Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 04:47 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

ty all!

Yeah, I don't want to tell him what to play any more than I would want to be told what to play (except I guess in this instance lol).

Rerolling is brutal. This is the last time I'm doing it with these people. If they want new alts, they can roll them and I'll wait for them to catchup lol
Old 12-06-2018, 05:03 PM
Planar Protector

Bard.

Bard circle kites 25 mobs with snare on top of wizard / cleric.

Wizard / cleric PB AoE for dps.

Warrior loots and handles PR.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:41 PM
Planar Protector

Wizard is fine for your group, he doesn't have to change, he'll just need to be conservative and always maintain a reserve for those moments when it's needed. I've grouped plenty on my wizard at all levels and the class can be surprisingly versatile in the right hands.

Shaman won't gimp you at all. When you get to 50+ you'll probably want to recruit a rogue and enchanter into your adventures, but there's 10,000 of them around anyway LFG so that won't be an issue. With War/Cler/Sha/Ports you'll never have a hard time filling the other two slots with what you need when you decide you need it.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:47 PM
Sarnak

Sup guys! To further on what BigJeff and Loramin said:

I play with some RL buddies and we wind up with some of the strangest group compositions when all 5-6 of us *aren't* online-- this happens fairly often. For instance, a cleric and rogue duo (tank and ENC weren't around).

We may not be composed for "min-max" purposes and are far from an optimal lineup, yet we are still able to kill some stuff and have fun playing together. In the abovementioned duo, the cleric wound up "tanking" / holding agro well-enough that the rogue could still backstab his heart out.

Also, if someone does need to do some catching up (exp-wise) on their own, it's a hell of a lot more fun playing in PuGs (pick up groups) or soloing on a toon that you like and are completely invested in.

Learn from my mistake-- I rolled a cleric as I thought it would "complete" our group makeup. Unfortunately, I learned that I don't enjoy the cleric playstyle at all-- while it was okay-enough to play while I was on discord with my pals, I couldn't bring myself to play the toon in PuGs or solo. Rather than a cleric, I prefer pulling classes!

Finally, having a porter in the group is definitely handy-- unless you guys are parsing one another's DPS, there's no reason for your Wizard buddy to feel "less-than." What he lacks in DPS can be made-up in terms of convenience and time--

For instance, lets say you guys were planning to hit-up Aviak Town in South Karana:

You all travel there and, as you approach, you can see that the entire area is camped by power levelers (or something). Instead of having to walk *all the way* back to the druid/wizard rings and then try to find someone available from Dial-a-port, you guys can instead have your wizard almost-instantaneously take you all to a completely different area on the opposite end of Norrath.

This convenience is totally saving you guys time (allowing you to get back to Exp-ing) and will also help to maximize your playtime when everyone is actually online.

TLDR - play the exact class you want and don't discount the convenience of a porter in the group makeup!
Old 12-06-2018, 07:10 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I really appreciate all the responses!

I'm not much into kiting and I've read that swarm kiting is kind of looked down on, so I don't want to be a troublemaker. Either way, the fact that I'm not crazy about kiting means Bard is probably out.

Turns out my Shammy is poorer than my Bard lol Someone was kind enough to give me some plat, so I'm researching what to pick up for him.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:31 PM
Kobold

Roll a Troll (inny god) or Ogre Shaman and don't look back. Once ya get to 60, and get Torp...you'll be Godlike. The only thing that compares is an enchanter.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:43 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Nooooo never an evil race!!

That same person who gave me the money ended up grabbing me a handful of gear, as well, so Shammy main is locked in now haha
Old 12-06-2018, 11:09 PM
Planar Protector

Reading the posts of u guys sticking out for the wizard warms my heart - let ur buddy play the wizard! Wizards are cool dudes
Old 12-07-2018, 12:37 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

He has never played EQ before. Today we all told him to play what he wants to. He said he is leaning towards pally.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:04 AM
Fire Giant

i actually envy that you four RL friends can play together

many players gave suggestions on other classes, that's great from an efficiency standpoint

mine is a bit diff given your unique scenario, playing with RL friends. in this case I really think you guys should play a class you truly enjoy. eq is all about time investment and grinding, you guys should play something you truly enjoy so it doesn't feel like a grind. as long as you got the major roles covered you are fine (melee + healer + support)
Closed Thread