Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 07:54 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asap [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And the mages were envious of you being able to root [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Or just clicking their earring of living slime
Old 06-15-2013, 02:57 PM
Fire Giant

You should put the majority of your bonus points into sta and split the rest between str and int

Stat points above the 200 soft cap in int or wis are pretty much wasted - you get about 4 points of mana per into point over the soft cap - so from 200 to 255 int youre only gettting about 220 mana points - which isnt even one lure of ice.

HP/Resist gearing is very important for ALL classes, and it is even more important for wizards. Mana takes care of itself - you will hit the softcap very quickly and once you hit 200int you should right away start getting into +mana gear. It amazes me how many wizards hard cap out on int (and seem to be the only class that does in such high numbers)

When you get to raiding, you will rarely dump your whole mana bar into DPS. Most mobs are dead before you can drain your whole bar. If you are grouping, you will rarely be full mana, at which point the extra mana pool is useless.

And in comes the 'well what if im quadding i need the mana pool' - - i only put 3 bonus points into int and I quadded just fine.

This int/sta argument will never end, but a good EQ rule of thumb is - - int/wis points over softcap are not good and better spent on other stats.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:41 PM
Orc

Just some thoughts on wiz

-Not sure why everyone wants to put points into str, once you get your first gates being encumbered will no longer be an issue. I'd just go sta and int. In fact, I'm not really convince that any class should put points into str... Maybe monk, don't really know anything about monks.

-If you're planning on quadding/AE grouping, and not much dungeon crawling with groups, mana pool is key, so go int. If you wont be quadding/AE grouping, will only be dungeon crawling/raiding, then mana regen, resists, hp/ac are more important then mana pool and you might want to go mostly sta to start with. Either way your robe will say "Fragile, handle with care". If you can twink wiz to start with, prob best to go sta, since int is fairly easy to get high.

-Soloing btw lvls 20-34 is absolute hell for a wizard, and no you cannot really quad with twink gear btw 20-29, you get snare at 29 so that helps a lot. So make friends, and be really nice to bards. A wizard with lvl appropriate gear (so not twinked) can quad with the lvl 34 AE spell. The lvl 34 AE is the most mana efficient until lvl 51, so get it and use it.

-People have already mentioned staff of temporal flux and jboots, but I want to reiterate that these are essential quadding gear. Unlike a druid, wiz snare is an AE, so 4 mobs at once and cost too much mana to keep casting. Wizards pull with staff clicky and stack mobs at their full run speed (sow or jboots needed to outrun them). The staff is also good to give a blind range on mobs, meaning you can click staff until you get a mob out of range message, then you know you have enough distance to snare without getting hit. Wizards are kind of the Corvette of quadding, from initial pull to end takes around a min and a half at lvl 60... Staff of temporal flux can also be used to hold agro by clicking it repeatedly on mob, I'll leave the uses for this to your imaginations.

-Wizard is amazing dps (On any one shoot fight, while mana holds, and dependent on not getting agro). In a group a wizards dps is dependent on mana regeneration rate per mob (C2/bard songs help a lot obviously). So if the group is pulling really slowly, then yes the wizard can be decent dps, but if the group is pulling fast the wizards dps drops fast too.

-The best tip I can give for grouping is to always keep a decent mana supply for emergency dps (Gandalf this mob) and evac (so figure out how much you need to keep to be able to evac even with a fizzle or two). In a group with regular pulls I wouldn't nuke until mana was at least 70%. This also gives consistent, often low, dps; which makes having a wizard in group bearable for everyone else.

-In terms of research tips, I just used the points at GM to get skill to trivial. It cost a bit, but usually I was able to afford getting my skill trivial for the level I wanted (I was relatively poor since wiz was first toon). I did it as needed, so can't remember the actually cost, but my best guess is skilling research to 200 skill is about 6k. Why waste runes or spend time farming for practice ruins?

-If you need to be doing something at all times and cannot stand waiting, being a wizard is not for you. Even in a group a wizards life is waiting till you're needed for; emergency CC, emergency dps, evacs, stunning caster mobs, or till you have X% mana to nuke.

Azzudniz
Old 06-16-2013, 08:56 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_Smith [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
temporal flux
It's temperate flux, as in it makes the monster more vulnerable to temperature (fire and cold resists go down). It has nothing to do with time!

Pretty good post other than that, though I'm still skeptical about putting starting points into STA (since the HP return is so tiny for casters) and I'm pretty sure I quadded Everfrost mammoths successfully once I got AE snare at 29 without considerable twinkage. (I think I might have quadded even before AE snare when a kind druid tossed me a SoW.) If you don't have JBoots at that level you can still beg SoWs off of people and/or buy a SoW potion or two if you manage your money well.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 06-16-2013, 12:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's temperate flux, as in it makes the monster more vulnerable to temperature (fire and cold resists go down). It has nothing to do with time!

