Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 10:47 AM
Large Bat

Default SK or Rogue?

Hiyas,
I use to play EQ when it came out for many years, and recently discovered P99. I currently have severarl low lvl toons trying to make up my mind what I would like to play. I've narrowed my choices down to Shadowknight or a Rogue. What is the going opinion on which of these two would be able to get groups? I prefer to hunt with people over soloing.

Sincerely
Bum
Old 09-05-2015, 08:48 AM
Fire Giant

Rogue will definitely find groups a lot easier, but you're deciding between two very different characters, so the question really is more about what you want to be doing in game.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:18 AM
Planar Protector

SK's are a lot more fun imo, and if you want to wait till next patch (hopefully), hybrid penalties will be lifted.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:26 AM
Sarnak

Totally different play styles with these two.

SK are often considered the "best" grouping tank because of their solid snap agro and ability to pull when needed. You may have issues with groups until the XP penalty is lifted, however. SK can solo slowly but steadily with fear kiting. Can be a busy class if you're playing it to full potential with all the utility.

Every group would love to have 1-3 rogues. They're tip top sustained DPS and pretty simple to play. This can also make it boring. I often find myself frustrated with my rogue's lack of ability to solo or duo with a healer (only if it's a shaman tanking for you), but rarely go without a group when I want one.

Either class can get around in dangerous places.

GL with your choice!

Life's hard when you're stupid.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:03 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itap [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
SK's are a lot more fun imo, and if you want to wait till next patch (hopefully), hybrid penalties will be lifted.
Tanks can only occupy one slot in a group, rogues are generally a great addition to any open dps slot (usually 3-4 to work with).

Combine that with everyone waiting for the hybrid penalty to be removed before they level their SK/paladin/etc... and you'll struggle for a group as a SK unless you can organize those groups yourself.

For that reason, and if you think you'd enjoy topping DPS charts... go rogue [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] <3
Old 09-05-2015, 11:36 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Tanks can only occupy one slot in a group, rogues are generally a great addition to any open dps slot (usually 3-4 to work with).

Combine that with everyone waiting for the hybrid penalty to be removed before they level their SK/paladin/etc... and you'll struggle for a group as a SK unless you can organize those groups yourself.

For that reason, and if you think you'd enjoy topping DPS charts... go rogue [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] <3
This man speaks the truth, he has (had) a 55+ SK so he knows from personal experience.

But still, SKs can do some cool shit with pulling, especially with the addition of Death Peace. Rogues, while they are the best dps, are a one trick pony
Old 09-05-2015, 11:51 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itap [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rogues, while they are the best dps, are a one trick pony
I disagree with this. Too many ppl consider rogues boring or a one trick pony but that's only if they've never played one or don't know how to play one well. CR happens all the time while raiding so Rogues are super useful to get the raid quickly recuperated. Poisons can also play an important part in raids or even while leveling (on live I used to solo cuz i had the right poisons on my blade). Also, Halflings can't be SKs but can be rogues & we all know who the masta race is. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

To the OP's question: have you considered what you want to be doing once you're 60? Or are you looking strictly at the leveling process? SKs are GREAT at off-tanking adds in super dangerous places where 1 add could mean a wipe, like NToV. They're quite useful in many ways.

Personally, I never understood the hate against hybrids (ok, well, Iksar SKs ya lol). As a main rogue on live & on p99, I can tell you straight up that in xp groups a paladin or SK main tank is FAR superior to a warrior tank. Even moreso, if u consider all the twink rogues running around w/Ragebringer at lvl 10. Yes, they'll be taking a bit of xp away but you'll be killing shiz WAY faster cuz, as a rogue, u can essentially start backstabbing as soon as Disease Cloud or Flash of Light land.
First Rogue on Xegony to attain Make Poison (200) & Apply Poison (200)
Old 09-05-2015, 11:59 AM
Banned

If you would like to be a self sufficient tank/puller go SK. Rogues are a great class, offer a lot of versatility, they aren't just a stab and drag type of class. I have a lot of fun with my rogue personally.

When choosing between a Shadow knight and a Rogue, its two different play styles, I chose SK over anything. But it depends on how you would like to play EQ.

EDit: the penalities aren't huge, I always created my own groups, so much easier. I didn't have much of problem reaching 60, when I was LFG I would just solo throughout the lands. Something some classes don't do that well above 50+
Old 09-05-2015, 12:55 PM
Large Bat

Default My thoughts

I played both back in the day. I like both tanking and beating the crap out of stuff. Was just curious as to thoughts on one's ability to get groups, as I like grouping and didn't want to roll something that would have a hard time. What are thoughts on being a complete beginner here on P99 and not being twinked as a tank?
Last edited by Bumrusch; 09-05-2015 at 12:58 PM..
Old 09-05-2015, 01:50 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faited [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
we all know who the masta race is. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Barbarian /nod
Closed Thread