Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 06:34 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobr [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just tried this and it seemed to work... memory blur enemy mob when its under, let it regen 1 tick of hp, and nuke it. Ur pet gets no exp u get 100%. amirite?
This would work if your memblur is successful. It's not 100% fail-proof, so you might wanna memblur two or three times to be sure. Personally, I prefer to let the two mobs grind each other down, then I kill both for xp so I don't have to worry about the charmed pet breaking while I am medding. You are correct that the existence of aggro determines xp distribution though!
Last edited by Vermicelli; 07-09-2012 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: more info
Old 07-10-2012, 02:09 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermicelli [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This would work if your memblur is successful. It's not 100% fail-proof, so you might wanna memblur two or three times to be sure. Personally, I prefer to let the two mobs grind each other down, then I kill both for xp so I don't have to worry about the charmed pet breaking while I am medding. You are correct that the existence of aggro determines xp distribution though!
This is why i said let it regen 1 tick of hp. Memblur works the first time usually, and sometimes it takes 2. If you get the mob down to like 13% then let it regen one tick to 18% before you nuke it, youll know your memblur was successful based on the regen tick. This also allows you to charm a stronger mob and fight weaker ones if you wish (I think it's faster because of the dps).. then of course you kill your pet off when it is done.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:56 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobr [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is why i said let it regen 1 tick of hp. Memblur works the first time usually, and sometimes it takes 2. If you get the mob down to like 13% then let it regen one tick to 18% before you nuke it, youll know your memblur was successful based on the regen tick.
Very clever! Mobs regen HP faster "out of combat," which would happen if memblur succeeded, so you would know for sure that you would get 100% of the xp on the kill since your charmed pet no longer claims any threat in the fight.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:14 PM
Kobold

Reverse charming is also a way around the exp problem. Tash/root/charm/equip weapons/haste//break charm. Charm other critter and send it on the 1st. Break charm when near dead, kill, repeat.
This isn't as important here as it was in later expansions where the charmed pets damage was reduced, yet it still can be effective in some situations. Another downside is that on this server gear you give to a charmed critter is not returned when you kill it, so you'll want a few sets of pet weapons.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:53 AM
Kobold

This makes me want to play my Chanter again
Old 08-08-2012, 02:13 PM
Kobold

is a set of charisma gear cheap to get? I'm trying to do the chanter thing. just starting really.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:01 PM
Sarnak

You can get 51 cha from getting the gear i started my cha gear with. Crude Stein, glamour rod, opalline earrings, golden cat eye bracers. The rod costs 400-500 probably but i quested mine on my own. The other stuff is <50p each. More expensive items are platinum cat eye necklace (9cha) and the star ruby rings that give 7cha and 5dex. I have one of those and got a squad ring (5cha) from halfling guards in misty. People let them rot all the time.

Cha is important but its not like hitting 200 is gonna give you perfect charms. I have 203 now and still get early breaks. I do suggest getting 130+ before using a charm strategy. Its an art..i love it. I camped my own goblin gazughi ring too...that thing is absolutely lovely. Best advice, especially when starting out, is to charm in open spaces with melee only mobs.

Jboots and the goblin ring are life and mana savers.
Last edited by Phinger; 08-08-2012 at 06:03 PM..
Old 08-08-2013, 11:39 PM
Aviak

Just want to share my method of breaking charm, which in my opinion is better than using hide as a Dark Elf. Our level 1 spell Taper Enchantment is actually a very useful spell as it only costs 5 mana to cast and, unlike hide and its chance at not being successful, dispels charm every time.

There were a few instances when my charmed pet and the mob I am fighting are both low HP but not yet fleeing when I attempt to hide and it was not successful at truly invising me then root breaks and mob kills my charmed pet. This has happened a few times and made me look for alternatives to any form of invis. Since I started using Taper I have not lost exp due to this problem!
Mistersmilez - P99 Monk <Forceful Entry>
Vermouth - R99 Druid
Old 08-09-2013, 07:25 AM
Planar Protector

So my enc is 19 with 200cha. Am I a glutton for punishment soloing in uguk? Should I head out to Oasis/LOIO to do my charming? How is EK/HPH, or any other open recommendations?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:05 AM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by falkun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So my enc is 19 with 200cha. Am I a glutton for punishment soloing in uguk? Should I head out to Oasis/LOIO to do my charming? How is EK/HPH, or any other open recommendations?
I honestly find outdoor zones 100x easier and faster.

12-21ish orcs and crocs in Oasis
19-23/24 Overthere or LOIO
24-29 <--- grouped in MM
29-35 Overthere (this is where i am now)
Closed Thread