Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 03:53 AM
Large Rat

Default New to 1999 - Old to EQ: Status of Raids? Nagafen? Vox? Trak?

So I'm thinking about playing EQ again and 1999 seems like the right place to be. I'm a pretty regular player, probably every night about 4 hours or so. What I want to know is... how are things going for higher level raids?

Nagafen & Vox: Are these perma-farmed by leading guild alts? Much chance for the community?

Trakanon?

.... other dragons?

How about camping the FBSS? Used to be tough to get in back in the day, but the camp would eventually open up.

You know, stuff like that.

Lots of magic in EQ and I'd like to come back, but if it's an environment where "normal" players don't have a chance at stuff, well... probably not.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:29 AM
Banned

The past couple of years one guild, TMO, gets atleast 90% of the boss kills. Naggy/vox arent contested as fiercely as trak anymore.

But yeah this guild TMO will have someone tracking each boss the hours its suppose to spawn and when it does they send mass phone texts to every member and they get 30+ people everytime even at 3am or 6am anyday of the week. If they want it that bad they poopsock the mob, which is having a sufficient raid force standing at the mobs spawn point in its window to spawn.

Bosses have a variance of +\- couple hours, its not classic with a set spawn.

Other guilds can do plane of hate and fear trash, or plane of sky. Or one other guild forceful entry sometimes beats TMO at their own game and out poopsocks of batphones them for a boss.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:16 AM
Planar Protector

Not a single player has told me to look forward to raiding on p99
Old 10-06-2013, 07:40 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadre Spinegnawer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The problem with expecting to raid on P99 is it's not life or death to raid; the journey to most people is more important than endgame farming.

Those feels when you first killed that guard that KS'd you in Misty,
The feeling of working to get your epic which may or may not happen,
The adventure of finding your corpse with the help of the people you've met along your journey,
The faction metagame and the feeling when you've ground out enough faction to get inside the city, dodging guilds that still hate you,
and making friendships with everyone along the way.

These kind of things are what classic EQ are about. The best thing about Classic EQ is that there was so much damn content - that no one touches anymore in the live game with so much depth and lore behind them. Now a days MMOs are about the rush to endgame, to sit at your chair and log in only a few days a week and be on call for contested. There is no game out there that rivals the feel of adventuring in classic EQ. The moment you had to whip out your wallet to get an edge over other players is the day the genre died.

EQ was the first MMORPG done right, and potentially one of the last few done right. It's supposed to be a persistent, living world, and if slaughtering dragons that die in 30 seconds is your idea of the only thing 'fun' on Project 1999, then you need to just re-evaluate your priorities and enjoy the game for what it is; One of the most beautiful sandbox games that there ever was.

Now tell me, do you want to play EQ, or play the modern MMO?

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-06-2013, 09:18 AM
Large Rat

Ya all of that is why I'm looking at p99, it's the socializing and working towards stuff that make me reminisce about EQ. The most important memories to me were guild related though. Recruiting, building up a guild, getting your guilds first dragon kills. Nagafen is my personal favorite ^_^
Old 10-06-2013, 09:19 AM
Planar Protector

The problem isn't a game design problem. EQ here is working (amazingly) mostly as it should due to the work of a very dedicated team. Of course, if you just don't like EQ when it is working properly you aren't ever going to love EQ here either.

The issues on p99 are mostly community issues (i.e. the players). Most of the population is great. There are some issues that have risen out of folks having time to roll so many alts due to the slower time line. The raid community is pretty bleh.

It isn't a new thing. It happened back on some of the original servers also. There were some servers that were much much worse than others. I wouldn't say that p99's raid scene is as bad as the worst EQ server back in the day, but it is definitely up there.

Be prepared for all the lovely things that come along with old EQ raiding...of course, you don't have to raid. Old EQ also had plenty of non-raiding folks, and we have that here too.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:45 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadre Spinegnawer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've been playing here off and on for over 3 years and have way too many toons, none above 52....pretty much just play what I'm feeling at any given time as I come and go. A good friend is constantly on about me finally picking a class to do the 50s with so I can app his guild and raid. A few weeks ago I finally had to break it to him that I had zero interest in raiding on this server, for now, at least.

"I need to be in a raiding guild on p99 right now about like I need a case of the crabs" was how I put it, actually.

I love the group game and the community, though. Closest thing to the classic live experience I know of, atm.
Last edited by Weekapaug; 10-06-2013 at 09:50 AM..
Old 10-06-2013, 10:11 AM
Aviak

Quote:
This was the exact same attitude I was introduced to when I started playing.

However I may add that its still fun leveling up, making friends, getting loot, twinking alts, running the numbers game in EC. I love this server but the raid / guild drama is awful. So much so that I have been reluctant to join any guilds with my main. My hope is that velious will solve that with the multi-faction raids alleviating the awful bickering that goes on here.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:12 AM
Planar Protector

there's a good amount of raid-ish stuff you can do at level 50+ that isn't as highly contested as the dragons.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Large Rat

Sounds like a private hunting preserve.

Lots of merit with the other stuff, but for me, in my 300+ days plays of EQ, with my guild, I saw Trakanon twice, Nagafen & Vox surely less than 10 times combined. It was worth it. If that is more like 0, 0, 0 here, I'll pass.

Count me as another tombstone.

This isn't original EQ, it's close, but you said it yourself. Release timeline = problems. So adjust the rules to face reality. How about a kill counter. If you've killed Nagafen 20 times, you don't get to kill that particular one any more. Or if you've got 3/4 of the kills over a 2 month period, you get ported out for that 4th one. Even giving the community the very muckity muck is enough.
Closed Thread