Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 08:26 PM
Fire Giant

I coerced a lvl 60 iksar necro into paying 200pp for a stack of bone chips in west freeport on my human rogue.

I was drunk EQing and /roleplay so I just stayed in character and cornered him to hand out the cash or he would taste my dagger! and it worked. 200pp at lvl 3 for 20 bone chips is quite convenient.

Long story short; level 60 nowadays are filthy rich and selling a stack of bone chips for far too many pesos is probably your best bet to make early money, outside of outright begging ><

If we're talking about hypothetical "Green99" it's a different story but, there's none of that for now [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-01-2017, 08:27 PM
Sarnak

Hehe Truheart. I think I used to pay felwithe noobs 20% of my vendor profits. I'd advertise when I was in gfay and every 30 minutes or so I'd have someone show up to vendor and make a few hundred plat
Old 12-02-2017, 08:22 AM
Kobold

Some solid advice. Find a zone where you can basically level 1-5 exclusively on decaying skeletons. Zones like Butcherblock and East Freeport / North Ro. It will become slow, but just grind it out. Max your skills and have bags upon bags of Bone Chips. Get a magic weapon for about 50p, then hunt wisps once you are around level 10. North Karana Gypsy camp is an ideal spot, as you can turn in each Greater Lightstone to the gypsies and sell the tome for 9p. Regular lightstones are minor exp and some coin, too. If the wisps around the camp are taken try some bandits. Bronze weapons and the Bandit Sash turn-ins in Qeynos reward more Bronze weapons, plus exp. If you prefer to camp an item I think a lot of lower levels camp the weight reduction bag off the orc in Kithicor for ~100ish plat per, and its not a Lore item.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:23 AM
Fire Giant

learn to tailor and make leather padding from lq/md pelts. I think I ended up spending like 5k from buying so many from low level tailors

the Salt King <Ironborn>
Old 12-02-2017, 11:29 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDrake [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you prefer to camp an item I think a lot of lower levels camp the weight reduction bag off the orc in Kithicor for ~100ish plat per, and its not a Lore item.
I've not actively done this, but I have killed the mob in passing. The bag also drops in Highhold Pass from the orcs there. Those orcs also drop scalps, which can be sold to people PLing alts/faction or handed in yourself for decent xp.

GLS are very nice xp/cash for the level.

I remember when I started Jimjam; I killed them solidly in NK until they weren't xp, then handed in a tonne of lightstone/greater lightstones. I had so much plat I got a set of the vendor sold plat, cos Jimjam is a bawlster, like that.
Old 12-02-2017, 04:06 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legidias [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some stuff just comes to you naturally while lvling fine though. If youre iksar and in kurns like 12-20, you will end up with bags and bags of bones without lifting a finger.

If you're like lvl 23 and killing crag spiders in EK, you will also end up with bags of spider silks. (Having said that, lvl 23+ in sol a is way better money)
Rabid grizzly skins turned in to the lady in the spaceship in queynos gets 3-4pp and pretty good exp. I even kill them today if I'm going that way.

Oh and faction too.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:26 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If a new player spends 2 hours farming bone chips and HQ bear skins, manages to save 500pp from selling lowbie mats to players he can then buy 2 55hp rings and a decent weapon like a green jade broadsword or a crystalline spider fang etc.

The 2 hours spent gathering mats to sell for profit will easily save time in the long run for a noob when they then can slaughter mobs with a 10/22 magic weapon and 110 extra hps compared to swinging a noob non-magical weapon 4/28.

The killing power with a much improved weapon alone is reason enough for a noob to work on getting a little bit of plat as they start out... How do you not understand this?

Unless you plan that someone will hand the brand new player gear for free, it definitely pays off for a new player to use the economics to their favor gathering lowbie mats to sell for profit. This way they earn their gears themselves too.
(1) it takes way more than 2 hours. killing, gathering, and then idle in EC looking for a trade takes way more than that, the roi vs time spent is horrible

(2) you assume the plat from bone chips can greatly increase the efficiency in leveling. this works only for melees, and without regen/haste which they cant afford, the down time is still huge. and for caster classes that 200p isn't going to do jack shxx

(3) if the intention to get plat is to buy gears to improve leveling efficiency, then the goal is to "save time". when you do nothing but gather bone chips and try to find a match in EC, that is the opposite of saving time. the hours you spent doing the looting/selling already well exceed the time you saved on leveling with cheap gears.

