Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 03:54 PM
Sarnak

I wouldn't touch tigeraptor armor personally, but if you like the fashion then go for it.
P99: [52 Champion] Alysane (Barbarian) <Auld Lang Syne>
SZ : [65 Lord Protector] Cochise (Erudite) <Sanctus Lumen>
Old 06-11-2020, 03:57 PM
Planar Protector

It's partially because of fashion that I'm torn between a Human Ranger and a Wood Elf Ranger this time around. I was a Wood Elf last time, and from what I can see the Human Ranger seemingly has the best spread of stats for the job, with more Strength and Stamina. A bit less Agility, but that stat really doesn't do much above 75 anyway. The lack of night sight is made up for with a spell later on too (and there's always Greater Lightstone).

Wood Elf armor looks cooler though, not just with the tree emblem on their chest, but Wood Elf plate helmets look sweet in general. Human plate helmets are dumb looking, like an inverted trash can more or less. Human Chain doesn't look awful, which is mostly what a Ranger wears, not as good as Wood Elf Chain, but I'm still leaning more towards Human this time (with all 20 bonus points going into Stamina), especially since I get the eyepatch with it.

Why hasn't Hide Helmet been enabled yet?
Last edited by Loadsamoney; 06-11-2020 at 03:59 PM..
Old 06-11-2020, 07:20 PM
Sarnak

Oh, my friend, I think you are wrong about the helms. When you get a Helm of the Tracker in Velious, I suspect that you will prefer human fashion.
Old 06-11-2020, 10:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh, my friend, I think you are wrong about the helms. When you get a Helm of the Tracker in Velious, I suspect that you will prefer human fashion.
It's not winged like this is it?

https://wiki.project1999.com/Golden_Leaf_Armor

That doesn't look too good either, IMO.

But maybe I'll find a good Ranger helm with no graphic.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:50 PM
Planar Protector

How to gear a ranger:
1.) look cool
2.) be able to max str from self buffs. Have other stat gear for when a shaman is avail.
3.) Try to maintain respectable hps/svs (especially Sv magic)
4.) Try to maintain respectable AC
5.) Pack resist gear for raids plus some swappable junk
6.) top tier quest and drop gear has all of that. Aim for the stars.

I’ve personally yet to hit #6 on p99. Anything that has a surplus of strength (even at a lack of hps) I usually wear. That lets me have some no-str slots (earring of essence, imbued granite spaulders, Etc).

But yea, looking cool is a serious goal. Weapons, haste, attk power (str) and some general play skill are most important. Unless you’re pulling for raids, that’s a different situation.
Last edited by Snaggles; 06-11-2020 at 11:56 PM..
Old 06-12-2020, 12:21 AM
Planar Protector

Just to get more clarification, how much of a difference does going above 75 Agility make in terms of AC, mitigation and avoidance? Agility is a primary stat for Rangers, and Wood Elves have significantly more than Humans (not to mention more total stat points, 565 vs the 555 that Humans/Half Elves have).

How much of a difference will having 105 Agility make over having the 85 that Humans get, or being above 75 in general? Are the returns you get for higher Agility worth raising it?
Old 06-12-2020, 12:32 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's not winged like this is it?

https://wiki.project1999.com/Golden_Leaf_Armor

That doesn't look too good either, IMO.

But maybe I'll find a good Ranger helm with no graphic.
Well, maybe I misunderstood, but you said you prefer the look of wood elf helms, and when you get a Helm of the Tracker it will use the custom velious graphic. The dragon helm you see on that picture of Golden Leaf Armor is indeed what a Helm of the Tracker looks like on a human ranger. I am assuming you would go Tunare as a human, if you would go Karana then you won't have such easy access to a custom velious helm graphic so maybe that's not important to you.

You can see all the velious armor here. I think the male wood elf custom helm looks terrible, but the female version looks good. However I think the human one is the best. To each their own. And there are many good helms with no graphic as well, most crowns/circlets are like that. In fact, the Golden Leaf Helm on that page you link has no graphic, it's just the the picture doesn't show the Golden Leaf Helm.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:34 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just to get more clarification, how much of a difference does going above 75 Agility make in terms of AC, mitigation and avoidance? Agility is a primary stat for Rangers, and Wood Elves have significantly more than Humans (not to mention more total stat points, 565 vs the 555 that Humans/Half Elves have).

How much of a difference will having 105 Agility make over having the 85 that Humans get, or being above 75 in general? Are the returns you get for higher Agility worth raising it?
AGI is not a primary stat of rangers (or anyone). As a ranger you want STR/STA/DEX/WIS.
Old 06-12-2020, 01:00 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
AGI is not a primary stat of rangers (or anyone). As a ranger you want STR/STA/DEX/WIS.
I mean it's a Primary in the sense that it's Green on the character creation page.

If Golden leaf, Runed Scout and Forest Stalker have no graphic for the helmet, then I'm more inclined to go Human for that smexy eyepatch. Especially if more starting Str/Sta beats more starting Agi. Dex is whatever, not gonna spend starting points on that.

I just typically don't like playing Human for any class because I'm a human every day in real life, so why would I want to play one in a fantasy game?
Last edited by Loadsamoney; 06-12-2020 at 01:05 AM..
Old 06-12-2020, 12:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I mean it's a Primary in the sense that it's Green on the character creation page.
Yeah ... Verant didn't understand their own game [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Don't trust the green numbers, trust your class's wiki page.

Quote:
I just typically don't like playing Human for any class because I'm a human every day in real life, so why would I want to play one in a fantasy game?
I feel you there. My only human character is a Monk, and that's only because I already have an Iksar and am trying to make one character of each race/clas. Also I made my half-elf my EC mule character, because half-elves are almost as bad as Humans [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Closed Thread