Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 02:16 AM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes classic had multiple servers, and they each had 1000+ on them easily pre-kunark.
We will see how the merge goes, but I think Classic populations are not a good example. It wasn't a 20 years old, dissected down to the bone game back then. People were spread out more, because 90% didn't even know what a Rubi BP was.

Today most players know the optimal equipment and camps for their class, and those that don't find out easily through one of the multiple guides available in the wiki. That is why 600 felt crowded on Teal.

Since I don't have the data that the team does, I can't constructively criticize their decision. All I can say is that I already had to compete for every piece of content so far, and having more people around doesn't exactly make me hopeful of having a better time in the future.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:50 AM
Sarnak

Thanks for all your hard work, and I think your timing is excellent.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:22 AM
Sarnak

I'm a relatively casual player who was hoping to get involved in the raid scene and felt like it might be possible with the player count we had prior to the merge. I have fond memories of raiding on Red even though we were sometimes massacred by other guilds. I'm sure the staff have their reasons (and I'm sure if they were publicised it would make sense) but it's a bit a bummer for me to log on and see my usual hunting grounds have a line of 2+ people waiting for spawns.

I think the server population being in the 400-500 range was just right - in classic EQ back in '99-2000 we didn't have a wiki and per levelling guides and all the things we have now. Hell, I remember finding hunting spots through word of mouth so the player base was much more spread out in the fringe areas. Now we're going to have a complete ciusterfuck in high ZEM zones and 40+ dungeons. I think the merge could have made a lot more sense around Kunark's release personally, but what's done is done. I have a hunch the move was made in part to limit legacy items which is fine (I would never have had a chance to get one, and I think poopsocking should be discouraged by those who can't help themselves), but I foresee the number of players dwindling down due to this.

I know this probably isn't popular opinion but it might make sense to implement instanced raids for guilds that can field a certain number of players. Any player participating in said instance would be locked out of any other instances of that zone for a week (even if they jump to another guild) so loot would be attainable by everyone. I know this isn't "classic" but it would give everyone access to content, so the poopsockers can keep on doing their thing, and a guild of casual players who love the game can get to experience endgame content according to their schedule.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:38 AM
Fire Giant

Holy cr#p people need to calm down.

Making 18 plus page complaint will not change it as haynar has said.

1) Accept it and keep playing
2) Do not accept it and move on to whatever eq server you feel like playing.

3) Read my Quote for clarification how much the devs care about your opinion

Nilbog:

" I'll keep making classic changes when I can, regardless if people threaten to quit. I'm here to recreate classic eq; not to make people happy."

-------------------------------------------------------------
Nilbog:

" I'll keep making classic changes when I can, regardless if people threaten to quit. I'm here to recreate classic eq; not to make people happy."
Last edited by Buellen; 01-20-2020 at 03:45 AM..
Old 01-20-2020, 04:00 AM
Aviak

Atleast the patches are tested before being rolled out. Woulda sucked to roll a new patch out that broke the game even more. Oh, wait...
Old 01-20-2020, 04:05 AM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buellen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Nilbog:

This game is about the community. From plenty of the posts, the folks running P99 care about the community and creating a good classic EQ experience. That being said, they knew Green was overpopulated, so what did they do to help that experience? They created Teal. The communities on their respective servers were very tight-knit, and even as of a day ago, it was still very populated. Over-populated still to a degree that list camps and most exp camps, in general, are highly contested from 30+ in many zones. Now, they brought the servers together, effectively ruining the experience for many folks who are still in the leveling process. Folks at the end game were already at each other's throats fighting for members and dragons.

But your type of toxicity is fairly typical at this point from folks. There was no heads up about when it was going to be done, or why, or what sort of justification was used to do so. It was just hey, this is happening, deal with it. Very disrespectful to the community they so claim to want to help enjoy the experience. This didn't help it, it hurt it.

That is of course, unless this is what they wanted. For folks to stop playing. Not because they don't enjoy the game. But because they log in, and can't enjoy the game. If overpopulation was enough to create an additional server, it should've been enough of a reason to keep them separate until the populations naturally declined instead of forcing it, which was the result.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:18 AM
Orc

I'm only annoyed that I have to reset all my UI boxes, so just a minor annoyance.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:36 AM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buellen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Nilbog:

I think there's nothing wrong with people voicing their opinion. It doesn't matter whether that results in others taking action. Frankly, I think you're doing it yourself. There are a lot people who are unhappy with the change, and you posting here isn't going to stop them. Yet you still do it.

I also think that quoting a couple of sentences out of their context just causes more misunderstandings and uproar than anything else.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:16 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Nilbog:

Sure doing a good job with the classic experience including making people angry and leaving EQ to play WoW or other MMOs. Since when merging servers part of the EQ experience? Completely out of context statement by the devs. In fact they had to merge servers because people where leaving and was needed to keep servers at a healthy population. Right now it is not healthy with the amount of content it has.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:42 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishrak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why would you effectively double the server pop when there's not even enough raid content to sustain Teal's population?
vanilla eq has no raid content at all really. and that's classic. vanilla EQ has like i dunno 5minutes of raid content a week server wide. doubling that to ten minutes doesn't really help matters.
Closed Thread