Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2021, 06:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not having the problem on a 29 mage?

Could be something to do with the ‘never forget’ coding for 35+ NPCs, where they won’t completely forget about a FD player until the mob is back relaxing at it’s spawn point.
Not saying the prob doesn't exist at lower levels but I could reproduce what they were talking about in the bug forums.

I think I went to Iceclad and sent an air pet at some random blue mob, let the pet die and summoned a new one, pet never had trouble getting threat with taunt off, I even used malo and cancel magic, pets instantly got threat every time.

maybe i'll try again with fire pet, but you'd think that DD the air pet does would transfer a bunch of threat to me.
Old 12-24-2021, 04:13 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tann [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not saying the prob doesn't exist at lower levels but I could reproduce what they were talking about in the bug forums.

I think I went to Iceclad and sent an air pet at some random blue mob, let the pet die and summoned a new one, pet never had trouble getting threat with taunt off, I even used malo and cancel magic, pets instantly got threat every time.

maybe i'll try again with fire pet, but you'd think that DD the air pet does would transfer a bunch of threat to me.
Are you doing this on Blue or Green, I have no problem on green either
Old 12-24-2021, 01:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tann [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
pet never had trouble getting threat with taunt off, I even used malo and cancel magic, pets instantly got threat every time.
I've never had a problem with the pet eventually getting the mob off me ... I've had problems with dying before they get it off me [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] This is why I like earth pets when chaining: the root gives you an extra buffer of safety.

As for the "why" of agro kiting, it's largely pointless vs. straight chaining. To agro kite you'd need a lot of hate, and as you noticed one pet death doesn't give you enough hate to keep agro, so if you try to agro kite after one pet the pet will just start fighting the mob normally.

In theory you could kill a few pets first, but there are very few mobs in the game that can't be killed by 1-3 chained pets, but can be killed by 1-3 chained pets followed by an agro kiting 4th pet ... an agro kiting 4th pet that will inevitably stop kiting and start fighting at some point.

I think I've heard people speculating about a Mage doing an Ice Burrower this way, but in practice I don't think anyone has succeeded?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 12-24-2021, 05:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've never had a problem with the pet eventually getting the mob off me ... I've had problems with dying before they get it off me [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] This is why I like earth pets when chaining: the root gives you an extra buffer of safety.

As for the "why" of agro kiting, it's largely pointless vs. straight chaining. To agro kite you'd need a lot of hate, and as you noticed one pet death doesn't give you enough hate to keep agro, so if you try to agro kite after one pet the pet will just start fighting the mob normally.

In theory you could kill a few pets first, but there are very few mobs in the game that can't be killed by 1-3 chained pets, but can be killed by 1-3 chained pets followed by an agro kiting 4th pet ... an agro kiting 4th pet that will inevitably stop kiting and start fighting at some point.

I think I've heard people speculating about a Mage doing an Ice Burrower this way, but in practice I don't think anyone has succeeded?
that'd be nice! iceburrowers would be fun as a mage
Old 12-25-2021, 11:50 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReoDobbs [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Are you doing this on Blue or Green, I have no problem on green either
Blue, someone has to keep the KWSN alive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And that must be what I was reading incorrectly on those bug posts.. I swear it sounded like people were saying once a pet dies you'd have threat forever making mages "unplayable" in some eyes.. instantly make me think of aggro kiting red mobs all day.
Old 12-26-2021, 03:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
that'd be nice! iceburrowers would be fun as a mage
https://youtu.be/5fsvt1xfuqY I have a video of agro kiting an Ice Burrower on my Shaman. Takes a while hehe, but would probably go a bit faster on Mage. Not sure if you could keep mana up as easily as a Shaman. Maybe if a mage has a clickie offensive spell of some kind they can spam?