Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 03-29-2011, 09:21 PM
Orc

Default Figured this would be a first pager/sticky

This afternoon after a BSOD and sluggish performance I ran a Windows update. After further issues I ran a full virus scan (I use Norton).

After yet further issues I clicked on Norton's "click me if you still have issues" and downloaded their Norton Power Eraser.

This thing says something to the effect that it eliminates "crimeware" that is deeply embedded and may be missed by a regular scan.

On running this (I run it infrequently as a check when things get weird on my oldish-xp machine) for the very first time ever it declared "eqgame.exe" "Bad".......

I don't have regular SOE EQ installed. I only play here.

Well the tool isn't the greatest in the world. It never did explain what was wrong with eqgame.exe (embedded keylogger/simple change to the file due to expansion/etc.) but since something that scans for "crimeware" declared it bad I called upon it to do its thing.

Its "thing" eliminated my install of P99 essentially....

Since I have never seen P99's install give a problem like this before I would like for an official response on this as I can't play now (and wont reinstall I guess till i figure out what's what). I would also be interested to see if others who have Norton ran that "Power Eraser" software and tell me in this thread what it has to say...

thanks
Old 03-29-2011, 09:34 PM
Fire Giant

Anti virus software can sometimes give false positives. This is probably what happened here.

What you should do is put it your retail disc of the game, and running it on that. if it finds it on the retail disc then its a false positive for sure.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:40 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrushev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anti virus software can sometimes give false positives. This is probably what happened here.

What you should do is put it your retail disc of the game, and running it on that. if it finds it on the retail disc then its a false positive for sure.
Not funny.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:44 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Jacq [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not funny.
But 100% factual....
Old 03-29-2011, 09:44 PM
Project Manager

His response is correct.

We do not distribute executable files to you, so use your anti virus to scan the same file from your "installation disc."

If it claims to be infected again, I'd say Norton Power Eraser is untrustworthy for eqgame.exe.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:53 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
His response is correct.

We do not distribute executable files to you, so use your anti virus to scan the same file from your "installation disc."

If it claims to be infected again, I'd say Norton Power Eraser is untrustworthy for eqgame.exe.
The weird thing is that I ran that very software two weeks ago and it said I didn't have any problems.

I know you guys don't patch conventionally (ye old modified .exe which used to give me the prompt each time back on live) and can't explain it. I'll try a reinstall. And I do have the discs. I just have to dig them back out of the garage.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:43 PM
Kobold

I went ahead an "downloaded" norton to give it whirl. It's a false positive. tell it to ignore it or allow it privileges. Even tested it on my "installation disc" for titanium
Old 03-30-2011, 12:15 AM
Orc

I guess it's nothing... Still weird that it didn't have issues until recently. Oh well... Pretty much a night of fighting with my computer. I even reinstalled into another directory (not default program files). Still gave me issues.

The good news is that I'm back in business. The bad news is that something official still thinks I have "crimeware" installed on my computer... =/

And the worst news: time to reset all of my UI options =P

OK, maybe a little good news: I changed my splash screen to Kunark from Velious to stay topical.