Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 09:13 AM
Sarnak

Default Bard UI Question

I did try to search for old posts on this and read a few things but never found one specifically on this topic for P99 specifically. So I am completely new to the bard class so keep that in mind. But I am very versed in EQ and class tactics having been like the rest of you and been an EQ fanatic my whole life. So I am no complete noob.

So I am now level 22 on my bard and am reasonably twinked. 150ish dex wearing a fungi and almost 1000hp unbuffed, 31% haste. With that said I know I can still probably kill nearly if not more efficiently in some dungeon like unrest toe to toe face tanking and mowing mobs. But I wanted to take a minute to at least start to learn aoe kiting. So I went to EK to try hounds. Now I know wolves run a little faster than most mobs so these may be a steep learning curve mob to choose to learn kiting with. So I have been pulling 15-20 mobs at a time and have a success record of 3-2 (3 successful pulls/kills and 2 deaths due to mobs tagging me during kite). I have a hot key for each solos and my dot equipping my brass instument for the dot. I use Duxa UI as it has always been my favorite. My computer if definatly not the issue being a self built $3,000 gaming rig. My internet is solid as a rock. The two deaths I have had I did not feel the mobs were any closer than any other time I casted my dot on them and both times I could hardly if at all see them in the corner of my screen. So my first question is do the various 3rd party UI cause any issues for bards? Also are there any recommendations for say a resolution setting or anything that helps? I play in full screen btw.
Old 07-09-2021, 11:26 AM
Planar Protector

https://youtu.be/FK6yRWDP9xk

Watch this if you want
“The fundamental question is, will I be as effective as a boss like my dad was? And I will be, even more so. But until I am, it's going to be hard to verify that I think I'll be more effective.“- Little Carmine
Old 07-09-2021, 11:39 AM
Planar Protector

"hey folks this is my bard rhymenosaurus"

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] great video!
Old 07-09-2021, 02:01 PM
Sarnak

At work right now so have not gotten to watch the video but will take a look tonight. I dont believe it's one I have watched yet after opening the link initially.
Old 07-09-2021, 02:11 PM
Planar Protector

A great way to practice is Qeynos new yard on a level 2 bard. You can grab all the beetles and practice without fear of dying/exp loss. They run slower.

If you want to get exp while you practice, I think the beetles in NK should still give you exp.

Gorge Hounds do run pretty fast so you may not be able to do the diagonal run with them.

You either do tight circles with Selo's and no drum or jboots/sow

or

You diagonal run and do larger circles.

I've done both and I prefer the diagonal run, it's much easier to land your dots. Selos at higher levels becomes really fast.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:56 AM
Sarnak

So after a few more attempts i have smoothed out my circling and kiting technique and have had several successful pulls since. The video posted above is definatly a good one. My interface was already setup almost identical to the one in the video. So i think it came down to me getting us to it more. Also i stopped playing any sort of video or music in the background and have found that being able to hear the mobs footsteps helps a TON. There are actually two sets of sounds from what i can tell. One sound pattern for when they are close but still out of range then there is a louder distinctly different sound pattern for when they get real close just outside of screen view. I'm sure this makes sense to some.
Old 07-12-2021, 04:46 PM
Planar Protector

Thanks man I’m glad it helped you even if just a little bit.
“The fundamental question is, will I be as effective as a boss like my dad was? And I will be, even more so. But until I am, it's going to be hard to verify that I think I'll be more effective.“- Little Carmine
Old 07-13-2021, 08:37 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

I don't use selo's at all during the kiting process.

Instead I do the mouse camera/strafe run + enter = auto sideways run trick and then do small tight circles with denon's using the mouse only. Once the bodies start to fall I switch to holding right click so as to not accidentally loot.

I'm not sure which is more efficient but that video certainly does not demonstrate the method I've learned. It's interesting watching this perspective for sure.

I'm guessing I take around 7 minutes to kill a 25-30 mob swarm?

For me, wolves and other 4 legged creatures really aren't on the menu. Either way, at 22, I would suggest OverThere in the NE corner. stick to swarms of Cacti and Turkeys
Old 07-13-2021, 06:08 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndeadUser [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Once the bodies start to fall I switch to holding right click so as to not accidentally loot.
You could always make a hotkey for '/hidec all' and as bodies fall hit it when you get close.
Old 08-15-2021, 07:39 PM
Large Rat

make twist hotkeys, so hitting one button fires off two songs.i would definitely DEFINITELY suggest practice piling AOE DOTs on early, when the mobs are easier. don't just use denon's, hit your twist button, switch in your horn, turn close into your swarm as the castbar is going down, land your denon's, then switch to lute for chords of dissonance, turn into your swarm close enough to land, land your DOT, then loosen up your circle and pulse hymn of restoration a couple times, or an AC song, repeat.

eventually you'll want to turn and land as many DOTs as possible on the swarm; more time with those things on your tale is more chance that they will catch you or you'll lag.

paste your secondary slot and inventory slot into hotbar.
Closed Thread