(4) 50pp weapons vs. 200pp weapons has almost no difference in leveling efficiency - on top of that 50pp weapons can be obtained free just by shouting in EC

(5) 2 hours can get 500pp from bone chips/high Q skins?? now ur just making shxx up. low level newb char solo naked?? 2 hours and you can get enuf bone chips/skins!? dude don't make up shxx man...straight lie

You need to stop lying about all the "great things" new players can obtain on a game like EQ. The fact is they will remain poor and have no leveling efficiency whatsoever without any help. You are painting this great picture what newly started players can achieve, only to let them realize at level 30 or 40 that they couldn't get jack unless they are over 50 or 55. By that time they are mostly too deeply invested into the game - all hours wasted.

You want to encourage new players, sure, but don't paint this fake beautiful picture on how new players can make plat and earn their gears. No they won't get good gears period until late game, and selling bone chips/skins doesn't get anywhere close either. P99 population is full of seasoned player, and every player is for themselves and for greed. Item prices rarely drop despite the increase in item supply. Sit in EC everyday for 2 weeks and you will see.
Last edited by wagorf; 12-04-2017 at 06:30 AM..
Old 12-04-2017, 03:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagorf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
(1) it takes way more than 2 hours. killing, gathering, and then idle in EC looking for a trade takes way more than that, the roi vs time spent is horrible

(2) you assume the plat from bone chips can greatly increase the efficiency in leveling. this works only for melees, and without regen/haste which they cant afford, the down time is still huge. and for caster classes that 200p isn't going to do jack shxx

(3) if the intention to get plat is to buy gears to improve leveling efficiency, then the goal is to "save time". when you do nothing but gather bone chips and try to find a match in EC, that is the opposite of saving time. the hours you spent doing the looting/selling already well exceed the time you saved on leveling with cheap gears.

(4) 50pp weapons vs. 200pp weapons has almost no difference in leveling efficiency - on top of that 50pp weapons can be obtained free just by shouting in EC

(5) 2 hours can get 500pp from bone chips/high Q skins?? now ur just making shxx up. low level newb char solo naked?? 2 hours and you can get enuf bone chips/skins!? dude don't make up shxx man...straight lie

You need to stop lying about all the "great things" new players can obtain on a game like EQ. The fact is they will remain poor and have no leveling efficiency whatsoever without any help. You are painting this great picture what newly started players can achieve, only to let them realize at level 30 or 40 that they couldn't get jack unless they are over 50 or 55. By that time they are mostly too deeply invested into the game - all hours wasted.

You want to encourage new players, sure, but don't paint this fake beautiful picture on how new players can make plat and earn their gears. No they won't get good gears period until late game, and selling bone chips/skins doesn't get anywhere close either. P99 population is full of seasoned player, and every player is for themselves and for greed. Item prices rarely drop despite the increase in item supply. Sit in EC everyday for 2 weeks and you will see.
1) EC isn't an idle zone for low level characters, in fact it is a great place to XP, farm trade skill or xp quest components as high level buffs are available. That said, you don't even need to go to EC to make sales.

2) I actually agree with this point, and would suggest questing bonechips earnt in the first few levels for kaladim xp. I've found vendored trash from decayed skeletons is often enough to get that entry level 10/25 for melees or a nice ratio 11/20ish 2hb for casters for a reasonable 20-50pp. That said, melee don't need downtime. The battle bandage technique is pretty OP, and coupled with good target selection an untwinked melee can still chain kills without downtime.

3) I can't speak on behalf of Really Useful Poster Lhance, but I'd say the intention is to maximise PP without sacrificing XP. Hence my example of decayed skeletons over moss snakes. And again, bonechips are pretty easy to shift out in the field. Ask passing necromancers, cold call based on /who all, auction in zone. Or again, double duty your EC time.

4) Agreed, but many find handouts distatesful. I'm happy with a 20-50pp 10/25 weapon on a melee for a long time. P1999 newbs are spoiled for weapons. Hell, on one of my war alts I picked up a Fist of Zek for entry level plat. Looted armour is more than enough (I soloed a dark elf war on red to 40 in raw hide armor). If I were to stockpile a couple of hundred early on I'd invest in hp/ac rings. Otherwise I'd sit on that cash and save for haste gloves.

5) Seems a lot to me too. If you get a rusty 2 hander early on you can tear up north ro 1-hit killing for xp and loot, but still 500 is ambitious. 100 stacks of bone chips in 120 mins would be 1 chip looted every 3.6 seconds (assuming 5pp per stack). Assuming you aren't vendoring weapons/bags/armor.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:48 PM
Fire Giant

Find a camp that drops gems or FS/Bronze.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:00 PM
Planar Protector

I found guk spiders to be pretty decent cash because they drop many low weight stackable gems worth several gold, or even plat, each. Even the silks vendor decently if you are anti EC like me.
Closed Thread