Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 11:44 AM
Sarnak

pop killed travel classes and made alot to trivial. imo a weapon a class can get shouldnt be better then their own epic weapon. It is called an epic for a reason
Old 01-29-2016, 11:47 AM
Planar Protector

Ff14 has that where you need to continually grind out new epic levels. It's awful. Killing travel also always cracks me up. I'm bound in PoM. It's a 2 minute run to any Velious raid in game.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:55 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
pop killed travel classes and made alot to trivial. imo a weapon a class can get shouldnt be better then their own epic weapon. It is called an epic for a reason
PoP didn't kill travel classes. Unless you enjoy running from GD -> EW -> Kael -> WL -> SS -> CS -> SG -> WW? Cause the only PoK port to Velious is GD.

What it did was make it easier to get to main towns so that players could easily group together and do stuff. You know, in a game about grouping together and doing stuff. But porting classes still had demand.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well all epics are obsolete in Velious except one... if we are talking just stats/ratio...

Shaman/Druid get better in Sprinkler of Spirits
Clerics get Blackstar
Mage/Ench/Wiz get Staff of Morning Dew
Necro get Zlandicar Heart
Warriors can get SoD, Willsapper, Trident of Deep Sea
Paladins/SKs can get any of like 10 NToV weapons
Rangers/Rogues/Monks can get like 2-3 NToV Weapons, 1 each from Vulak, 1 each from Tunare

That leaves... Bards. Which is irreplaceable for singing mod until PoP.

The clickies for the casters retain value for all of them, but they get bagged. The proc from ranger retains value for utility things...

And yes, lol at travel. Half the people on this server refuse to run from Iceclad to Cobalt Scar and just beg for a Druid or wizard port anyways. Begging someone else to skip travel rather than just skipping it with some zone portals only has one difference, you enjoy inconveniencing someone else's play time to allow you to skip the travel you so desperately want to cling onto. Regardless, a huge benefit of port classes isn't getting from A to B. It's getting the hell out of the bottom of Sebilis, or Howling Stonea, or ToV, or DN, or Velketor.

I know tons of people who don't even know how to run from OT hammer hill to Sebilis, they just sit in Howling Stones or Droga, stamping their feet waiting 15 minutes for an evac to EJ.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:30 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And yes, lol at travel. Half the people on this server refuse to run from Iceclad to Cobalt Scar and just beg for a Druid or wizard port anyways. Begging someone else to skip travel rather than just skipping it with some zone portals only has one difference, you enjoy inconveniencing someone else's play time to allow you to skip the travel you so desperately want to cling onto. Regardless, a huge benefit of port classes isn't getting from A to B. It's getting the hell out of the bottom of Sebilis, or Howling Stonea, or ToV, or DN, or Velketor.

I know tons of people who don't even know how to run from OT hammer hill to Sebilis, they just sit in Howling Stones or Droga, stamping their feet waiting 15 minutes for an evac to EJ.
Maybe you have spent too much time at max level or something. There is are a lot of us that enjoy porting and meeting new people, so no its not just an annoyance. It also gives new people just starting out a good start at making some plat . A large part of the game is based around it the time consumed by travel and needing others to help with that. Removing that destroys one of the pillars of classic EQ.
Last edited by coldslaw; 01-29-2016 at 01:34 PM..
Old 01-29-2016, 01:40 PM
Planar Protector

Unsolicited port requests are absolutely an annoyance, or not, depending on how I'm feeling that day.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:27 PM
Kobold

I think Luclin will always be seen as the beginning of the end for a lot of us that were around back then. It wasn't all bad, and I do have -some- fond memories of stuff that dropped back then. Some of the raid content, Vex Thal for instance, was really top notch.

But it certainly drained a lot of the old zones dry of population, because leveling on the moon was just that much better than leveling on Norrath. Bazaar was... well it was nice being able to just plug an item into the search bar and go buy the best price, but it also killed negotiations and barter by a bloody ton. And you know, horses. Casters on horses everywhere as far as the eye could see. I won't touch the graphics, everyone has their own opinion on which set is better.

Not all bad, not all good. But the addition of a new race and class along with a brand new direction for game/class mechanics (AAs/Horses/Nexus/Etc) it was certainly the first major shift away from the classic vibe that the entire Trilogy had followed.

As for PoP, eh... Books killed it even more for me. With Luclin, people usually waited for the early teens to hit up the spires to the Nexus and level up there. With books, a lot of non-optimized starting zones were even more vacated than they ever were. True, if you started in a zone you didn't like, it was as simple as a two zone hop through books to get to one you wanted without having to flag down a druid/wizzy and get someone to bind you.

On the upside, I really loved a lot of the Planes themselves. And the process of getting your guild through all the keys for the zones was enjoyable back then, especially since I loved my guild.

All that being said, Trilogy is still my favourite timeframe for EQ (Being someone that still plays on Live from time to time) and I have zero issues not having this server go past Velious. Unless, of course, this one hit Luclin as they released a brand new p99 server with proper classic pacing that would eventually lock at Velious like others have mentioned in the thread. Because then I'd simply play on both [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-30-2016, 06:48 AM
Banned

Someone should start a prog server that ends at POP with an expansion every year... I'd pay for that haha. But really. Its been fun nostalgia wise, but once you hit 50s you either have to raid hardcore or gear up your alts.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:07 AM
Planar Protector

Bring in PoP raiding zones (the planes)....but don't give us any AA's or anything else from PoP.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:20 PM
Decaying Skeleton

As much as I enjoyed things about some of the later expansions, I really hope they don't go any further either. I liked Bazaar...
Closed Thread