Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 01:38 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A lot of the power of DoTs is efficiency. Knowing when they are about to wear off or when to reapply other Debuffs such as fear, root or snare, makes them even more efficiency because you know precisely when to cast those Debuffs to optimize the amount of time they’re active each cast.

Removing the ability to see each DoT tick you can instead think of as a way to balance out those abilities. If you want to be efficient with them you need to get another system of keeping track of the time they’ve been on like mob HP or some other timer. Or you can accept a lower level of efficiency and root/fear/snare/reapply DoTs more often and overwrite these Debuff prior to them wearing off due to this new found lack of information.
They're already balanced for their efficiency by delivering their damage over a longer period of time, that's the whole point.

It's hard to argue against a change that took 3 expansions post velious to go live though.

Edit: What I'm getting at is, did the original designers balance the DoTs around anything other than their DPM and DPS. I'd be surprised.
Last edited by mycoolrausch; 10-25-2019 at 01:45 PM..
Old 10-25-2019, 01:48 PM
Kobold

I like this change. Besides being classic, it is nice that everything isn't easily quantified (like DoT damage). Makes things more mysterious hehe
Old 10-25-2019, 03:02 PM
Large Bat

The only problem with a lot of these changes is that even people that enjoy classic have gotten used to things being a certain way for years. To take them away after playing and enjoying them for so long (even if not totally classic) feels like a serious nerf. And on many classes/races, the changes can totally make a huge difference in whether that particular class/race is enjoyable. As someone pointed out above, someone who mains a necro and is 55+ and leveled a certain way, to yank the rug out from under them now seems a bit heavy handed. Leave the "hardcore" classic stuff for green. People can't complain about stuff if they've leveled with it from beginning.
Old 10-25-2019, 03:14 PM
Kobold

Agree to disagree

I could see your point for blue, but for green this makes total sense. Plus, we are all starting new again to get as classic as we can (per the admin's judgements) on green. We'll probably not ever agree on whether this is a "good" change or not, but I think it at least makes more sense for green than blue.

On blue, I think it probably is a little iffy considering the other QoL improvements (like no real night blindness).
Old 10-25-2019, 04:53 PM
Sarnak

As a necro, I found the messages useful when I over-aggroed the mob and I'm trying to let my pet regain aggro. I don't want to back up during the tick since that would make the tick do 2/3 the damage. It was just useful for timing when I try to let the pet re-establish aggro.

I can live without it, I played my whole first EQ necro life without seeing the numbers. I have to say it was nice seeing the numbers though.

Zipps - 51 HLF Druid <Castle>
Lykosor - 49 DE Necro <Castle>
Aspom - 12 HEF Ranger <Castle>
Slyng - 31 HEF Bard <Castle>
Flecrad - 21 DE Enchanter <Castle>
Lykos - 43 HIE Mage <Castle>
Ribkage - 17 GNM Boneknight <Castle>
Old 10-25-2019, 05:04 PM
Sarnak

I think this will lead more DoT-users to download and use GINA? (I've never used it before) Which seems less classic as a whole but again I'm not familiar with the program.

As a guy that leveled a necro up to 56 here on Blue with the DoT messages, I can confirm that they will be missed!
Old 10-25-2019, 05:08 PM
Sarnak

I use Gina but the only thing I track is my self-shields (currently Lesser Shielding).

I have an irrational hatred for having it drop before I can refresh it. If I see it start flashing and immediately drop and scribe the spell then I can get it refreshed in time, otherwise it'll drop. At this level it's only like 30 hp but for some reason it really irritates me!

Everything else dies before my dots run out anyways...

I guess it'd be useful for fear as that lasts exactly 3 ticks and it's short enough duration to notice.

Zipps - 51 HLF Druid <Castle>
Lykosor - 49 DE Necro <Castle>
Aspom - 12 HEF Ranger <Castle>
Slyng - 31 HEF Bard <Castle>
Flecrad - 21 DE Enchanter <Castle>
Lykos - 43 HIE Mage <Castle>
Ribkage - 17 GNM Boneknight <Castle>
Old 10-25-2019, 05:15 PM
Banned

just install GINA for all your feature re-implementation needs
Old 10-25-2019, 08:36 PM
Fire Giant

I'm using an older computer for EQ so GINA doesn't work for me so buying a new computer should fix this problem.

I use a Druid and the DoT tick information informed me when DoTs where coming to an end by leaning how to count how long they lasted when I was soloing mobs. Majority of the the time I would root/rot and my attacks would be the Dots from my epic, Winged Death, Breat of Ro and Drones of Doom.

I can see the DoT tick information being removed for Green server because it's a brand new start but the Blue server has enough changes already that something this small wouldn't matter.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:15 PM
Kobold

I'm wondering, now that we have Green as the Official Classic Server, what is the purpose of forcing Blue to conform to the religion of Classic? Losing this particular QOL feature for the sake of staying true to Classic, seems unnecessary to me now that we at last have Green.
Closed Thread