Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 10-18-2012, 01:27 PM
Kobold

Default No sound either in EQ or other programs--pick one

New computer. Seems that I often have to pick between having sound in EQ or having sound in other programs (vent/web browser). Closing and restarting one or more involved programs will eventually produce sound in all programs, but it takes a lot of restarts.

Sound box is checked in the options menu for EQ. I've searched both P99 and google for someone reporting the same, but alas, I have come up dry. Any ideas?
Old 10-18-2012, 02:56 PM
Planar Protector

This is probably external to EQ (an OS issue). What operating system are you using? What output device are you using (sound through GPU via HDMI, 2.5mm jack, dedicated sound card, etc.)?

I know I had some issues with Wine in Linux which would output through Alsa and wouldn't multi-sample (so no youtube while gaming via wine). But I got that issue sorted out.

Basically, the issue is all of the different sources are trying to hog your speakers, and you need the drivers set up in such a way that they all get along. In windows, this isn't often an issue, but it still creeps up in other operating systems, especially when running a compatibility layer.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:21 PM
Kobold

Windows 7 on a laptop. Running on the built in speakers/soundcard. It's been suggested that the audio mixer may be self muting on applications. This is something I'll check the next time there's an issue. If it's not that, then I'm going back to the assumption that it's an issue with the driver and a particular update to that driver would fix it.