Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 05-15-2014, 01:35 AM
Planar Protector

Don't see anything here about aggro range being large.

Also your link has a guy saying he's easy to avoid. My guess is evils got stomped by him because he was a high level guard in a zone that most people auctioned in. Lots of people got trained by him to zoneline, that'd account for a lot of "man this guy hit me out of nowhere!"
Old 05-15-2014, 01:35 AM
Planar Protector

if it was truly classic, then slate would go to the tunnel. not just teleport/reset when he gets close. its very dumb that you can clear slate aggro by just running to the tunnel.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:39 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by phacemeltar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
if it was truly classic, then slate would go to the tunnel. not just teleport/reset when he gets close. its very dumb that you can clear slate aggro by just running to the tunnel.
He doesn't run to the tunnel here? Do griffins?

Did the devs program this out so people would stop killing lowbies trying to auction?
Old 05-15-2014, 01:41 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
He doesn't run to the tunnel here? Do griffins?

Did the devs program this out so people would stop killing lowbies trying to auction?
yea i think so. every time i charm slate and run to the tunnel with him, it just clears him and resets him to spawn. its obviously some sort of dev implementation because it clears my aggro and removes him as my pet. disappointing, as this is the main reason i rolled enchanter.

EDIT: this is not the case with griffs or low level guards.
Last edited by phacemeltar; 05-15-2014 at 01:43 AM..
Old 05-15-2014, 01:45 AM
Planar Protector

this is actually very upsetting to me, as the same people who always cry about things being classic will then complain about how EC tunnel should be a safe spot. seems backwards to me, iirc classic EQ has no safe spots.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:12 AM
Fire Giant

Default slate did have large agro radius from personal exp

Chello everyone

First of remember that everquest did go through many changes and it has been 15 years.

Memory is not proof for a reason, memory is biased.

Ok now that being said my personal experience from killing guards in east commons was that slate would charge me when i was killing guard in the middle inn one closest to the undead pillars where the ghouls and mummy skeleton would span.

I would always see him charge from over the hill as you look towards free port from this inn. He would also charge me form a good ways up the path heading toward west commons ,when i was kill the guard at inn1 one closest to Freeport.

Man people would probable not even notice at what distance slate got agro as they would not pay attention and so their memory is of sergeant slate just showing up and pummeling them into the ground while killing the guards.

Finally because of the many changes to guard killing sony implemented we will probably never have a consensus as to what determine classic. We probably are not going to find much information in swayback machine.

In the end the time and effort to get as close to classic (whatever that means to you )as we can is not worth it since we cannot ever get enough proof to convince the developers of this wonderful server.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Nilbog:

" I'll keep making classic changes when I can, regardless if people threaten to quit. I'm here to recreate classic eq; not to make people happy."
Last edited by Buellen; 05-15-2014 at 02:19 AM..
Old 05-15-2014, 10:52 AM
Aviak

I never did do guards in east commons, but I do remember people bitching about his insane assist aggro radius. I remember people bitching about the dragoons in OT when kunark launched because they were like evil Sargent slates running at bard speed lol. thats why the guards in EC were almost never camped and the guards in WC tollbooth were perma camped with a line of people waiting
Old 05-15-2014, 11:53 AM
Banned

WC toll booth guards were higher level. After leveling off EC guards people'd find somewhere to go in between that and the WC ones.

I don't think guards in towns had the kind of assist radius Slate did. He was a very special evil griefer.

Slate was definitely avoidable but you had to make sure he was extremely far away or you pulled Reskin to the tunnel to Nektulos if it was a class that couldn't just burst him down.

I tried to kill him with ice comet in full int (not resist, pvp server remember) gear and went completely oom trying at lvl 50. I came back in Kunark and tried with draught of fire, and was barely able to do so on some occasions but most times I'd go oom.

Aside:
I know the spots we were able to nuke people in the Neriak bank from (and subsequently where it would not work from) where guards would not aggro on live if we need to guestimate a better range for the ones in towns.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:01 PM
Sarnak

this turtle guy is dropping the "classic" bombs all over the place today
Old 05-15-2014, 12:17 PM
Banned

Yes I like him and the woodwork he crawled out of [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by phacemeltar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If it was truly classic we'd have 4-5 GMs (almost) always on and getting paid to do it to deal with people pulling him there to grief.

People would also be paying subs and losing a character they put ~100$ a year into for doing it.