Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 12:35 PM
Kobold

Default Is this ever enforced on this server?

I see people always complain about camp rules, train rules, harassment rules, etc, but I see this one broken every day and not a peep (I will not mention names). Ironically, many of the people spouting off the other rules are in violation of this one.

Just curious.

Naming Policy

Character names in EverQuest should be thematically consistent with the high-fantasy environment of EverQuest. These guidelines apply both forenames and surnames, and also to the combination produced by a forename and surname. (For example, the first name Clint and the last name Eastwood are both acceptable names separately, but Clint Eastwood is not.)

The server staff can, in accordance with all described rules and ultimate discretion, provide assistance with surname changes, including names with multiple capital letters and/or a single accent grave (`). Examples of this are Kirn V`Last, Harl McTarnigal, Leeza MacTeagan.

The server staff will be happy to change your surnames on request, however we will not provide forename changes unless the name violates the naming policy.

The following names are considered unacceptable.

Vile, profane, rude, or racist names including common swear words, anatomical references, racial slurs, and homonyms of these words.

Combinations of words that produce an offensive result (e.g. Hugeazz, Tug Mcgroin).

Names of religious, occult, or significant historic origin (e.g. Jesus, Allah, Satan, Stalin).

Copyrighted or trademarked names of products, characters, services, or concepts (e.g. Bigmac, Marlboro, Sony).

Names from popular media. These names can be either fictional (e.g. Rambo, Darthvader) or non-fictional (e.g. Garth Brooks, Pierce Brosnan, George Washington, Michael Jordan).

Common words and phrases that would not be found in the time, place and setting of EverQuest (e.g. Switchblade, Phaser, Toaster, Cannabis).

Proper names from EverQuest (e.g. Rathe, Karana). This also includes the first or last name of any significant EverQuest NPC (e.g. Dorn, Trumpy, Karn).

The names of senior Customer Support Representatives or developers of Project 1999 (e.g. Nilbog, Rogean, Amelinda).

Names chosen with the intent or possessed with the effect of harming the reputation of a player or Customer Service Representative.

Forenames containing titles within them, such as, but not limited to: The, Lord, Lady, Master, King, Knight, Sir, Father (e.g. Sirtallon, Lordeagle, Mothermaggy, Darksister).

Names that contain sentences (Ikillorcs), phrases (Ontop), or two or more words that do not form descriptive compound words (Petcarbob, Diediedie and Tablechair).

Descriptive compound words are allowed in first names and are encouraged in surnames (e.g. Treehugger, Giantslayer).

Descriptive compound words (each separate part of the word and the entire word) must otherwise adhere to all other naming rules.

Fantasy-oriented names which are easily recognized from popular existing media (e.g. Merlin, Gandalf, Drizzt).

Names where the combination of the first and last name forms a phrase or violate a previous rule (e.g. Crymea River, Bran Muffin, Story Thyme).

For all of the above, misspellings and alternative spellings (such as spelling it backwards) of the word or words are also unacceptable.

For all of the above, any foreign variations are also unacceptable. If a player petitions a name he or she feels is offensive in a foreign language, all rules set forth shall be applied.

Above all else, you may not choose character or guild name which, in the sole and absolute discretion of the Project 1999 Customer Service Staff, is deemed to be offensive or improper.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:37 PM
Sarnak

inb4 he claims "trolling"
Last edited by kenzar; 09-24-2013 at 12:45 PM..
Old 09-24-2013, 12:37 PM
Planar Protector

You do not want to do this.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:45 PM
Sarnak

-_-
Old 09-24-2013, 12:47 PM
Fire Giant

This server is run by volunteers who work full time jobs. I doubt they want to police silly things that really don't affect your game play.

Being annoyed by a typed word is silly.

That being said, if you find something that is really offending you, I'm sure you could report it and it will be changed.

Personally, I like when the idiots name themselves stupid names. It's an quick warning to avoid them.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:53 PM
Sarnak

ive attempted to use the naming policy against my own characters name that I really didnt like and was denied. it is not enforced unless your name is cuntlips or something of that nature.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:55 PM
Sarnak

WTS the name "Fucking"

yes I have it...get at me..
Old 09-24-2013, 12:55 PM
Fire Giant

A couple years back a GM went on a naming policy holocaust. I'm glad those dark days are behind us.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:56 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyra [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This server is run by volunteers who work full time jobs. I doubt they want to police silly things that really don't affect your game play.

Being annoyed by a typed word is silly.

That being said, if you find something that is really offending you, I'm sure you could report it and it will be changed.

Personally, I like when the idiots name themselves stupid names. It's an quick warning to avoid them.

LMAO this! I enjoy the names, get a laugh out of it. Strict naming policy was enforced on live because of two main reasons. The first was trademarks or celebrity names that could result in possible law suits. The other reason was ROLEPLAY. I remember a Dev on the forums about 10 years ago saying that if you played EQ and were trying to roleplay and a guy came along with a name like Hotrod would you feel more immersed in the game world? Answer is no. The only names that make me cringe now when I play are celebrity ones, cause I hate celebs lol.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:00 PM
Planar Protector

Ate a 24 hour unannounced suspension for the surname "Shithouse", despite having it during 2 GM events (Hobby/Uthgaard era) with no action taken at the time.

There is a policy here, in some form [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread