Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 09:28 AM
Fire Giant

What Baler said. Surprised how 50/50 the server is.
Mama Vinelsier Lepermesiah Server 1st 60 Grave Lord(And only The Grave Lord)//Resilak 50 Monk//Tenchi Masaki 50 Wizard//Jaskieer 48 Bard// Heeheehee Teeheehee 57 Mage// Belll Cranel 50 Monkdrackgon 54 rogue, Cuddlezzz 60 shaman
RIP<Gathered Might>
Old 09-08-2020, 11:00 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin76 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It actually shouldn't be that hard. I'd wager that 5pp for a SoW is pretty standard, yeah? 5pp for 40 mana and 4.5 seconds of casting time. Ports are 300 mana and a 16 second casting time... and if we assume the porter doesn't want to be where they just dumped you, 70 mana and 5 more seconds for the Gate back.

On a purely mana calculation: 300/40*5 = 37.5pp
On a purely casting time calculation: 17.7pp
Half way between these is ~27.7pp

Perhaps the most fair way (in principle) to compare the two would be the total time. A level 50 druid with maxed meditate meds 21.6 mana/tick. SoW would take a maximum* total of 16.5 seconds of a Druid's time (4.5 to cast and 2 ticks = 12 seconds to recover if they start recovering immediately after a tick happens). A port takes a minimum* total of 94 seconds a Druid's time (16 to cast and 13 ticks to recover if they start recovering immediately before a tick happens).

This amounts to 28.5pp per port... let's just call it an even 30. My mage, who's level 50, is cool with that. My Bard, who I just started playing and is level 9... not so much.

*This gives the most favorable conversion conditions to the buyer. Note that we are now assuming the Druid doesn't mind being in their new place and won't be gating back... Just make it 35pp if you don't assume so.

EDIT: I'm perfectly fine with the 1pp per level model. This is mostly in response to the above post mentioning 2-4pp for a port... just... wow.
forgot about that 10% chance of tip on sow.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:12 PM
Decaying Skeleton

For those who are shocked at the price of 2 - 4pp per port, that was the going donation back in the days everyone paid, and I began the game pre kunark, early year 2000. Ran large raids, ran a guild. Was very active. I do have some reference as to what I am talking about and not just spouting nonsense. Perhaps it was a unique situation in Saryarn server tho....

And if the open market price on blue/green is going to be 1pp per level or however it ends up being, then that's all fine and great. I'm all for open market. All I will say is two things.

- I've paid 2 plat for ports with a variety of porters in the short time I have spent to make to lvl11 and no one has complained to me yet and I've had repeated porters porting me.

- As a new character, it is unrealistic for me to be able to afford ports at that high a price AND be able to save plats for equipment upgrades etc. If the prices for ports are that high, I will have no other choice but to wait for a sow and hoof it, especially during my early levels because it will be impossible for me to actually afford both.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:26 PM
Sarnak

I'm freshly 50 and generally never ask for a port and still run everywhere and take the boat.
When I died at 46 I paid 200p for a res because that was like 20% exp loss after the hell level and my resser had to get a port.
The price of a port should be an exponential increase though. 20p for a level 20 is a lot more than 50p for a level 50.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:56 PM
Planar Protector

These things tend not to work, and anyways the economy inflates.

Here is an attempt from the Dominate period of the Roman Empire:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edict_on_Maximum_Prices
Old 09-08-2020, 02:42 PM
Large Rat

I'm porting for set prices, which I think are really helpful for some folks so they know exactly what the right amount is and don't have a feeling that they are under-tipping for a port.

You may have seen me advertising the past few days, I charge 5p for levels 1-15, 15p for levels 16-29, 25p for 30-39, 35p for 40-50. I have been getting mixed feedback of course because I know some folks like to be in control of what they donate, but it's been working out great for me! Of course, there are almost always other people willing to port for a donation of the portees choosing.

If you see me in-game feel free to message Supr for a port [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-08-2020, 02:56 PM
Planar Protector

If you fix the amount, it's a price, not a tip. And that's one way to not get jipped.

I've found the most effective way to operate as a porter is keep 2 lists.

/ignore list is anyone that tips poorly or not at all
/friend list is for anyone that tips well or I enjoy talking with

Magically, over time you get fewer and fewer bad tippers and more and more good tippers.

If you cannot seem to get a response from a porter for a port... well... you might be on Santa's naughty list.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:48 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsbars [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How much does clarity count towards the tip?
Since I SOW everyone I port, I would say not at all
<Ad Nauseum>

Xwing @aliciousness 60 Hierophant
<Dial a Port>
Old 09-08-2020, 05:19 PM
Sarnak

It's a tip. Up to the tipster how much to give.
When I was porten on my drud I got anywhere from one copper to 150P.
Old 09-08-2020, 05:26 PM
Planar Protector

I tip my level up to 60.

with rez i do 150 for 2+ corpses and cover the port cost.

and maybe like 10 or 25 if a cleric is just there already rezzing people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td67kYY9mdQ
Closed Thread