Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 09:34 PM
Kobold

Default Class for a static group

A few of my friends are rolling alts to level up together. One is a cleric, one a ranger and the other is debating a rogue or paladin.

I've narrowed my options down to warrior, monk, magician or wizard. Any suggestions on which would work best?
Old 08-02-2019, 09:47 PM
Fire Giant

ranger can pull and tank, you have heals locked down, go magician
Old 08-02-2019, 11:15 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by serjordanmormont [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A few of my friends are rolling alts to level up together. One is a cleric, one a ranger and the other is debating a rogue or paladin.

I've narrowed my options down to warrior, monk, magician or wizard. Any suggestions on which would work best?
Wizard is awful in a group. You'd probably be best rolling a mage.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:42 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by serjordanmormont [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
None of the above. With that group roll an enchanter, unless your main is an enchnater. If that's the case roll a shaman.

If you absolutely must pick one of the 4 you listed, do not roll a wiz, they are not a great grouping class. Don't roll a mage because they are an even worse xp parasite than wizards are. Warrior or monk are both good, and bot sort of covered by what the ranger can do. If your characters are all well twinkled and you stick to zones the ranger can harmony in, either the monk or the warrior can be pretty unnecessary.

The trick to rolling a great static groups is being sure you have all your bases covered so you can go to out of the way places and do cool stuff. You will need a slower for most of that.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:40 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfcell [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don't roll a mage because they are an even worse xp parasite than wizards are
wrong
Oralen - 60 Ranger <Core>
Old 08-03-2019, 12:53 AM
Planar Protector

Halfcell as in half a brain cell? Most of that advice is dead wrong or mostly misinformed
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:06 PM
Kobold

Mage is actually a really fun class to play specially if you have a static group to jam with. Solid pet dps, nukes, can summon so useful items and lot forget you can bring that alawys loved DS. Later on you can coth folks.

Warrior is great class but if you don't plan to raid kinds useless even though it is what I personally have alawys played lol.

Monks are just nasty all around. Nuff said.

Wizards get tons of hate, but very useful they are just not as good in this Era as later on. Tls, ports, massive nukes and if got forbid things get bad you can Flux staff mobs for agro, and kite them and save the day.

But the biggest thing in eq is play something your gonna enjoy. No point is wasting time on a class that doesn't call to you aka make you enjoy game play.
Last edited by Thermite; 08-03-2019 at 12:12 PM..
Old 08-03-2019, 12:39 PM
Banned

If you have to play one of the 4 you listed, its mage all the way.

A cleric healing a ranger (let's just assume your friend goes rogue over paladin) w/ no slows or clarity is going to be....humbling.

If you want a well-rounded 4 man static, one of you really ought to play a bard / enc / shaman to go w/ that cleric. The other two classes can be basically anything and it will work. Slow is just too good to ignore.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:25 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaezil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Halfcell as in half a brain cell? Most of that advice is dead wrong or mostly misinformed
Witty.

Almost all of my advice was opinion, for sure. The one thing that is not opinion is my comment on mages. A mage brings nothing to your group, except if this guy rolls a static group with no slower then the DS might be of marginal use. There is a reason every mage eventually becomes a coth bot or a mod rod factory. I am not saying mages aren't fun, they are, but they bring nothing to the listed static group except mediocre DPS and an extra person to split xp with. At least the wiz could port everyone around and eventually evac out.

Again, my intent was not to slam the listed classes, all of them are fun and in the right situations extremely useful, but for the listed static group all 4 have the potential of being superfluous. The monk and the warrior are probably the best bet, but if the OP really wants a great group bard, shaman, or enchanter are the missing piece.

On the positive side those are also 3 of the most fun classes in the game to play.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:54 AM
Orc

Monk if you want to slam things, enchanter or shaman if you wanna be even more helpfull!