Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 03:32 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

I started to play about 2 Weeks ago, heard that Velious comming also. Just to get this clear, nothing last forever but are the plans that this projekt getting to an end soon?

And why isnt it possible that the ppl who are in charge just looking for another person who will keep the server running?
I understand that live changes, really i do, but why should be somthing good end if someone else can keep it up?
Last edited by Galner; 09-02-2014 at 04:58 AM..
Old 09-02-2014, 03:45 AM
Sarnak

i'd say 3 years before it starts to wither away
Old 09-02-2014, 05:21 AM
Fire Giant

I think Rogean and Nilbog have kept the ship sailing through rough seas quite well. They have had to steer through the waters of ddos, cannon fire cease and desist from SOE, and even made people like Uthgaard and co. walk the plank. When the time comes it will either be passed to a fine el capitano, or they will go down with the ship.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:18 PM
Planar Protector

Maybe if the rude players stops giving the devs a hard time we can enjoy it a couple more days.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:36 PM
Planar Protector

Maybe this is hopelessly optimistic of me, but I think the P99 devs have started something irreversible. Even if they took the server down tomorrow and burned every hard disk involved, I still think a classic Everquest server would rise again. There's just something so compelling about this game that someone (maybe Jeremy with his new project, maybe someone else) would come along and make it happen.

... but of course it would take them years to accomplish anything close to P99 in it's current form, so here's hoping this server doesn't go anywhere anytime soon (and that when it does go, its source code and database get passed off to someone).
Old 09-02-2014, 02:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Maybe this is hopelessly optimistic of me, but I think the P99 devs have started something irreversible. Even if they took the server down tomorrow and burned every hard disk involved, I still think a classic Everquest server would rise again. There's just something so compelling about this game that someone (maybe Jeremy with his new project, maybe someone else) would come along and make it happen.

... but of course it would take them years to accomplish anything close to P99 in it's current form, so here's hoping this server doesn't go anywhere anytime soon (and that when it does go, its source code and database get passed off to someone).

its true. there is a definite demand for classic EQ...but its not as though p99 is the only one who tried to make it a reality. EQclassic comes to mind, but has been essentially a failure of producing anything close to launch playable; Kegz...well, just lol...; progression servers from sony have been fun and lots of folks who play here but they don't scratch the classic itch.

rogean and nilbog have been truly exceptional individuals. without them there would be tons of demand for a legit classic server community, and none to be had.

hopefully, when the time comes for rogean (for whatever reason) to move on from p99 and eqemu he hands it a person or group of people equally capable and dedicated.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:03 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
just treat it like a woman that you know is going to leave you, and enjoy it while you got it.
the man
Old 09-02-2014, 03:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

There may be a classic EQ server, but will it be worth a damn? What you suggest doesn't inspire unless the bulk of the P99 team is part of it.

Everything is reversible. Dreams do, in fact, die.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:53 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox7d [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
2003-2008, I wished for a classic EQ server constantly. I've been playing this server on and off since release but even when I'm not playing I take great comfort in the fact that it's always there waiting for me. It's gonna be pretty shitty when the server finally dies, but the question is, when do you guys think that will be?
My predictions are, in order of my preference (IF the server has to go down at all):

1. Management gets tired of running the server. Open Source the whole shooting match, guys like me immediately set up Classic servers up the yinyang with a population of like 10 people each. Expansions are released based on Classic, the good ones get reasonable followings, and everyone has a grand old time.

2. Sony realizes they can make mittfuls of money plumbing the Classic EQ market, hire RogeanNilbog Inc. to run a time-locked Classic Progression Server (or serveral of them) and we all cheerfully pay them $19.95 a month til we die.

3. The Management finally gets tired of the shit and takes the server down and gives us the finger.

1. and 2. is fine by me!

Regards,
Mg

OMNI Officer (Retired from EQ)
Check out my P99 Hunting Guide!
Old 09-02-2014, 04:02 PM
Sarnak

Donate and keep the thing running. The biggest issue is operational costs. If they aren't running in the red, then it can stay afloat.
Closed Thread