Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 02:54 PM
Orc

Default New to the server, hello everyone.

Hey guys and thanks to those creating this server and the 1999 wiki.

I first started playing EQ in 2003 on the Drinal server so i never experienced the classic era, but here i am on a journey to experience something new. I created an iksar necro after reading sesserdrix guide on the wiki, first i was going to roll a erudite but why not make it a little harder and choose a race hated by everyone?

I am on the blue server and the game is really rough as a newbie, i just dinged lvl6 but i still only have my robe and a dagger, talk about difference compared to 2003 when i got some armor and weapon as help from a friend ingame. Now i cant just rush true mobs with 10 times the starting hp and level fast, now i have to be cautious and use some survival tactics, its a great challenge and i love it!

My necro is named Elmek and yesterday some kind guy from the guild Europa handed me some coin out of the blue, it was hundreds of copper, silver and gold. What a pleasant surprise, i went to the banker and exchanged it for platinum and it turns out to be 20pp !!

Awesome, i went of to buy some bags and pick up lvl 1 and lvl 4 spells and after thanking this kind man once again i went out to FoB. There sure are alot of mobs roaming here, i did turn ins for bone chips and scorpion pincers and reaching lvl5 went pretty fast.

When i was about to log another guy comes up and gives me 7pp, holy crap is it my birthday? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Thank you guys for the pp, i bought more bags and banked the rest of the money.

This was a great start my first day on p99, today i have only managed to reach lvl6, most mobs are turning green and i hope i can con a few more white cons at the ramps now that i am lvl 6, picking of scorpions, spiders and skeletons that are not red con.

The only thing i miss so far is guild chat. Catching up with people, hearing their stories of conquer and defeat, seeing someone succeed with epics and so on.

I guess i will have to reach atleast lvl 35 before i can apply to a guild because i have looked around the boards and all seem to have lvl requirements, the social part of the game is dearly missed while guildless.

That aside, i really love this server and the awesome wiki, its like allakhazam and eqatlas and trader rolled into one. Really great guides and help with setting up the whole thing.

Sorry for the lengthy intro but i just had to let you guys know how much fun it is to play EQ old school, and thanks again to those who have helped me so far with pp and buffs!

Oh wait, one more thing, the only way to get to EC from here is by port right? Sorry 47 years old and senile like i was 87.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:17 AM
Sarnak

Well met Weidar!
You've pretty much summed up why I came back (Post Kid's, 'real' job, Mortgage, the whole soul crushing package that signal's that you've finally made it (apparently)...

The 90's was a blur of late nights, lost weekend's, doomed relationship's that didn't stand a chance against Norrath.
Guildchat was my social life for a good many years, that & running across the realm with a Tambourine in hand across the skies. (Voodoo II & Dial up permitting)

I left to get on with Life & have been a lurker here for a few years, tried plenty of other games but nothing came close to 'that' magic.

I am now in a place that I can devote the odd night here & there without risking my sanity/marriage etc.

Really looking forward to playing a Troll & exploring, just because I can again.

Look out Gator's, we're coming for you!

Hope that your return is equally Nostalgic.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:14 AM
Planar Protector

Welcome to the boards Weid and more importantly, welcome to New Norrath ^^ I have never leveled through true lowby areas in kunak, but sounds like you're having a blast and have run into a few charitable players. We have a great community and if you are looking for a guild, I would check around in game. There are always new guilds starting g up and quite a few existing guilds with low level players. I would no expect it to be a problem for long! Good luck!
Old 01-23-2015, 04:16 PM
Orc

Thanks, ive had a really good time these past 6 days. Time is flying by and the corpse runs are as invigorating as ever.

The exp loss upon death grins at me like a twisted clown, i have accepted the fact that as an iksar leveling in FoB ther will be no rezzes for me, just get that corpse back and grind back the lost level [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The other day i met a thirsty druid, he asked if i had some drinks to share, the only thing i had vas some kind of bloody water, but hey, he was in wolf form so i tought he should be ok. This kind fellow gave me 20pp and buffs for the trouble, talk about generous.

I found a part of FoB close to one of the ramps that was really good for soloing, it was a small wooded area with high walls on the sides were different beasts roamed back and forth in.

It was easy to pull singles and i dinged 10-12 there, after that i hunted the badgers and i am now lvl 14 and i would like to go to the karanas to hunt, got to keep an eye out for a kind taxi driver.

I havent grouped yet, it seems im online at the wrong hours (euro time) but this class is really fun to play solo and grouping will happen eventually anyway. I have realised that lack of gear isnt really anything to worry about as a necro, altho some more hitpoints and mana wouldnt hurt when you get a couple resists, haha things can turn ugly fast when you get the resist message, oh well all my savings will go toward spells and pet gear if available.

Thanks to all who have helped me out so far, you have made my life easier without making it to easy. Now im looking forward to hit 16 and get just a bit more powerful.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:28 PM
Planar Protector

Kunark is a bit of an outpost for guilds Weidar, don't lose hope. If you were skipping around Greater Faydark hugging trees I'm sure you'd have had an invite from Damaged Goods by now... there's a bunch of leveling guilds out there, but Field of Bone is so isolated [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Keep going, and necros definitely get easier as they level [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-06-2015, 09:45 PM
Orc

Forgot to reply to you swish. Levels have been flying by soloing with my boney pet.
Kunark is a pita to get out of but you could easily level here all your life i guess.

Btw i just found your reply in an old thread about evil races and vendors we can sell to, awesome stuff [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Since hitting lvl 20 one week ago i have been camping gargoyles in OoT for their precious eyes and saving up for a circlet of shadow. I also went to EC yesterday to see if i could buy my lvl 24 pet spell and i found it along with the pet buff for 100pp. I think it was a nice deal, also the kind seller saw my measly outfit and handed me a new robe for free!

This new pet turned out to be an awesome litte tank, two gargs and a skeleton was no problem att all and im looking forward to see him tank tougher mobs.

After breakfast today i dinged 25 and went once again to EC, this time to buy a circlet of shadow, i had gathered 2066pp and i soon found one for 2000pp and i felt very good about it, working hard for something i needed and then being able to buy it felt great.

I was 60% into lvl 25 when i was running around in warsliks woods trying to find the way to overthere when i got invited to join a giant group, i gladly accepted the invite and skipped overthere for now. This group chain pulled the giants and they fell like old timber to the ground.

The group was really good and a nice break from all the soloing. After an hour or two i heared that ding sound and i was already lvl 26, what a great day, now i need to save up for jboots, but i wont stress it like i did with the circlet, time to enjoy some new hunting areas and hopefully more groups.

Be safe all.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:46 PM
Planar Protector

Doing great [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Consider some 10-dose sow pots while you're saving up for jboots, damn things aren't cheap...and sell the last dose of the 10 back to the vendor for 17pp(ish), its worth the refund.

Definitely good to have that circlet, being able to stand up from FD and invis without being seen (most of the time) assuming aggro is clear is a great thing.

Keep on trucking, there's the 2 named sisters in OOT for the late 20s who drop Long Swords (10-12p each?), though I don't think there's any iksar friendly vendors near the sister isle so you'd get weighed down quick. Might be able to ask whoever is on the AC spawn if they'd mind going to the mage spell vendor on that island for while waiting for the next pop though [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

If you need any spells researched give me a PM, think I've got 184 for it. I have a necro camped out in EC/WC area [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-07-2015, 12:01 AM
Planar Protector

Welcome to server =) Glad you are enjoying your time back in EQ~!