Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2021, 10:26 PM
Banned

p99 isn't classic, seek help OP
Old 12-04-2021, 10:49 PM
Planar Protector

This is pretty useful news, don't see why it should be in the rants forum. P99's channeling has been 'placeholder' for so long I imagine a lot of folks have forgotten what the original game was like for fresh casters.

Where'd you source the new values from?

Danth
Old 12-04-2021, 11:10 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is pretty useful news, don't see why it should be in the rants forum. P99's channeling has been 'placeholder' for so long I imagine a lot of folks have forgotten what the original game was like for fresh casters.

Where'd you source the new values from?

Danth
The new values used are from a decompile of the EQ Mac client done by an EQEmu dev and then provided to TAKP then sent to Dolalin and then to me. The fit between that decompiled methodology and Resere (EQ Lead Dev) posts is almost exactly the same.

I'm just posting it here to flame cd288 or whatever his name is. Guy has haunted me anywhere I post trying to discredit the idea that Enchanters should be nerfed. There is a large list of provably unclassic Enchanter things that should be nerfed but I set those aside to focus on channeling as I feel it will be the biggest nerf to Enchanter and beyond and therefore the most important.
Old 12-04-2021, 11:21 PM
Planar Protector

Fairly impressive team effort there, thanks for the work. I remember the pain of trying to cast spells at low levels in the original game. It'll be interesting to see this in action assuming the P99 admins decide to utilize it. Even remembering "how it was" I expect I'll need a bit of time to adjust after 12 years of P1999.

Danth
Old 12-04-2021, 11:53 PM
Aviak

Idk so enchanter is going to be gimped and isnt going to be fun anymore. Why would anyone want to level a gimped class? Who's going to fill in the void that the now-useless enchanter will leave behind?
Old 12-05-2021, 12:04 AM
Orc

I laud the premise of increased difficulty because that was one of my most cherished (and rage driven) memories of classic EQ. On p99 though where virtually nothing is classic, caster channeling capability isn't exactly OP when you look at elephants in the room like melee. I don't see how nerfing casters pre-Luclin when they _finally_ get some love is the most appropriate course. I'm not necessarily saying anything should be nerfed (except mages and their easy af epic) but casters aren't really it. Yes, I get it, insert enc OP af meme, I've got one of those, too. If you want more difficulty, why not just make the mobs an order of magnitude more unclassically difficult than they already are? Maybe some sort of blood moon event where mobs will just utterly rek you.
Old 12-05-2021, 12:12 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by slard271 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I laud the premise of increased difficulty because that was one of my most cherished (and rage driven) memories of classic EQ. On p99 though where virtually nothing is classic, caster channeling capability isn't exactly OP when you look at elephants in the room like melee. I don't see how nerfing casters pre-Luclin when they _finally_ get some love is the most appropriate course. I'm not necessarily saying anything should be nerfed (except mages and their easy af epic) but casters aren't really it. Yes, I get it, insert enc OP af meme, I've got one of those, too. If you want more difficulty, why not just make the mobs an order of magnitude more unclassically difficult than they already are? Maybe some sort of blood moon event where mobs will just utterly rek you.
Because that wouldn't be classic. My personal philosophy is that the reason a lot of things are not classic and being struggled with, like raiding, is because of a lack of effort to fix missing classic mechanics like channeling.

I'm pretty sure evidence exists that item recharging isn't supposed to work like it does here. I saw it in a thread before but the bug thread is just ignored and then people wonder why we have to nerf items for raiding or whatever. Too many overpowered non-classic mechanics are being ignored and instead we're introducing non-classic mechanics intentionally to try to account for the players being too powerful.
Old 12-05-2021, 12:13 AM
Fire Giant

In other words make the game harder for the player in a classic sense and then the justification exists to make mobs more like classic as well. No one is going to accept even easier mobs, raids, etc if players are left as unclassically overpowered as they currently are.
Old 12-05-2021, 12:31 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Theoretically, an enchanter can exclusively use the animation pet to kill greens and blues with slow probably all the way to lev 55+ (not sure how the last rank of pet fares because I don't have it, but the 49 pet can still kill blues with slow on). And that would remain a zero risk method (maybe pathers but all you need to do is mez + calm them before they engage, problem solved). I think even charm solo'ing singles outside would remain a very low or no risk method to solo from 1 to max level for chanters
I do quite fine with an animation pet, have rune up, let it hit me once while I cast fear, and nuke and dot. At high levels. Also have j boots incase resists cause a thing.

And I solo.

Just because "everyone says you must charm" doesn't mean you have to charm.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by azxten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In other words make the game harder for the player in a classic sense and then the justification exists to make mobs more like classic as well. No one is going to accept even easier mobs, raids, etc if players are left as unclassically overpowered as they currently are.
Next you can fix sleepers tomb since Nilbog continues to ignore the in era evidence that it's wildly not classic.
Closed Thread