Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 03:07 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenderizer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
covid wasnt expected and if it never happened the population would be fine. its ok if people cant farm or get that sweet legacy item before they are gone, working as intended

if everyone is wearing a gold watch there really isnt a reason to have a gold watch.
45 Dark Elf Wizard - Smurf PVP
41 Enchanter - Jeffery PVP
37 Iksar Monk - Buster PVP
26 Human Ranger - Kenny PVP
RED99
Old 04-05-2020, 03:20 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picked [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The over crowding seems worse because of the Coronavirus, and everyone getting stay at home orders. Once people have to go back to work the population on the server will go down a lot. Look at it this way, if anything this has reinvigorated some people to come back and play that weren't playing before. So while it increased the population, it will still go back to being somewhat normal once the stay at home orders are lifted and people get back to work.

Personally I like all the people on, server feels full, vibrant, and lots to do. I can't seem to find a place to plop down and exp like I want but that's a small price to pay for a healthy server and lots of grouping going on. I just go LFG and get group and go about my way.

And yes the servers were more packed than this on live. I remember my server having anywhere from 1700-2500 people on it on live. It just seems more packed because back then people were wandering around learning things, exploring and doing something entirely new. Now they know what's out there and they log in with a specific purpose, which is grouping/camping items and getting exp. More camps are taken up with a smaller population. Just have to deal with it and either play an alt when you can't find what you want open or try and find something else to do.
Difference is that Green99, already, is becoming top-heavy. The 35+ population GREATLY outnumbers the Vanilla 35+ population. Hell the vast majority of people on MY Vanilla server weren't even 50 when Kunark opened.

Likewise the vast majority also weren't 60 when Velious opened. NOT the case on Green99 I can assure you!
Old 04-05-2020, 03:24 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolalin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Vanilla EQ was designed for 2k concurrent players, per Brad.

Green is underpopulated.
2000 concurrent players across all level ranges, spread across all of Norrath.

While the reworked ZEMs have alleviated some of zone crowding, the top-heaviness problem is still an issue. Maybe open Teal to level 35+ transfers only. Good riddance I say!
Old 04-05-2020, 03:28 PM
Fire Giant

I remember doing /who all 60 druid around PoP era to try to ask people questions and the list wasnt often over 10 players long
Old 04-05-2020, 03:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I remember doing /who all 60 druid around PoP era to try to ask people questions and the list wasnt often over 10 players long
They were /anon exactly for this reason.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:48 PM
Fire Giant

Aside from our two level-60 main tanks, our TOV HOT raids were made up of mostly people in the 53-58 range. And that went on for MOST of Velious.

I remember exploiting in Katta Castellum to power-level the rest of our stragglers to 60 early in Luclin! There was a ramp in that zone, upon which mobs could not reach players - so you were able to pull DOZENS and PBAE them Chardok-style (only with zero risk cuz it was an exploit~)
Old 04-05-2020, 06:29 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizax_Xaziv [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Difference is that Green99, already, is becoming top-heavy. The 35+ population GREATLY outnumbers the Vanilla 35+ population. Hell the vast majority of people on MY Vanilla server weren't even 50 when Kunark opened.

Likewise the vast majority also weren't 60 when Velious opened. NOT the case on Green99 I can assure you!
I'm sure that's the case. But that reverts back to what I said about EQ not being new anymore. The people that are playing this server have played EQ a lot. They know what to do now, they know how to level, they know where to go, they know what drops the best items and has the most exp. This all lumps into one dynamic that makes the term "it's not classic" completely redundant. Nothing is ever going to be truly classic anymore. Things are going to be different because of this.

This server is more of a "if I had a chance to do things over I would have done this" kind of opportunity. While offering a product as close to the way things were when it was released this is as close to classic as anything is ever going to get.

That being said yes players are top heavy. But there is still almost a thousand less players than some servers had in prime time on live. So it's a little give/take. There is still plenty of places to exp and group. I see SolB basically empty these days, Mistmoore isn't hopping all that much, there are a lot of zones that don't get attention because they don't have the highest ZEM and aren't where everyone is flocked too.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:26 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by azxten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is your fault for not forming a group and claiming the lookout room. People on P99 are scared cucks who won't dare claim a camp according to rules lest someone get mad at them.

Pissing people off is what made EQ fun. Training, telling newbs to /consent you, kill stealing with memory blur, all of it. Not doing it yourself but that it was in the game. It is what drove social behaviour, defined guild character, etc.

Rules are what is wrong with P99. No GM was going to save you in classic EQ because you petitioned someone for KSing.

Even on P99 where the rules DO allow people to split "camps" and force multi group exp people just cry to the devs to add multiple servers so everyone can be happy grouping their favourite instance.

Ultimately I think all amateur emulator projects are doomed to do the same. They want players to be "happy" because it means less bullshit they have to deal with in terms of people crying. Classic EverQuest had the notorious "The Vision" meme because so many people cried all the time that it was too hard, this should be that one, it's too slow, blah blah blah.

Brad had the The Vision to torment people exactly how they needed to be tormented. He is the Architect of the Matrix. People aren't happy unless they're miserable as well. He found out that people want the most punishing environment to experience the highs of overcoming it.

tldr:

In classic EQ to level the fastest meant you had the best social strategy. Limited mobs and other resources including game knowledge meant playing well socially had real value. In P99 EQ to level the fastest simply means finding the highest ZEM camp, claiming it, and putting in the most hours there. In true classic something like the HHK goblin/nobles camps would be utterly unusable due to training, kill stealing, and other efficiency killers. This happened in a minor way on P99 but not to the same extent. That is what made EQ fun when leveling. The challenge of gaming this system and how to interact with the other players to try to avoid killing efficiency.
Pretty sure most of that nonsense was definitely not allowed. Heck they even cracked down on zone disturbances on Sulon Zek the absolutely no rules pvp server. So yah fantasize about brad the melvin god some more but he's dead so meh. Guess he wasn't much of a god afterall.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:50 PM
Planar Protector

I am afk playing a shaman, I mean Wiz, alt on green just so I can tab over and afk take one of your spawns on one of your camps.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:42 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopath [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There isn’t even 1200 on right now on a Saturday...
I guess that depends on when you were on.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

(yes, I know, this includes people at the char select screen blah blah blah. There aren't that many.)