Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 07:51 PM
Sarnak

Talking Warrior - Paladin - Shadow Knight

Since the -Tanks- forum is practically bone dry maybe people with some knowledge of our tanks could inform newcomers on what a good beginning and end game choice for tanking would be.

Here's some basic info.

-Warrior-
10% exp bonus-

Offensive and Defensive Disciplines-

Additional Level
abilities- obtained-

Bash 6
Dodge 6
Parry 10
Duel Wield 13
Double Attack 15
Riposte 25
Disarm 35

-Paladin-
40% exp reduction-

Beginning at level 9 they get Cleric-based spells-

Lay on Hands, single target instant heal-

Additional Level
abilities- obtained-

Bash 6
Dodge 10
Parry 17
Double Attack 20
Riposte 30
Disarm 40

-Shadow Knight-
40% exp reduction-

The solo Tank/Hybrid-

Beginning at level 9 they get Necromancer-based spells-

Harm Touch, single target instant DD-

Additional Level
abilities- obtained-

Bash 6
Dodge 10
Parry 17
Double Attack 20
Riposte 30
Disarm 40

If anyone knows some end-game raid info on the efficiency of these classes please don't hesitate to post.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Idk about end game but I know pros for tanking
The pally as said has cleric spells ,at 49 they get Rez and extra heals can help a ton at spots ,i think at 59 they get full exp Rez .. And un dead dds as they lvl helps
Sk biggest con. They get feign death. As a spell but makes for a good puller
Old 02-22-2012, 09:29 PM
Fire Giant

I don't know about on p99 but Shadow Knights can hold aggro better than Paladins due to threat created by Disease Cloud. Once that gets nerfed (Velious?) though, all bets are off.

IMO LoH is very powerful, HT is just mediocre and FD can be godlike.

You don't get FD until 30 though, so take that FWIW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo Cooper, Senior Artist, SOE
Shut up and give me my ten bucks per month, little man. My Porsche needs some performance upgrades.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:24 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grozmok [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't know about on p99 but Shadow Knights can hold aggro better than Paladins due to threat created by Disease Cloud. Once that gets nerfed (Velious?) though, all bets are off.

IMO LoH is very powerful, HT is just mediocre and FD can be godlike.

You don't get FD until 30 though, so take that FWIW
LoH saves many an ass whipping
Old 02-23-2012, 08:32 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kender [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
LoH saves many an ass whipping
Absolutely.

I think the real benefit besides saving the player a corpse run and exp loss, is the reduced downtime. Depending on who is or isn't saved can have a fairly dramatic effect on the group and sustained exp gain.

If that's important to each player, respectively.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo Cooper, Senior Artist, SOE
Shut up and give me my ten bucks per month, little man. My Porsche needs some performance upgrades.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:46 PM
Fire Giant

sk and pally dont mitigte damage as well as warriors, and when it comes to raid targets you can't go past warrior

grp situations are different though. the mitigation gap can be reduced with spell abilities

sk's have str stealing and life draining abilities to reduce damage (albiet slightly) and self heal

pallies get stuns (from 30+) which prevent damage during stun and interupt those pesky casters. They can self heal (and later on excluding regen, can actually do it almost as well as a druid. both get superior healing Dru at 53 Pal at 57)

as has been noted, sk can fd.
as has not been noted, pallies can lull lines to pull instead of fd

all 3 have there own +'s and -'s

in summary...

Warrior - best mitigation at all times and really the only option for tanking end game velious

SK - Best solo class (fear kite), best snap agro, FD, good dps

Pally - Lowest dps, Heals, Rezes, better snap agro than warrior, stuns, HP/AC buffs (where cleric is not present), lull
Old 03-01-2012, 05:26 PM
Decaying Skeleton

On warriors ,what's pros and cons of a iskar warrior
Old 03-01-2012, 07:05 PM
Sarnak

I vaguely remember Iksars not being able to wear plate back in the old days, but I'm not sure if that applies to this server... (?)

- Eliphas Levi
Old 03-02-2012, 05:14 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scavrefamn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I vaguely remember Iksars not being able to wear plate back in the old days, but I'm not sure if that applies to this server... (?)
Kunark plate they can't wear but Velious armors they could.

Also iksars get a racial bonus to armor class.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:03 AM
Aviak

IIRC Paladin gets 90% rez at 59 or whenever it is, not full. If you really are looking to make a comprehensive list OP then you should probably add Kick to the warrior skill list.
I know alot of wars get rolled as large races w/ bash, but there still alot of med/small warriors.

As for newer players, or people just starting, it's generally considered easier to go w/ a hybrid tank as they are less dependent on weapons/procs for agro, and can focus on hp/ac gear more so than a warrior. Some people think the difficulties warriors can face w/ agro in good groups can turn newer players off as well. The con to this obviously being the hybrid xp penalty.

Paladins truly can be a nice option for groups that are limited in their healing capacity, i.e. shaman healer or druid (more so probably in Kunark, w/ higher hp mobs) as well as the Oh shit button that LoH provides (Great for moments when say, the enchanter or cleric gets mad agro and and is going down).

Iksar's have regen and ac bonus, and until velious are limited severly in armor choices as a warrior. They do get the class weapon quest, which can also slot in the back iirc (for people who like convoluted quests..) The mancatcher is nice if you can get it done reasonably quickly (altho tbh I am not sure on it's status on p99) as it's 14/30 w/ a proc or something similar, in additon to 8ac and some sta. altho later on if you end up w/ a back slot haste item it becomes pretty much an offhand or a full bank slot.
Closed Thread