Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 11:38 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buellen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ok data and proof has been posted that this is how it was back live but no lets ignore that YEESH!
I haven't seen any hard data either way. Both sides have relied mostly on old posts to forums talking about charming with a chanter.

There does seem to be some gray area here imo. I think they would be justified in toning down chanters a little bit. It's not real healthy when one class is that dominant, out damaging entire groups and shit.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:52 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buellen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
my Point is that the only nerf should be applied is the ones that existed in era!
That's not how P99 always works though and probably shouldn't anyway. Several things have been nerfed by staff that weren't nerfed during era. Why should Charm be any different?

Gotta say though, I just read through that thread from back then when Charm was nerfed on Live, and some other threads afterwards also. lol, there was soooo much Enchanter QQ and threats of quitting. Enchanters were posting on the Druid forums trying to get the Druids in on the boycott. Hilarious!

But there were a lot more people on the other side (including Enchanters and Druids), explaining how incredibly broken Enchanter Charm was and how the nerf was needed. Lo and behold, nerfs came, and came again the next year too, yet Enchanters and Everquest still exist today!
Last edited by Rooj; 11-20-2019 at 11:55 PM..
Old 11-21-2019, 12:05 AM
Fire Giant

@Rooj

Agreed they mostly talked about in that era overpowered with one or two saying it was always overpowered.

BUT that is not how game was IF the devs decide to change sure I wont like it but its not my server i will play by there rules either way.

Anhow the bug report has been submitted lets see what the devs doo.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Nilbog:

" I'll keep making classic changes when I can, regardless if people threaten to quit. I'm here to recreate classic eq; not to make people happy."
Last edited by Buellen; 11-21-2019 at 12:09 AM..
Old 11-21-2019, 02:30 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuktus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think I understand where folks are coming from. Charm is indeed a powerful ability. So lets just remove it from the game, right? Mobs just scale faster then PCs can, so clearly, having the ability to charm is game breaking.
While we at it, I always thought mend was a bit.. over tuned. And FD for that matter. There, chanters and monks are now in line. But without FD and mend, Backstab and hide/sneak need to be scaled down to fit. And honestly, here in the classic era, pallies and SKs are just so much stronger then warriors, so maybe just nerf their spells? And sense they ain't got no spells no more, lets remove the xp penalty. And if you made it this far, congrats. Nerfing the one unique thing about a class because some folks seem to think its OP is silly. There is no balance in this game. Never was. Some classes can solo well, some can't. That, at least to me, is part of the charm of EQ.
Just my 2cp
cant agree anymore [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-21-2019, 03:09 AM
Fire Giant

Talking

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
----------------------------------
[center]
Old 11-21-2019, 03:17 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter888 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
cant agree anymore [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
some people will agree with anything.

Lame attempt at mocking people for pointing out that chanters are doing things like out damaging entire groups.

Chanters will still be chanters even if they were to tone down how powerful charm is. They aren't going to lose their identity or some nonsense like that.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:22 AM
Planar Protector

I doubt they are going to nerf a fundamental aspect of a class merely because some babies don't like it.

There are often more clerics on than SK/Pala/Ran combined. That's not very "classic" either. They could have removed hybrid exp penalty to "fix" that, too, but they didn't.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:40 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I doubt they are going to nerf a fundamental aspect of a class merely because some babies don't like it.

There are often more clerics on than SK/Pala/Ran combined. That's not very "classic" either. They could have removed hybrid exp penalty to "fix" that, too, but they didn't.
I think it's funny how people act like an adjustment to chanters so they are no longer more powerful than entire groups is somehow taking away the identity of the class or something. Who's being a baby?

Charm is fundamental to the class. Being a one man army is not. Class abilities being toned down/changed go back to the early days of the game. If solid evidence that a mistake was indeed made with Chanters' charm ability, of course they should nerf it accordingly.
Last edited by jacob54311; 11-21-2019 at 03:52 AM..
Old 11-21-2019, 05:44 AM
Fire Giant

when does this get moved to Rnf?
Old 11-21-2019, 05:50 AM
Planar Protector

There will always be a class more powerful than the others. If you remove enchanters, the same babies will cry about shamans being OP "they solo dragons omg".

Nerf shamans and the same crybabies will start bitching about necromancers being too strong "no class should be able to solo PoF !!" Then it will be monks or druids or whatever is left

This is EQ, an imperfect game of imperfect balance, that never pretended otherwise. Learn to deal with it or go play a more balanced game such as chess or something. I'm sure you'll find a way to bitch there as well "I lost cuz whites move first! so unfair omg"

But on Green/Teal, I'd remove charm completely tbh.
Closed Thread