Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 07:51 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default MQ questions

I have plenty of experience with MQs just not when a transaction is involved.

I've heard all the horror stories of MQs gone wrong, and I'm familiar with the staff's policy, so I've largely kept out of the MQ market. However, quite a bit of odds and ends have gathered dust in the bank: minor epic pieces, crappy Thurg armor (Velious leather gloves are my curse), VP medallions, etc. Plus I've been looking at some Skyshrine stuff for alts.

Who is generally expected to go first, the buyer or the seller? Do you typically pay/ask payment upfront or handle payment after a successful turn in?

Is there any element of GM assistance at all if things go south? If a player takes the money and immediately /q's out, would that be treated as a MQ gone awry or would they reimburse? Would they give information on why a turn in failed such as insufficient faction or an incorrect item, or does the seller typically eat the loss?
Old 09-22-2019, 08:01 PM
Planar Protector

Seller has to go first for an MQ to work. The final turn in = person who gets item. Pay after usually.

Generally GM's wont help a botched MQ sale, if say, the seller received item on accident. If a player takes MQ and runs without paying, then thats petitionable.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:47 PM
Kobold

In my experience it's "Pay half up front. Pay half after successful MQ."
Old 09-22-2019, 10:36 PM
Planar Protector

Or use a third party.

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Old 09-22-2019, 10:58 PM
Sarnak

If they are unguilded its half now half later with proof they have the funds.

If they are in a reputable guild, I just MQ and get payment after.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:37 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Thanks for the responses!

For half now half later, what would happen if the MQ fails due to something outside of anybody's control? For example, a third party barrels in and aggroes the NPC as you turn in causing it to eat the item. Would you fully refund it?
Old 09-25-2019, 01:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiff [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for the responses!

For half now half later, what would happen if the MQ fails due to something outside of anybody's control? For example, a third party barrels in and aggroes the NPC as you turn in causing it to eat the item. Would you fully refund it?
I think the entire point of "half now, half later" is that both parties share the risk. If anything goes wrong each one loses half of what they expected.

But really, what MQ are you worried about 3rd parties "barreling in" at? An MQ takes all of 10 seconds to accomplish, if that, and the quest NPCs are usually sitting in nice safe city zones.

If something goes wrong it will be because A) someone has the wrong faction, or B) someone else did half the quest earlier, or C) someone is conning someone.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-25-2019, 02:28 PM
Planar Protector

I have yet to do an MQ or buy a loot-right where anyone expected me to pay anything in advance. This includes transactions at up to 100K value. I've also yet to do an MQ that failed, or where there was any sort of problem whatsoever. A little due diligence goes a long way.

Danth
Old 09-25-2019, 02:42 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

But really, what MQ are you worried about 3rd parties "barreling in" at? An MQ takes all of 10 seconds to accomplish, if that, and the quest NPCs are usually sitting in nice safe city zones.
I'm simply accounting for all possibilities. In my experience, anything that has a chance to go wrong will if you don't properly plan for it.

One example I had in mind is the Kael armor NPCs. Anybody can pop out that door and round them up for a faction pull.
Last edited by Wiff; 09-25-2019 at 02:46 PM..
Old 09-25-2019, 02:55 PM
Planar Protector

Well, I can't really fault you for expecting Murphy's Law: that's just good planning [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

But again, for the vast majority of MQs I don't think interruptions are even a concern. Certainly in places like Skyshrine, it's unusual to even see another player on the run to the quest NPCs, and if someone actually interrupts your turn-in it's all but guaranteed they're doing it to deliberately disrupt you (and the GMs will be talking to them soon).

Kael is maybe a little unique in that you do have to consider it ... but again, MQs do not take long. Person A gets the trade window up, and says "rdy?" Person B looks around and sees the door to the quest NPC room is closed,so they say "yes".

The time it takes person A to click the turn-in button, then for them to say "done, go", and then for person B to do the turn-in ... I mean even if someone does open the door to come and pull right at that exact moment, they still probably wouldn't be able to interrupt. Certainly not if you're trying to do this all quickly.

Again, I think what you need to worry about are faction issues and people trying to con you (they kind of amount to the same thing; an idiot who doesn't understand that his faction is too low is functionally identical to a person trying to con you) ... and also the case of someone doing half the turn-ins for that quest previously.

Really there's nothing you can do to address that last one (killing the NPC used to help, but it doesn't anymore), except do the turn-in right after a server comes up. And it's that possibility that leads people to do the 50/50 thing.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Closed Thread