Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 12:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokesan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
yikes maerilith. bad posts. gotta agree with this guy:
lewl

anyway it appears bigj is now mad at me and h8s me for life, seems i struck a cord and he's stalking my threads trying to say mean things about my accomplishments [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-05-2016, 12:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maerilith [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
lewl

anyway it appears bigj is now mad at me and h8s me for life, seems i struck a cord and he's stalking my threads trying to say mean things about my accomplishments [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
oops maybe that the wrong pronoun, sorry if so bigj, just not sure which one u want you talk about being a guy a lot, so'k in my book
Old 03-05-2016, 09:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
EAT
MOVE
LIVE
LEARN

EAT MOVE LIVE LEARN

HEALTH & NUTRITION NEWS / LEARN / WEIGHT LOSS / MARCH 4, 2016
2 Science-Backed Strategies to Avoid Long-Term Weight Gain
8K+Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)8K+Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)57Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)57Click to print (Opens in new window)

With weight gain, slow and steady is the common pace—we often look back, wondering: “How did I get to this weight?” Long-term weight gain typically happens at a miniscule 1-2 pounds per year, which can snowball into something substantial as we age. Fad diets lure us with the promise of rapid weight loss, but researchers are looking at it from a different angle: Can changing what we eat stop long-term steady weight gain?

What the Science Says

Scientists from the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy did a study using data collected from 120,784 healthy, non-obese, middle-age participants in three well-established cohorts: Nurses’ Health Study, Nurses’ Health Study II, Health Professionals’ Follow-up Study. Data was collected at every four-year period for 16 to 24 years.

Researchers were interested in how participants’ diet quality affected their trend in weight gain. Without altering anyone’s food intake, the researchers looked at what participants consumed, with a focus on protein and the glycemic load (GL)—two measures of diet quality. Then, they examined how changes in participants’ weight corresponded to diet quality. Why?

High-protein foods (think meats, dairy, nuts, beans) are thought to help with weight loss because of their ability to promote satiety, spare lean muscle mass, and help offset the slow in metabolism. GL was used because it reveals both carbohydrate quality and quantity. The more popular “glycemic index” (GI) is used to assess how a food will increase your blood sugar, but this doesn’t account for the amount of the food that you eat. GL accounts for both the food’s GI and portion eaten. High GL foods (think refined carbs) are thought to make weight gain more likely because they make your blood sugar rise rapidly—leading to insulin release, which favors fat storage.

Weighty Findings

Once the data was collected, the researchers could then summarize “associations,” also known as data trends, between certain types of food and weight gain or loss. Here are some of their weightier findings:

Not all protein foods are created equal. Certain protein foods appeared to be better than others when it comes to preventing weight gain. Nuts, peanut butter, fish, yogurt and low-fat cheese were associated with weight loss while red meat and processed meat were associated with weight gain.
Eggs and cheese aren’t necessarily diet-busters. These foods were only associated with weight gain if the diet’s glycemic load was also high.
High glycemic load diets were worse for weight loss. Foods with a high glycemic load (think white bread, potatoes, soda) were associated with weight gain. A diet with a higher GL ranking is positively associated with weight gain. In fact, a 50-unit increase in daily glycemic load (about two bagels) resulted in a 1-pound weight gain every 4 years.
The type of protein consumed worked in combination with GL to affect weight. For example, someone who eats a high glycemic load diet plus a lot of red/processed meat would gain more weight than if he ate a low glycemic load diet with the same amount of red/processed meat.
Keep in mind that the results of this study are “associations” meant to show relationships between diet quality and weight gain or loss. This does not confirm that particular diet types cause weight gain or loss. Nonetheless, these relationships are still important, given that we’re looking at a large group of participants over the course of decades.

What’s the Takeaway?

This study confirms that the quality of your diet matters for keeping your weight in check over a long period of time. A balanced diet rich in whole grains, fruits and vegetables will help you maintain a low glycemic load. Choosing lean protein sources like chicken, fish, nut butter and low-fat cheese will reduce the amount of fat—particularly saturated fat—in your diet. Both glycemic load and protein type are indicators of your diet quality, and will affect your weight.

