Rogue to level 8,
I hate being melee, I want to cast.
Wizard again to level 4,
remember how much I hated leveling as Wizard,
Druid again to level 4,
yeah I love the class, but I hate the nature theme,
Wizard again to level 4....

Maybe I should just give up.

I want to do everything (utility, group, buffing, soloability), but the one class that seems to do it all, Druid, just doesn't sit with me. I like the arcane caster theme, not nature.

Ironically, when I played EQ in 2003, I mained a Druid during PoP and Ykesha (granted I played casually). It's so weird that now I'm older I hate the idea of nature casters, yet it used to be amazing. I remember spending most of my time hanging out in low level areas PLing people for free, just chatting.

I wish I could just make alts and flick between them, but I keep rerolling to keep my 'main' name [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Should I just stick to Wizard and accept it's many limitations? Or force myself to level to the more interesting stuff on Druid -- surely if I managed to main one to 60 back in the day, I can learn to love it again?
Last edited by JosiahLightwood; 10-26-2022 at 04:10 PM..
Old 10-26-2022, 04:18 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah its tough, if you hate pets, but want to be a caster, and mage didnt work i am sure necro wont either, but you might like it, at this point why not give it a go?
Old 10-26-2022, 04:25 PM
Planar Protector

Stick with wizard. They get decent at 20

Buy sow pots blood of the wolf. Until u can get jboots and tflux staff.

Realize u can immobilez/ enstill and just camp agro to split 2-3... maybe 4 spawns. (Killl one. Reroot-snsre and camp-gate-succur)

U don't have to use pets as chanter. Or necro either. They r nice tho.
Last edited by magnetaress; 10-26-2022 at 04:29 PM..
Old 10-26-2022, 08:44 PM
Sarnak

Many classes don't really come into their own until the late teens or 20s, if not later. If you give up at level 4 or 6 you're not gonna get much insight into the real capabilities of a class.
Old 10-26-2022, 09:09 PM
Planar Protector

ya some classes need epics /mana robe /rend robe to really shine (wizard) etc too

priest donals bp...

pally dw helm or whateve it is with clicky heal

classes that fair well in garbo gear necro, ench

shm kinda likes having jbb/fungi/epic

drui is kinda epic clicky for being decent

rng is like epics its trash otherwise

warrior needs so many clickies to even not be near as good as a ranger ...

rogue is trash without epic cuz everyone on this server is a bluebie and they already farmed 10 years longer than u

shadowknight is pretty solid even without good gear ironically their epics/clickies make them ubar tho
Last edited by magnetaress; 10-26-2022 at 09:13 PM..
Old 10-26-2022, 09:22 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
shadowknight is pretty solid even without good gear ironically their epics/clickies make them ubar tho
I played a troll shadowknight back in '99 and the 40% experience penalty was so painful I can't imagine trying to play it again, even now without the hybrid penalty.
Old 10-26-2022, 09:41 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosiahLightwood [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I want to do everything (utility, group, buffing, soloability), but the one class that seems to do it all, Druid, just doesn't sit with me. I like the arcane caster theme, not nature.
Have you considered a shaman? Not an arcane caster, but not nature either. Fills the utility, group, buffing, solo ability roles well.
Old 10-26-2022, 10:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbrown [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I played a troll shadowknight back in '99 and the 40% experience penalty was so painful I can't imagine trying to play it again, even now without the hybrid penalty.
yeabutt once u pay for a powerlvl to 60 (in in game currency like platinum of course) ur done [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

actually it wasn't so bad to get lvl 20 as a SK ... and my troll SK at lvl 20 was a machine [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

higher than that and u defff feel the exp grind and groups will look at u and go no thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Have you considered a shaman? Not an arcane caster, but not nature either. Fills the utility, group, buffing, solo ability roles well.
this person sounds like they want really low APM (actions per minute)... sham kinda isn't that without macros anyway sorta and canni/sit macros are unreliable and not good in a grp where u may need to interupt it to heal

if OP is willing to group I recommend trudging it out with enchanter or cleric or druid those classes are generally desireable for ppl leveling and u will get 60 in no time and by the time ur 60 u can twink a billion alts with all kinda of fun junk gear and just lvl them into their 30's and u will have enough experience pet classes wont be horrible

in a grp ppl are so desperate for clarity on enchanter they dont care if u are bad and dont pull/charm/mez etc, as long as u haste and clarity once in a blue moon u gud
Last edited by magnetaress; 10-26-2022 at 10:24 PM..
Old 10-26-2022, 10:50 PM
Sarnak

Everyone gets the blues... you might not get to try everything when you eat at a buffet but as long as you ate the food you like to eat, you haven't really missed out... And remember you can have like 8 characters. If it makes you feel better, EQ gonna be a grind no matter what class or play style. I hope you find something that suits you!
Old 10-27-2022, 01:38 AM
Fire Giant

I agree with the comments that most classes don't start feeling unique until their 20sish and don't have the majority of their skills/critical spells until their 30s.

I feel like most of them are about identical 1-10.

I'd consider looking at what each does at 60 and deciding which looks most fun to you, then trying to get one into its 20s or so before really deciding.

Honestly I kind of hate most of the classes below 20 - such a slog!

As others have mentioned, sham seems like it may be a good fit.