Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 01:51 AM
Aviak

Default Does anyone else have a bad case of reroll-itis?

I admit it...

I'm one of those people with lots of toons, many of which are the same class - just a different race. I'm somehow willing to throw away 40+ hours of hard work on a certain toon because another player of the same class and a different race runs past me and I think to myself, "wow, that gnome warrior looks cool! What am I doing playing a barbarian? I want to be cool and unique!"

So I make that gnome warrior and I'm having an okay time, but the carry weight issue is annoying and the run animation for small races is retarded. So I see a human warrior run past me at some point, and I think to myself, "wow, that human looks great in full bronze! I want a human now!"

So I make that human warrior and I'm having an okay time, but now I feel... basic. Even though I'm playing a relatively uncommon race/class combo, I don't feel like I stand out in any way because humans are... well, humans. The goofy bucket helmet is an eyesore compared to the rest of the armor. So I see a wood elf warrior run past me at some point, and I think to myself, "wow, that wood elf looks fabulous in bronze! Time to be an emerald warrior now."

So I make that wood elf warrior, and I buy him a bunch of crushbone belts to get him up to level 10. Then I realize that while I've been doing all of this, people are doing SolB, Lguk, and other high end content while my original barbarian warrior is barely ready for a fireplace group in Unrest, and my various other toons are in Blackburrow / Crushbone.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm really indecisive about what race I want to spend the rest of my EQ career playing. I have a bad habit of impulsively rolling another toon because, hey, another player ran past me that looked cool. It's starting to cause burnout for me and that's a shame, because I really want to experience high end classic EQ gameplay. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-11-2019, 01:56 AM
Sarnak

Change class. I do the same on shaman, it's the class you subconsciously find boring
Old 11-11-2019, 02:01 AM
Sarnak

Think of it like the fashion show in Zoolander and "do not be distracted by the beautiful celebrities"!

But on a serious note I've been like this before, too. On blue I have a 22 bard and a level 9 necro and 7 monk. So maybe not rerolling the same class, but yes altitis is holding me back.

So I resolved on green to stick to my original toon, even if other toons seem more appealing. Currently rocking a 16 SHM, and it's been difficult, sure. There's gonna be times where leveling feels like a slog, or you're in a rough level range (was grouped with a 16 ranger today, talk about hell right there- can't even call yourself DPS for 16 levels) but the most important thing is tenacity. You're distracted by cool looking races, I'm distracted by forum posts complaining about mages needing research supplies to rock their level 30-something pets, or enchanters charm-solo'ing in their 30's. Just don't forget that every re-roll starts at level 1, and stick your course on the toon you have!
Old 11-11-2019, 02:11 AM
Planar Protector

I consider it every time I login, new starts on the new servers are fun...starting to see some light twinking in newbie zones now so you're not the only one OP [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-11-2019, 03:46 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransurian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
...I really want to experience high end classic EQ gameplay. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
High end... classic...

Once upon a time there were race tracks made of wood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Board_track_racing

EQ Classic is a wooden race track. At the end of the day it doesn't matter where you are relative to someone else, you're playing around in a piece of history. Right now, for the first time in 10 years, you have the option of playing characters that start completely naked and finding a group as ANY class.

I mean I'm not grouping with you scrubs, but shits awesome. I've had wizards tell me they don't want their research runes FOR FREE because they won't be AE kiting - as they can just FIND A GROUP.

These are rare times, enjoy them!
Old 11-11-2019, 08:46 AM
Sarnak

I have not not had altitis since original EQ. There I rolled a monk played him to 19 then switched to cleric and played him to max level. Since then, in every game I play I have to try about a million different toons.

I was trying really hard to pick a class and stick with it on Green, but here I am with a 22 warrior 14 wizard and now an 8 bard. Don't feel bad, if you are having fun that is all that matters I think.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:41 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorsmash [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Change class. I do the same on shaman, it's the class you subconsciously find boring
Eh... I suspect it's not the class, but rather the fact that every race has completely unique - and for the most part aesthetically pleasing - armor. So when you've been playing your toon for a while and suddenly a player shows up with the same armor but a completely new look, you want a piece of that.

EDIT: This is what I'm talking about. When you've been playing something like an ogre for 20 levels and suddenly you see something like this...

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

You lose motivation to play your current race because you want to be that cool new thing you don't see very often. It's like seeing a Tesla.
Last edited by Ransurian; 11-11-2019 at 09:50 AM..
Old 11-11-2019, 10:00 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I consider it every time I login, new starts on the new servers are fun...starting to see some light twinking in newbie zones now so you're not the only one OP [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Very interesting that we're seeing light twinking already. Makes me wonder how people will feel about the server in late Kunark. Will they still spend all their time on Green once everyone is twinked out? At that point, the only real difference in terms of the leveling experience on Blue vs. Green is degrees of twinking no?
Old 11-11-2019, 10:13 AM
Sarnak

Wtf Ransurian how are you getting normal bronze armor color schemes to show up? I've been seeing nothing but gold tints.

edit: also I think Crankfuse got himself a Langseax of the Wolves so he's even sexier now if he didn't sell it.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:34 AM
Planar Protector

People with good fashion make me want that character too [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Right now all I have is a human ranger halfling cleric ogre shaman but.. Ive been having struggles leveling everything because the characters I truly love to play I already have on blue. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Im starting to realize that my desire for a guised ranger is all I had, and the ranger class really troubles me.

Oddly though I never had a Cleric and for some reason I just like the class.

I always like priest classes and healers in every game. Sometimes tanks.