Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 05:31 PM
Skeleton

I think the Troll Warrior is a little more iconic. Ogre warriors always struck me as min/max, not that there is anything wrong with that.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:43 PM
Aviak

Not sure how I made the decision, but I made a halfling warrior
Old 11-12-2019, 10:17 AM
Planar Protector

I actually legitimately think halflings are on par with ogre and troll specifically just for warriors.

FSI and Regen are way less crazy on a war compared to SK/Shaman and for the most part see a small benefit.. One not far from hide and sneak both. The stats are great too though.

With warriors you can be whatever tbh. SKs lose more from not being big race since they only get bash not kick, and cast in combat, and have FD Regen bonuses

Halflings are one of the few hide races and the only way a warrior can sneak. Its powerful. Halflings also have one of the top warrior stat aggregates
Old 11-12-2019, 12:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Even if FSI isn't crucially important for a warrior, it sure as hell is convenient. No getting stunned and spinning in circles for 2 seconds. Ever.

Regen is hardly even convenient for a warrior imo. It's not like you're going to be soloing. Especially at 51+ when the regen amount gets more significant.
The stun/spin nightmare only happens from the side or back. Couple this with the larger races tendency to have clumsy escapes (at least in my experience) they tend to die from chain-spins more than the smaller races.

There are plenty of reasons to roll a biggie and I do think as a “tank” the ogre is amongst the best races for the job. FSI is my lowest priority though for a warrior. As a gnome mainly soloing in my mid 50’s I don’t even notice it let alone have had problems for lack of it.

As a side note with the way swing timers work it’s hardly a dps loss at all.
Last edited by Snaggles; 11-12-2019 at 12:13 PM..
Old 11-12-2019, 05:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The stun/spin nightmare only happens from the side or back. Couple this with the larger races tendency to have clumsy escapes (at least in my experience) they tend to die from chain-spins more than the smaller races.

There are plenty of reasons to roll a biggie and I do think as a “tank” the ogre is amongst the best races for the job. FSI is my lowest priority though for a warrior. As a gnome mainly soloing in my mid 50’s I don’t even notice it let alone have had problems for lack of it.

As a side note with the way swing timers work it’s hardly a dps loss at all.
Eh. You sure about the way spinstun works? It was always my understanding that any time you get bash stunned while turning, you spin at the speed you were turning until the stun wears off.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Eh. You sure about the way spinstun works? It was always my understanding that any time you get bash stunned while turning, you spin at the speed you were turning until the stun wears off.
Hmm...I'm never sure in this game, lol.

I just know I've never been spun from the front (certainly can't recall it in 50 some odd warrior solo levels). I have when fleeing or straffing but as an ogre, gnome and all that.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:30 PM
Planar Protector

If Baobob could connect with any of his bashes, I'd be able to provide some insight into this.

Hmm. I THINK I was in mid-turn when that one hit, and I didn't start spinning. Maybe you're right about it. I'll keep spastically twisting back and forth while facetanking stuff for a few fights. Lol.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 11-12-2019 at 05:34 PM..
Old 11-12-2019, 08:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
This is how it works.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:52 AM
Planar Protector

Yeah, I've been fiddling with trying to get bashed from the front on and off since Snaggles suggested it can't happen from the front. It definitely happens from the front. Maybe you just are rarely in mid turn when facing an NPC so you aren't noticing it.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:30 AM
Planar Protector

No race specific warrior traits are game makers/breakers but there are some key perks.

Large races: slam and generally superior stats (big perk)

Small races: mobility and not needing shrinks (minor perk)

Ogre specific: FSI. I’d argue this is most valuable at the high end. Minor stuns here and there on big mobs do result in less threat generation. This is most important when playing point man for a big raid. As a dwarf warrior on blue I’m not jealous of ogre stats. Most of the time I could care less about FSI but boy howdy there have been moments I’ve wished I had it when facing fast quad rounds and bashes from high mobs that had me stunned (and thus not swinging weapons to build threat).

Troll specific: regen. Especially on green, for the lifetime of your leveling this healing adds up a lot ... especially if/when you find yourself soloing or small grouping. At the very high end with raids this is less important but it is pretty damn noticalble even in a full group. When this takes off with kunark ... trolls simply need less healing ... a lot less of it. Passive regen cumulatively constitutes a majority of the healing your character gets over the course of its life and Trolls have double it. From 51+ it really takes off exponentially. Healing an iksar monk over time is much easier than a human. Healing a troll (and later iksar) warrior requires less mana over time, especially on grindy xp group content.

Halfling: sneak/hide is hard to put a price tag on. This is a very unique ability to have on this class which opens up possibilities.

Personally? If I started a warrior on green I’d choose Troll. It’s an objectively great choice but not necessarily BEST.

None of this makes or breaks the toon.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Last edited by Troxx; 11-13-2019 at 10:36 AM..
Closed Thread