Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 12:35 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Finally reliving EQ as I once loved it

First and foremost I'd like to thank those who actively post on this forum as it is you who ultimately have me taking the plunge.* I have been actively perusing the boards and researching my intent over the past few months as I waited for my schedule to clear up.* The stories being shared and the overall willingness of the community to help one another instantly hooked me and reminded me why I loved this damn game so much.

Little back story (skip by if you so choose)...

I was very young when this game was released and certainly over my head.* The world was intimidatingly vast, and this being my first CPU game let alone MMO was a challenge.* I can only imagine how many group members I infuriated as my Halfling Druid truly thought he should be in the thick of things at all times.* This concept of me healing anyone other than myself was probably foreign to me in the beginning.* As the game and I matured and I adjusted myself to my actual role in a group setting I began to have a blast.* The Druid on Mithaniel Marr certainly had a lot of help on his journey, but fizzled out in the 30s as real life began to ramp up and play time took a backseat.*

I have done my best to try and recruit everyone and anyone I know to join me on this ride.* Sadly, I have never known an individual personally who played EQ and nobody seems keen on the idea of booting up a 15+ year old game when they don't have the nostalgic pulls that I do.* This shall be a solo endeavor on my part.***

My choice in class most likely will come down to one of the 2 knight hybrids (Ogre SK or Dwarf Paly).* I shifted towards tanking in EQ2 and dabbled in WoW, ultimately really enjoying the role.* I understand their limitations in large part due to their xp penalty (being removed soon???) and understand a long haul is ahead of me.* I am generally not an alt-aholic, and hope that I can find a way to make my naked knight successful without starting out with a Druid/Necro farming/solo class as so many vets advise us new players to do.* For me the pull to return is centered around grouping and the social aspects of EQ that I simply never found again in another game, and soloing in some corner of a zone night after night does not appeal to me.

I am eagerly anticipating the time that will soon be spent with the rest of you on p1999.* I shall update this post with an actual character name for my knights once I decide upon one later tonight!
Old 10-26-2015, 12:31 PM
Decaying Skeleton

After some deliberation I decided to go with the Bard class. Something new to me and I like the challenge and utility it provides. Lvl 8 atm and I truly suck at AOE kiting. I've watched all the videos and tried to mirror their tactics but still get whacked by mobs constantly. Considering I'd rather group my way up this doesn't bother me to much, but it would be nice to learn the tactic for instances where no groups are to be found.

Name is Riddoin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-28-2015, 07:13 PM
Aviak

Welcome back to the game!
Old 10-28-2015, 09:52 PM
Kobold

I duo'd with a rogue all the way to 20. It was pretty awesome because there was practically no downtime and bards get...everything.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:47 PM
Fire Giant

Welcome back! The kiting takes practice and becomes much easier at 18.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:11 PM
Aviak

Yeah, they level 2 AOE DOT has a much smaller range than the 18. It's not impossible to swarm with that one, but it's just not as easy.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:36 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie328 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, they level 2 AOE DOT has a much smaller range than the 18. It's not impossible to swarm with that one, but it's just not as easy.
Makes a lot of sense actually... I was trying to do it with the level 2 aoe dot and got frustrated.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:19 PM
Planar Protector

If it helps I continue to suck at it after tons of practice in the 20s, I think my ping is partly the issue (110-120ish) but keep trying [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-29-2015, 05:34 PM
Aviak

It takes practice, but I can tell you that once you have it, it's amazing exp. Even when last kills you multiple times, you'll still level at lightning speed.
Closed Thread