Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 02:47 AM
Fire Giant

Default Bought an 89 supra turbo. Racing?

I bought this car to work on and to ultimately start racing on the local tracks. Anyone here a car enthusiast or racer? Anyone know what the brackets are for racing and what my car would fall under? What would I be competing against? Does it go by liters, horsepower, or anything like that? Or by year/makes/models?

Also, from what I'm reading, replacing the turbo with a twin (small/large) seems to be the way to go for high end, but I might just replace it with a larger turbo for a cheaper increase in power. Also, it seems that replacing the exhaust system is also a priority in regards to anything with a turbo. Other than these two, does anyone have advice on what would be slightly cheaper performance boosting upgrades? (the exhaust and turbo mods would be a few grand, so i'd like someone cheaper to throw on top for a slight increase).

I already have the cold air intake, and will be throwing in a stage 1 clutch (maybe centerforce?)

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"
- "In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."

Old 02-18-2012, 02:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chtulu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i'd like someone cheaper to throw on top for a slight increase
Kinda like Fez, I'm not sure what backwater country you're from, but modifying vehicles with people is illegal in the United States.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:04 AM
Fire Giant

Well there goes my dream >_<

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"
- "In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."

Old 02-18-2012, 03:22 AM
Aviak

Just to let you know the fast supras where the 1992 on models, particularly with the 2jz-gte vin. To make your model fast you'll need to lots of engine work, just bolting on a giant turbo will likely result in blown engine.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:53 AM
Sarnak

Put a lightweight flywheel in it, I also suggest a stage 3 clutch.
CAI and exhaust, is a must the car has to breathe.
Rebuilding the engine would greatly benefit your performance, and prevent it from blowing up as long as you don't redline it all the time.
you can go with lowering the car for better aero.
wheels and tires can also increase performance due to grip, a softer tire preferred,
Maybe Falken..
and if you increase the HP too much you have to get stronger axles.

CAI + Exhaust
Lightweight flywheel + Clutch
Wheels + Tires
Lowering Springs

I have a 1991 CRX, with CAI + High flow Muffler - Cat, JDM short shift kit, Wheels + Tires
Stage 3 clutch + 9lbs. Flywheel. the clutch and flywheel alone make it more fun and acceleration is insane. Removed the A/C for +2hp and removed it and other stuff for a weight reduction of about 110lbs.

I haven't ran it quarter-mile because it has 234k on original engine and it needs to be rebuilt. Keep in mind the lighter flywheel will make it harder to drive and it get worse gas milage on the freeway.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:55 AM
Kobold

i get all my automotive advice from p99 forums
Old 02-18-2012, 11:42 AM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle

me too Estrang
Old 02-18-2012, 12:57 PM
Banned

most important thing you will need is a giant airplane wing bolted to the back, a ridiculous fartcan "muffler" and lots of stickers advertising expensive parts you do not actually have, decals with "racing" and "performance" on them somewhere are obviously the most desireable.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:09 PM
Banned

Lol at the lightweight flywheel advice.

Back to engineering school.

Unless you're changing gears faster than the factory flywheel allows the engine to decelerate; OR you are running antilag all the time on iconel housings/shafts and turbines there is no benefit.

At every point in time except for a down hill low gear corner exit I would want a heavier flywheel. Uphill exits, braking, resistance to lockup, getting off the line etc are all a matter for big heavy flywheels.

Never have I met someone not involved in non sealed road rally events that can provide me proof against the clock of faster anything with a lighter rotating mass. Just quicker free revving which makes most cars a dog to drive.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:13 PM
Sarnak

Well anyway, I put a light flywheel in my car and I love it, its annoying to drive if you drive in town a lot, but it is also very fun and increases Acceleration.

I say this from experience; I drove my car for a year before I put the flywheel in it, and I drove my car for a year after I put the flywheel in it everyday to this day.
Last edited by Within99; 02-19-2012 at 08:22 PM..
Closed Thread