Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 05:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfcell [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
and you are all wrong because no one cares, nothing you do matters and 1000 years from now no one will even know you existed so chill out.
Living right now though, I could care less about people 1000 years from now. Today is today. What kind of life is "Nothing you do matters, no one cares, chill out" while it might be true in the grand scheme of things it does rob you of a certain vitality and a passive acceptance, its too weak to be a functioning frame of thought.

Dust in the wind, ashes to ashes.. doesn't help you get over that obstacle.
Last edited by Mblake81; 07-09-2019 at 05:16 AM..
Old 07-09-2019, 08:57 AM
Planar Protector

Of course EQ takes skill to be good at. As halfcell said, it's a combination of experience, reflexes, ability to read rapidly changing situations (i.e., 'situational awareness'), knowledge of your class and other's in the group, knowledge of how given mobs react, knowledge of zone layout, and many other things.

How can you tell if someone is 'good' at EQ? Group with them and consistently live through tough situations is one way. Ask other people what their opinion is of the player. Watch them solo something tough. Gear is not a very good indicator, because you can get gear through other means than being 'good' at EQ.

Some classes make it more obvious than others. Enchanter or bard for two. But even simpler melee classes have their moments. Does the melee always seem to be paying attention to what mobs are mezzed and when it might drop? Do they strip adds off of the casters? Do they park when needed? Do they switch targets consistently to the right mob? Do they manage their health such that they don't use up healer mana unnecessarily? Do they know how to hold or avoid aggro and in what situations to do so? Do they know how to corner and when to pop their discs? These are all skills.

In giant zergs yeah it's usually pretty easy, especially for melees. Once a group is established and the pulls are well managed (another skill), then it's mostly pretty automatic. But group with someone one on a tough break in or in an area that's very dangerous and who is skilled and who is not is pretty apparent.

People saying it doesn't take skill to play EQ might be using a different definition of 'skill' than I do. Pretty much anyone would agree I think that brain surgery takes skill, though, right? But if you talk to a surgeon, there are operations that they have done so many times they are essentially on automatic and can mostly think about other stuff while they are doing it. Does that mean it doesn't take skill?

EQ can be simple, and often is. It can also very suddenly get really complicated and hard to manage, and only a combination of luck, skill, and teamwork will let the group survive. That takes skill.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:38 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfcell [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Being "good" at Everquest requires the same mix of things that are required to be good at anything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think social skills are important. It helps being able to rally people to your cause, to work as part of a team, be a good follower or good leader.
The more I think about it, the more I realize that being good at everquest requires gamified versions of everything that being good at real life requires.

Saving your money.

Working hard for the lion share of the day.

Keeping your inventory, and bank clean.

Making friends and networking.

Investing in new equipment to get more, new equipment.

Finding a true love to make a baby ok wait.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:22 AM
Planar Protector

The true love is fungal and the baby is a melee alt.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:35 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Living right now though, I could care less about people 1000 years from now. Today is today. What kind of life is "Nothing you do matters, no one cares, chill out" while it might be true in the grand scheme of things it does rob you of a certain vitality and a passive acceptance, its too weak to be a functioning frame of thought.

Dust in the wind, ashes to ashes.. doesn't help you get over that obstacle.
https://youtu.be/ySjxZDT_5SA?t=24

Also the riddle in Shadows of Amn where the bridge asks you which step on your journey is the most important, and the correct answer is "The current step, for it is the only one that I have any control over."
Old 07-09-2019, 10:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also the riddle in Shadows of Amn where the bridge asks you which step on your journey is the most important, and the correct answer is "The current step, for it is the only one that I have any control over."
"You may pass"

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-09-2019, 12:25 PM
Planar Protector

One of the issues I've had on p99 is that I get tired of dealing with folks who think they are the elite 1-5% of the server because they have great EQ gear.

On p99 having that type of gear puts you in the top 50% of p99, not the top 5% like on live. Folks are actively role-playing being an elite jerk who is "good" at EQ when they weren't even able to get max level back on live.

To be sure, I have actually met some great EQ players on p99 who would have been (and in some cases actually were) from that elite strata on live...but it rarely has anything to do with their gear...and certainly not with their inflated egos.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:06 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
One of the issues I've had on p99 is that I get tired of dealing with folks who think they are the elite 1-5% of the server because they have great EQ gear.

On p99 having that type of gear puts you in the top 50% of p99, not the top 5% like on live. Folks are actively role-playing being an elite jerk who is "good" at EQ when they weren't even able to get max level back on live.

To be sure, I have actually met some great EQ players on p99 who would have been (and in some cases actually were) from that elite strata on live...but it rarely has anything to do with their gear...and certainly not with their inflated egos.
Preach
Old 07-09-2019, 02:01 PM
Kobold

EQ takes skill. I know this because I am terrible and others are not, so they are more skilled than I.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:38 PM
Planar Protector

No, this game takes no skill