Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

View Poll Results: First class on fresh green?
Bard 34 8.33%
Cleric 26 6.37%
Druid 39 9.56%
Enchanter 53 12.99%
Magician 28 6.86%
Monk 17 4.17%
Necromancer 47 11.52%
Paladin 18 4.41%
Ranger 12 2.94%
Rogue 11 2.70%
Shadow knight 15 3.68%
Shaman 44 10.78%
Warrior 15 3.68%
Wizard 25 6.13%
Won't play on a new server 24 5.88%
Voters: 408. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2023, 01:52 AM
Kobold

I played an enchanter for most of the classic era.

A few things are different that make enchanters markedly stronger:

+Lull spells work - they did not in classic. People knew how they SHOULD have worked - by the time I started playing, in february 2000, the spell files were broken down and the information on how spells worked was widely available. I knew how lulls worked or should have. They just did not work. They weren't fixed until midway through Luclin AFAIK - my guess it was a stealth addition in the luclin resist patch. While enchanters are not the only class to have the spell line, the rest of their arsenal make them in a better position to take advantage of the spell line.

+The resist rate are much lower on P99 on certain ranges of mobs: In classic, any mob could resist you - even greens. You always had a minimal chance to get resisted. In p99, provided you have a sufficient level advantage, you will not get resisted. High blues, yellow, red cons - this seems to work fine in p99. But mid and low blues, no. In classic, you could (would) get a string of resists and it would kill you. Now this is not particular to enchanters specifically, but I feel this is having a greater impact in mitigating risk.

The channeling thing, I don't buy it. In classic, once you got high enough, you could reliably channel. I suspect channeling worked the same way as tradeskills do,which is to follow this patter: https://wiki.project1999.com/SimplifiedTradeskillTable . So it probably is a lot easier at lower levels but overall I don't think this is meaningful.
Last edited by Iumuno; 02-17-2023 at 02:02 AM..
Old 02-17-2023, 04:34 AM
Planar Protector

Warrior, because they are the best.
Old 02-17-2023, 01:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iumuno [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I played an enchanter for most of the classic era.

A few things are different that make enchanters markedly stronger:

+Lull spells work - they did not in classic. People knew how they SHOULD have worked - by the time I started playing, in february 2000, the spell files were broken down and the information on how spells worked was widely available. I knew how lulls worked or should have. They just did not work. They weren't fixed until midway through Luclin AFAIK - my guess it was a stealth addition in the luclin resist patch. While enchanters are not the only class to have the spell line, the rest of their arsenal make them in a better position to take advantage of the spell line.

+The resist rate are much lower on P99 on certain ranges of mobs: In classic, any mob could resist you - even greens. You always had a minimal chance to get resisted. In p99, provided you have a sufficient level advantage, you will not get resisted. High blues, yellow, red cons - this seems to work fine in p99. But mid and low blues, no. In classic, you could (would) get a string of resists and it would kill you. Now this is not particular to enchanters specifically, but I feel this is having a greater impact in mitigating risk.

The channeling thing, I don't buy it. In classic, once you got high enough, you could reliably channel. I suspect channeling worked the same way as tradeskills do,which is to follow this patter: https://wiki.project1999.com/SimplifiedTradeskillTable . So it probably is a lot easier at lower levels but overall I don't think this is meaningful.
Very informative, thanks! Now if only someone could provide classic evidence of that, maybe we could get Enchanters closer to classic!

(I would, but I'm terrible at it. I even made the https://wiki.project1999.com/Classic_Research page and re-made Nilbog's https://wiki.project1999.com/Classic...ch_Walkthrough to try and get better ... and I still suck [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]).

As for:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iumuno [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The channeling thing, I don't buy it. In classic, once you got high enough, you could reliably channel.
You're actually in agreement with the bug:

Quote:
Channeling rate on P99 seems to be inaccurately high particularly at lower levels.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 02-17-2023, 01:30 PM
Planar Protector

Im gonna do a High Elf Wizard this time.

I never played a wizard, ever! Will be fun to learn how on a green reset for me.

I was contemplating warrior, but I think I want to do magic.
Old 02-17-2023, 02:17 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
+Lull spells work - they did not in classic.
I feel like we've established this before, but maybe there just wasn't enough info about how it was broken to reimplement here? I remember reading a dev forum post on it. Anyway, it would definitely bring the power level down a lot on Ench, but at the expense of Pal/Cleric/Bard dynamism, which is sad.
Old 02-17-2023, 02:18 PM
Fire Giant

As for the question at hand, I'll probably roll Monk or SK and reroll in Kunark. Hybrids are just so good in classic, even if the normies shun them.
Old 02-17-2023, 02:24 PM
Planar Protector

I don't understand what people are saying about magician and their pets. Is classic broken for them to get a pet every spell level. And how long before it is fixed after classic release.
Old 02-17-2023, 03:43 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobaber [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Im gonna do a High Elf Wizard this time.

I never played a wizard, ever! Will be fun to learn how on a green reset for me.

I was contemplating warrior, but I think I want to do magic.
Same I’m gonna do wizzy, never done it but nuking stuff sounds fun and they’re considered bad groupers so a new server when every1 is forced to level together and there’s plenty of groups sounds perfect to me

Edit: that or Rogue for the same reason

Characters: Fappas (Level 50 Halfling Cleric - Green)
Old 02-17-2023, 03:56 PM
Planar Protector

You're not a real person, you're a sock puppet account. You only exist in the forum, so you can't play any class.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 02-17-2023, 07:35 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I feel like we've established this before, but maybe there just wasn't enough info about how it was broken to reimplement here? I remember reading a dev forum post on it. Anyway, it would definitely bring the power level down a lot on Ench, but at the expense of Pal/Cleric/Bard dynamism, which is sad.
As far as I remember, the equivalent bard songs did work though.