Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 09:44 AM
Kobold

Default Binding at pots question

so I was thinking about the whole "you cannot bind at pots" argument.
I understand that it can be abused, but here's my counter-argument.

Is anything stopping players from just killing themselves there and having a "stored corpse" for clerics to revive as a form of "bind" ?[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

With all the druid rings, magicians, and other teleporting shenanigans out there, it seems kinda silly that the few classes that could use this the most (those without teleports but with bind) are restricted from this the most.

tl;dr - give enchanters the right to bind self at pots so that we can all be happy.
(i'll probably still keep trying to think up ways to screw with pots otherwise, until it becomes easier to use, like druid ports.)

anyways, my real question is this:
Is it really that bad for people to bind at pots now? With all the massive amounts of players doing teleports left and right with alts left and right, is this so much of an issue still or just a biased derogatory viewpoint against solo players?
Old 05-01-2019, 09:56 AM
Fire Giant

This is supposed to be an MMORPG not solo. Thats honestly what made this game so great back in the day was the people.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:02 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_jon3s [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is supposed to be an MMORPG not solo. Thats honestly what made this game so great back in the day was the people.
then why even have the pots in the game in the first place? why should they exist? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Clearly they were a dev room product and should be immediately removed. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-01-2019, 10:09 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Send a message via Yahoo to moseman

You would only be able to rez a corpse for two hours of in game time seems that would be a waste of time then to just ask for a port...
Old 05-01-2019, 10:43 AM
Fire Giant

You can rez a corpse for up to a week, it just won't be an XP rez. You can always duel another player to create a "no XP loss" body.

Having said that, dying at pots just so you can be rezzed there to get somewhere quicker is extremely counter intuitive. The time it would take to bind at WC rings and get a port to wherever you need is undoubtedly faster.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:02 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3r14k [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can rez a corpse for up to a week, it just won't be an XP rez. You can always duel another player to create a "no XP loss" body.

Having said that, dying at pots just so you can be rezzed there to get somewhere quicker is extremely counter intuitive. The time it would take to bind at WC rings and get a port to wherever you need is undoubtedly faster.
I think you've proven my point as to why pots should be released for enchanters... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

not to mention it's canon in the lore that a certain erudian used a certain highway to travel across the land via pots.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:05 AM
Banned

Remember, OP is the same guy trying to convince the caster forum that charming on an enchanter is a sub-optimal waste of time.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:10 AM
Planar Protector

Play on Green. Level your Enchanter in the first year. When Kunark arrives bind yourself there during the brief window when it's possible and never re-bind elsewhere.

Problem solved.

But also, to OP's point, in the Velious era being bound at the pots is significantly less useful that it was in the Kunark era. And of course the Luclin teleporters trivialized travel so much they re-opened binding in that zone.

Still, I'd think most people would agree that in Velious, even though it's far less good, being bound at the pots is still a pretty powerful way to get to all non-Velious content, and that's significant enough to leave the zone blocked (ie. exactly what the live devs actually did).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 05-01-2019 at 11:13 AM..
Old 05-01-2019, 11:28 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimitto [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I understand that it can be abused
There is your answer. No need for a comma and more text, just that. But, if you want more..

The firepots were never meant to be a main travel system. And would not be classic to become one. It was/is an Easter egg. I believe the real intent for the easter egg was for kunark travelers who want to brave it and maybe cut some boat travel time off in a fun adventure way.

Regardless of the amount of porting available, since you ask why is it a big deal. Do you think the demand for porting stays the same if people bound at pots?

At the time the intent was not to allow an enchanter to travel from the bottom of a kunark/velious dungeon to say the bank in Neriak in a minute with zoning. Not for them selves or for guild mobilization reasons.

You dont need the nexus or pok out in the middle of the water, leave it alone and keep it classy' and stop thinking about the "would it hurt if we made this thing easier" because if anything we need shared banks..... /opens a can of abu'kar

Forgot to add--you didnt mention players with hammers as well. Albeit its not everywhere on the map but being able to use both to go to and fro is like putting a highway through norrath.

I say all this as an player with a gating char bound at the pots.
Last edited by Haloren; 05-01-2019 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: added an "AND ANOTHER THING"
Old 05-01-2019, 11:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimitto [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
then why even have the pots in the game in the first place? why should they exist? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Its a way out of one of the most remote and massive zones in the game, which is full of water, and doesn't have any portal locations just boats. It wasn't intended to be an easy way to avoid the reliance on other players for teleportation.
Closed Thread