just for the sake of penalizing us.
Closed Thread