It’s apparent that a calorie is not a calorie in this case, so do calories still count when it comes to weight loss? The answer is a resounding Yes! Even though the study focused on diet quality, this is just one factor out of many that affect our weight. To be successful at maintaining a healthy weight, both the number of calories consumed and the quality of those calories matters.

Tags: glycemic load long-term weight gain protein for weight loss weight loss
Trinh Le
Trinh Le, MPH, RD
Trinh Le is a registered dietitian for MyFitnessPal. She holds her master’s in public health, nutrition from the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. Trinh is a proponent of balancing food and exercise for a healthy lifestyle. She enjoys hiking, strength training, yoga, running and fidgeting.

Previous Post
Mini Flatbread Pizzas--Under 150 Calories!

RELATED ARTICLES
8 Ways to Feel Fuller on Less Calories8 Ways to Feel Fuller on Less Calories
If you’ve tracked calories for any amount of time, you’ve noticed how quickly they can add up. Logging...

11 / FEBRUARY 25, 2016
7 Tips to Conquer a Weight-Loss Plateau with MyFitnessPal7 Tips to Conquer a Weight-Loss Plateau with MyFitnessPal
Let’s get one thing straight about weight loss: It is not a destination but a journey. A lifelong journey....

13 / FEBRUARY 19, 2016
9 Signs of Progress That Aren’t a Number on the Scale9 Signs of Progress That Aren’t a Number on the Scale
Think about what triggered your weight-loss journey. It could have been anything from being able to squeeze...

0 / FEBRUARY 15, 2016

CATEGORIES

Food RecallsHealth & Nutrition NewsMyFitnessPal TipsMyFitnessPal TrendsMyFitnessPal UpdatesPartnerships
POPULAR POSTS

How to Find an Accountabilibuddy
OCT 27, 2015
The 28-Day Squat Challenge You'll Want to Start Now!
JAN 30, 2015
The Problem with Cheat Days
APR 19, 2015

1,287,427fansLIKE142,580followersFOLLOW
ARCHIVES

March 2016February 2016January 2016December 2015November 2015October 2015September 2015August 2015July 2015June 2015May 2015April 2015March 2015February 2015January 2015December 2014November 2014October 2014September 2014August 2014July 2014June 2014May 2014April 2014March 2014February 2014January 2014December 2013November 2013October 2013September 2013August 2013July 2013June 2013

Hello Healthy is the healthy-living blog of MyFitnessPal. We’re on a mission to make your journey to a healthier life easier, more fun, and delicious. Say it with us: “Hello, Healthy!”

MyFitnessPal is the world’s largest health and fitness community. Over 65 million users worldwide use our free nutrition and activity tracking tools to build healthy habits, make healthy choices and support each other’s journeys.

Join the MyFitnessPal community online or on your iPhone or Android phone today!

MyFitnessPal
Blog
Shop
Terms
Privacy
Contact Us
API
Jobs
Feedback
Brands
Community Guidelines

COPYRIGHT 2005-2014 MYFITNESSPAL, INC
Old 03-05-2016, 09:19 AM
Banned

2 Science-Backed Strategies to Avoid Long-Term Weight Gain - Hello HealthyHello Healthy http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/2-scien...m-weight-gain/
Old 03-05-2016, 02:36 PM
Banned

Left over fajitas and two cups of coffee, 500 cals for breakfast, still got 700 2 go for the rest of the day if i don't get up off the couch

Poor quality proteins though [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-05-2016, 02:37 PM
Banned

Written by an idiot too.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:30 PM
Planar Protector

Must get a 3rd gym session for the week in tomorrow...going to go early in the day rather than after work to keep my body guessing. Always good to keep your body in a state of crisis apparently [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-05-2016, 08:39 PM
Banned

just got done with a fast 3.7km walk, 225 calories 12.04/km
Old 03-05-2016, 09:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maerilith [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
lewl

butt i love you
Old 03-05-2016, 09:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Japan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
butt i love you
It's OK I figured it out...

this lil strumpet will be 207.7 lbs in 5 weeks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread