Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 02:03 AM
Project Manager

Default GM Event.. not working as intended.

So.. Bloody Kithicor. All the scripting was done and tons of people came to participate.

The amount of players + the scripts blew the zone up. It was incapable of handling what was going on and what most of you saw was lag and hot death. Sorry about that.

From now on, the GM events will be split into multi zones by level. There seems to be no problem as long as people are spread out.

The event was to cater to people of all levels.. with plenty of mobs to spawn. Around 60 concurrent mobs, lvl 15-35s would have filled the forest, for around an hour, and Lanys personal guard (50s) were to be fought by raids. She would pause when their were engaged, and eventually make it to HHP where she confronted Firiona Vie. Anyways, that was the intent.

It works beautifully with no one in the zone :P Bloody Kithicor wasn't supposed to be a loot frenzy or anything, but a good amount of loot that should have dropped, didn't get the chance.

Learning from mistakes, we won't try and shove everyone into 1 zone again O.o. On a positive note, we hit 482 players online.
Last edited by nilbog; 02-06-2010 at 02:06 AM..
Old 02-06-2010, 02:17 AM
Kobold

That's awesome. Almost the big 5-0-0!

The event looked to have great potential. Sorry it didn't work out. More sorry that I'm sure you guys took a LONG time researching all that lore for the event.

Still pretty awesome thought.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:25 AM
Large Rat

Are we getting rezzes for dying during event or no?
Old 02-06-2010, 02:29 AM
Aviak

I want to thank you for filling the mobs with stealable loot, I wasn't expecting it but I was pleasantly suprised when I made off like a bandit.(pun intended) Which of course filled me with pride that I was able to utilize my skills to their fullest for the benefit of everyone and especially myself as a solo Rogue.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Fire Giant

The original bloody kithicor event took place across multiple zones. I remember spending my night defending highpass (with the level 30s)
Old 02-14-2010, 11:48 AM
Developer

Send a message via AIM to Aeolwind Send a message via MSN to Aeolwind Send a message via Yahoo to Aeolwind

Since the server/zone/whatever can't handle 200+ people in a zone....if we could find a way to setup instances for the events of about 50 or so players per....how many of you would want to stake and crucify me for mentioning it? And by it I mean instancing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilbog
If all the polls I have done up until now fully counted, you would be playing on some abomination of a PVP server with 2-10 boxing based on votes from people named xcm234nv and adfa234.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:06 PM
Sarnak

Well If you are going to have 1 SUPER strong raid boss that takes 150 players to kill and then pass out all the loot it seems like this would save you trouble. You could have 3 or 4 copies of the zone for each guild and make an easier boss that drops less loot that they get all of. Then you dont have to waste time having everyone random or passing out all the no drop items.

This even opens up the possibility of using some of the many unused zones from higher expansions for custom events. You can pop a translator someplace that ports people to 1 of 3 zones based on their level.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:32 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolwind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Since the server/zone/whatever can't handle 200+ people in a zone....if we could find a way to setup instances for the events of about 50 or so players per....how many of you would want to stake and crucify me for mentioning it? And by it I mean instancing.
While instancing isn't classic I think GM events is 1 place where it could be a good idea if used correctly. It's better to have instanced events than none at all due to zone crashing.

Maybe during the event have instanced versions of the zones used in the events and have the zone lines automatically zone people into the instances based on their level. So in future have multi-zone events that separates people and make them fight mobs within their level range. For level 50s you may need more versions of that same zone due to numbers.

Since you already created the script for this event it would probably be too much work to change it to fit this idea and a normal splitting up could be used. Maybe use portals so guilds can be sure to enter the same zone.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolwind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd only call for such drastic measures (burning at the stake and what not) if this were a pvp server or something. =P

Honestly, the only issue I would see with instancing is the question of what defines a GM event. If there are 8-10 instances of a scripted event taking place at the same time, can it really feel like the GMs are actively participating? I'm just not sure it's a GM event without more direct involvement.

Now, this isn't to say such an event would be a bad thing. A one-time event with fun scripting and interesting loot is still great entertainment for all, regardless of GM 'interaction'.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Sarnak

The GMs will be controlling the boss mobs no one wants to control some random level 30 mob that gets ganked 5 minutes into the event.
Closed Thread