Pretty good post other than that, though I'm still skeptical about putting starting points into STA (since the HP return is so tiny for casters) and I'm pretty sure I quadded Everfrost mammoths successfully once I got AE snare at 29 without considerable twinkage. (I think I might have quadded even before AE snare when a kind druid tossed me a SoW.) If you don't have JBoots at that level you can still beg SoWs off of people and/or buy a SoW potion or two if you manage your money well.
Agree with this. For 99% of the p99 population i think putting most points into INT will yield the best returns, unless you know for a fact that you're wiz is going to have BiS equipment when they hit 60. But even if that's true, you still have to go through levels 1-59 before you get there. Is it worth it to gimp your INT for those levels to have 30 extra hitpoints (if that) by level 60?

I also quadded mammoths quite easily, but they turn light blue at 32, and this seems to be a weird level in terms of finding the right mobs to kite. Stuff in OT is still a bit too high. Where is a good place to quad at 32 & 33, preferably stuff around level 25? (SK spires not enough mobs.)
Old 06-16-2013, 02:32 PM
Orc

Now that you mention it I quadded mammoths at about lvl 29 as well, with sow pots. iirc it was usually pretty rough, but I was learning how to do it then, so that no doubt increased the difficulty. I continued to quad them when they were lb, but more for the pp then xp. At the time it hadn't occurred to me to make another toon to farm for plat.

I didn't regret putting the points into int until my wiz was lvl 60. True it's not a lot of hp at that lvl, it's about 60 hp, but with enlightenment my wiz would still be about 255 int if I'd had put the points into sta instead. It's pretty rare that 60 hp would makes a diff, but it happens... That said, a wizard without mana is in trouble, and maybe I'd be really regretting not putting the points into int if I hadn't (The grass is always greener).

As for were to quad at 32-34, sk spires would have been my best guess, although I did not have enough mana at that lvl to quad them (my gear was really bad).

AzzudnXX
Old 06-17-2013, 08:31 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Agree with this. For 99% of the p99 population i think putting most points into INT will yield the best returns, unless you know for a fact that you're wiz is going to have BiS equipment when they hit 60. But even if that's true, you still have to go through levels 1-59 before you get there. Is it worth it to gimp your INT for those levels to have 30 extra hitpoints (if that) by level 60?

I also quadded mammoths quite easily, but they turn light blue at 32, and this seems to be a weird level in terms of finding the right mobs to kite. Stuff in OT is still a bit too high. Where is a good place to quad at 32 & 33, preferably stuff around level 25? (SK spires not enough mobs.)
Firiona Vie all the way. Exit the town and take a right along the cliff - tons of wandering mobs and a large area to safely quad in. Way better than OT in every respect IMO.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 06-18-2013, 11:10 AM
Fire Giant

stat distribution is also heavily dependent upon race - - imho erudite has the best stats for wiz because of the high base int and high base sta - you can take the 5pt agi penalty because you will get lots of gear that adds agi and easily put you over 75. if you roll an eru you can afford to put few points into int and lots of points into sta, at which point you will have sta and int stats that you wont possibly be able to roll with any other race.

now the hide argument - hide is an awesome skill and dark elf is great race for wiz, however hide will eventually be nerfed, so keep that in mind when rolling. the de stats are very good as well, but sta and int arent quite as high as eru and you get the 90points of agi, which isnt really of much help.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytherin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Or just clicking their earring of living slime
CT will never be revamped on p99.

http://wiki.project1999.com/index.php/Timeline
Old 09-10-2013, 02:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by melton80 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
By alot of the comments on this post i can tell alot of you know close to nothing about a wizard, a wizard isnt suppose to be sustained DPS they are a burst class, like comparing apples to oranges. I can tell alot of u r just sheep repeating what others say cause they been in bad groups with a wizard. But remember if u can, comparing a burst class with a sustained dps class is stupid, they r 2 totally different kinds of dps.
Well, in a perfect world, you'd be 100% right.

1615 damage for a sunstrike every ~9.5 seconds is 170+ DPS. That's a ton, right? Close to double what a rogue will do sustained in a level 60 group grinding level 50+ mobs. Except that landing a sunstrike is going to be a ton of aggro and it can be resisted, especially if you're fighting something that is so buff that you're freaking out about needing to burn it down asap. At lower levels the problems are the same: wizards can do burst damage theoretically but they probably will just be getting aggro and having to stun/kite/channel/manage aggro, all of which will decrease damage by a lot.

I'd be surprised to witness a 60 wizard do over 100 DPS "burst" (meaning DPS over the course of a single NPC's life) in a group situation without it being more trouble than it's worth (sure you did 140 DPS on Emperor Chottal, but doing so got you dotted twice and beat to hell which OOMed the cleric and annoyed all the rest of the group cause the mob was summoning and changing facing so the rogues weren't able to backstab, etc). Meanwhile the rogue/monk/charmers are doing 70-100 DPS sustained, perhaps 150 burst if you're looking at a charmer who is also casting for damage or a monk/rogue with disc.

I would love to be proven wrong though!
Closed Thread