Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2021, 11:19 PM
Fire Giant

Default P99 Open source

It would be cool if P99 open sourced their code and data to allow long standing issues to be resolved more effectively. As P99 was built on open source software it would be nice to give back to the community that built the emulator upon which the majority of functionality is based.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:57 AM
Banned

azxten you need to roll an ALT ASAP

devs have stated their intentions about the source and there's no pressuring them into it and p99 has a lot of life left

there's a lot of room for even cooler more classic servers like I was talking about in RnF with an 'entropy server' were players don't live forever and their items go away after awhile so it keeps the server fresh and moving along rather than getting top heavy there's a lot of ways I want to make that server more interesting and give players for example the option of starting at like lvl 45 but only have 2 weeks to live. And I want to make it super classic, just more classic stuff so like +3 agi katanas, +10 str mace somewere all with mostly within 1% of classic stats

maybe a few more things like rubi bps, like a banded tunic with 5hp regen etc stuff to just make the game more rich and offer more options

and mischief loot rules on some of it so you never know what is going to be in that goblins hoard
Old 11-16-2021, 10:58 AM
Planar Protector

P99 wasn't built open source... they have permission from the IP holder to use it...

a project that nilbog worked on with other people, prior to P99, was issued cease and desist orders from sony.
Old 11-16-2021, 12:00 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
P99 wasn't built open source... they have permission from the IP holder to use it...

a project that nilbog worked on with other people, prior to P99, was issued cease and desist orders from sony.
http://www.eqemulator.org/

P99 is built off EQEmu open source and is mainly polish and classic era refinement. P99 has had a ton of work put into it but it's built on the ton of work that others put into EQEmu. P99 is the Red Hat to Linux in a vague sense.

Quote:
devs have stated their intentions about the source and there's no pressuring them into it and p99 has a lot of life left
I'm not trying to pressure them into it I'm just saying it would be nice. At this point I'd rather play a personal server with friends and family where I can fix things myself that the devs are ignoring and opening things up this way would progress P99's stated goals faster.

Quote:
If only I could just get the source code I could figure out how to nerf enchanters for the devs!!
Well, I figured out how to change spell casting animations by reverse engineering the spells file and editing it in hex. My code is already part of P99 although Telin really put in the work after I showed how it could be done. I'd be happy to fix channeling, which may nerf Enchanters, if they would admit it's fucked up and they want it fixed but can't figure it out but that is just speculation because they won't comment on it.

That's beside the point though because obviously I could fix channeling myself if I wanted to I don't need open source to recreate the broken channeling here. It's likely base EQEmu code which is already open source.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:01 AM
Banned

ya gpl3 says they can keep it closed for their own personal uses which they allow us to log into
Old 11-16-2021, 11:11 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by azxten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It would be cool if P99 open sourced their code and data to allow long standing issues to be resolved more effectively. As P99 was built on open source software it would be nice to give back to the community that built the emulator upon which the majority of functionality is based.
If only I could just get the source code I could figure out how to nerf enchanters for the devs!!
Old 11-16-2021, 12:00 PM
Planar Protector

In many ways P99 is like open source software: anyone can contact the developers and offer to join the team. Just like in real life, the maintainers can accept their help or not.

However, the critical difference between normal OSS and P99 is that p99 has to remain closed source to keep the secrets ... secret. Once you join the dev team, you don't get to play anymore.

If P99 was true OSS that wouldn't be possible. I think giving up the ability to fork in exchange for the ability to keep game secrets secret is a fair trade-off.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 11-16-2021, 12:21 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think giving up the ability to fork in exchange for the ability to keep game secrets secret is a fair trade-off.
I think the secrets are out of the bag at this point. Is there a single piece of content or mechanic on P99 which isn't already pretty much completely understood from a gameplay perspective? There is a bug report on Quillmane on this topic and at least the devs acknowledged they're working on changing that mechanic. What secrets are being protected from a gameplay point of view?

Quote:
not even related to eq, could be used for many other things.
lol.. ok.. EQEmu not even related to EQ... could be used for many other things... I guess.
Old 11-16-2021, 04:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by azxten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think the secrets are out of the bag at this point. Is there a single piece of content or mechanic on P99 which isn't already pretty much completely understood from a gameplay perspective? There is a bug report on Quillmane on this topic and at least the devs acknowledged they're working on changing that mechanic. What secrets are being protected from a gameplay point of view?
Every detail of every raid mob, for starters?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 11-16-2021, 10:44 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Every detail of every raid mob, for starters?
I don't think raid mob details matter much given they're all wiped the moment they spawn. The risk is this might happen slightly faster or with fewer people than it already does? The mystery is gone.

In any case I think I'm just going to go make a game myself not even EQ related. I wanted to play P99 again with better classic mechanics but staff isn't interested in having a conversation. Just because modern games suck doesn't mean I can't make a game I personally enjoy and making it based on EQ in any sense would just be limiting.

I hope in the end P99 is open sourced because I think it's pretty obvious this won't last another 10 years. Not after the way Green played out and not when considering the legal position of P99. I'd hate to see classic EQ disappear along with the player base that will inevitably dwindle. If Rogean and Nilbog disappeared tomorrow what would happen to P99? What if they're served with a court order due to change in ownership of the IP holder? I guarantee you they won't be open sourcing anything if that happens and overnight everything will be gone.

I'm pretty doubtful there is anyone else in the world who has full access to everything needed to recreate it even considering some devs likely have large pieces. Maybe I'm wrong and things are more secure or others have all the keys but if there are 2 people holding the keys to put together the project it's pretty much guaranteed it's fucked.

Clock is ticking on Daybreak in my opinion. Enad Global 7 buys Daybreak a little under a year ago. That shit isn't going to stop. EverQuest is a powerful brand and it may eventually end up with an owner who simply tells their lawyer this little project needs to stop and then poof. Bye bye EVERYTHING that has been worked on here by everyone. P99 if it continues to improve and grow, which I don't really think it will by a large degree due to limitations on the project, will become a victim of its' own success once it is noticed by the IP holder. If it doesn't continue to improve and grow, which is likely given the stale nature of a cyclical "Green" launch with boxed in parameters due to client limitations which seems to be the case, will simply fade into irrelevance and the motivation will disappear for those involved in making improvements.

If it was open sourced before then though? Yeah, it will never die...

I'm a realist what can I say. Whatever. I think it's a bad idea to wait for the that letter or the boredom of the players to kill it either way and then there is no future for people wanting to spin up a private server for nostalgia.
Last edited by azxten; 11-16-2021 at 10:47 PM..
Closed Thread