Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 09:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunglusu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Same kind of permissions as instragram, gmail, tinder, facebook, etc etc etc. Apple wouldnt approve malicious software, neither would android.
Why do you need people's locations? If you don't (and you don't), why not take that shit out?
Old 04-20-2016, 02:25 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunglusu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Apple wouldnt approve malicious software, neither would android.
Apple and Google provide very little scrutiny on malicious software that goes into their app stores. A security researcher once submitted an app with hooks into it to see what kind of testing Apple folks did before it got approved, and they found that the app was tested for about a minute, IIRC. Doing any sort of rigorous security analysis would likely take months, even if Apple and Google could hire enough security people to analyze all of the apps that are submitted (which they can't).

Quote:
Same kind of permissions as instragram, gmail, tinder, facebook, etc etc etc.
1. Google and Facebook are large, and a lot of people use their apps, so there is a high degree of certainty that their apps aren't malicious. With only 8k users, if you were doing something malicious, they might never notice.

2. Those apps actually have a reason for using a lot of permissions (eg, Google Now integration, integration between Gmail and Calendar, photo attachments, etc). Since your app serves static content, there is no need for any of those permissions except for network communication (to pull data from the wiki and p99auctions). That also likely means it wouldn't be too difficult for you to tighten up the permissions if you wanted security and privacy minded individuals to use your app.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:33 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why do you need people's locations? If you don't (and you don't), why not take that shit out?
The GPS feature is if someone wants to tag their location, while posting a screenshot. (no different than yelp check in). If you are too paranoid to download app, that is fine, i am not holding a gun to your head. There are thousands of registered users who have not had a single issue with app.

i simply made this app, as a toolkit for people who play everquest. nothing more nothing less.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:42 AM
Planar Protector

I simply will never install an app with those kinds of required permissions.
Find a way to achieve your goal while I can keep my peace at mind.

Why do you need permissions for the camera, location, calendar, identity?
access to photo/media/files makes sense for images or what not.

But the others ones are outrageous.
also I saw this android app before this thread. I saw the required permissions I pushed cancel immediately.
Then mumbled to myself about how so many apps have too many questionable required permissions.

10k < 100k < 1m
Last edited by Baler; 04-20-2016 at 02:49 AM..
Old 04-20-2016, 03:25 AM
Planar Protector

luckily, I've an OnePlus 2 and I can out of the box, remove such permissions on any application.
haven't used that app really much yet since the upgrade, but it seems fine without location, camera, calendar access...
Old 04-20-2016, 03:32 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
i simply made this app, as a toolkit for people who play everquest. nothing more nothing less.
Yeah well I play EQ here, so I just gotta say something about it. Most of my installed apps are a few [select] permissions and some with none (and yes I have/use a commercial Android compiler), while others disabled to run unless I say so. I hate that it's a Linux based system w/o Linux based hardened security. I am "paranoid", paranoid I tell you, and if you knew what I/O know you would be too! hah
Old 04-20-2016, 03:40 AM
Kobold

what is this app doing that a few simple book marks on the right resources will give you anyways? Is it simply a menu to p99auctions data and wiki data?
Old 04-20-2016, 08:00 AM
Fire Giant

That is precisely what it is Narco, I go to chrome on my phone and load up 2 tabs of p99auctions and p99 wiki...life is good
Old 04-20-2016, 08:54 AM
Orc

Default Love the app

I find myself checking this app once an hour or so. Its like a Facebook type chat system about p99. Very helpful and friendly community. Thank you for all your hard work to offer us this amazing free app.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:20 AM
Banned

Downloaded the app. Very, very cool having everything eq related in one place with easy access.
Closed Thread