Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 03:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiax [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Probably shaman, crappy heals, mobs die too fast to slow, no jbb
Sounds like you play on Blue only
Old 02-19-2020, 10:50 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubyen13 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You are spot on! even a 40% penalty class is usually only equivalent of 1-2 levels. 95% of players still think the "penalty" actually affects ur character by taking away X% of exp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I mean, technically it does. Regardless of how it works, the result is the same. The penalty is shared across the group so it indirectly takes away your EXP.
Its significant and I play a SK so understand the hate. The wiki has a great write up on it.

And the worst class is still Paladin.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:00 AM
Kobold

Velious is Classic.

You mean vanilla? The worst class in vanilla is all of them. The game gets good in Kunark and beyond.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:11 PM
Banned

can't beat a pally in a group imo
Old 02-19-2020, 03:26 PM
Banned

Smile

Cleric

Rezzes ruin the spergouts and ragequit dialogues [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-19-2020, 03:48 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedarksun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd wager that each hybrid class that is scoffed at makes it into a group more times than not. I never group (by choice), and I play hybrids. I prefer to spend my time leveling than knowing a group of whiners are going to constantly run me down about an experience penalty I have no control over.
You do have control over it though, it's the group that doesn't. You had the choice of class, and you chose to play a hybrid. It's wrong to expect a group to take you in and not have that at least as a consideration.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:53 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiax [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Probably shaman, crappy heals, mobs die too fast to slow, no jbb
Most Shamans will never get a JBB, and their healing is usually more than adequate if they can effectively canni dance + regen. Mobs getting slowed is definitely worthwhile on raids, and on a lot of 40+ mobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycoolrausch [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Velious is Classic.

You mean vanilla? The worst class in vanilla is all of them. The game gets good in Kunark and beyond.
On P99, when people refer to "Classic," they are generally referring to the game pre-Kunark/Velious.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:27 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubyen13 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You are spot on! even a 40% penalty class is usually only equivalent of 1-2 levels. 95% of players still think the "penalty" actually affects ur character by taking away X% of exp.
A higher level charecter steals way more xp from the group than an average level hybrid. Plus, I'm pretty sure the calc for group distro is level based and then the hybrids take their xp cut after the group is given their xp. so yes, if you have even a rogue 4 levels higher than everyone else in group they will steal more xp from the group than a hybrid of equal level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smellybuttface [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
-Ranger tops the list. 40% exp penalty, low utility in a group beyond snare, lowest damage out of the pure DPS classes. People will argue “but a Ranger can tank if none of the other 3 are available! They have more sustained DPS than a Wizard!”
penalty doesnt matter as much as you think, see above.
snare,levi,invis,root,harmony, and the many other lower level but still useful spells that can stack in some groups.

low damage? subjective, ranger with cof would do more damage than most others that have lesser haste/gear. the idea that if its not meta its not worth it permeates this server.

Ranger can tank very well in classic up to 40-45 with minimal gear and do fine. higher tier mobs are reserved for tanks' duh.

There are no bad classes, only bad players and meta fags
Old 02-19-2020, 04:37 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenderizer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A higher level charecter steals way more xp from the group than an average level hybrid. Plus, I'm pretty sure the calc for group distro is level based and then the hybrids take their xp cut after the group is given their xp. so yes, if you have even a rogue 4 levels higher than everyone else in group they will steal more xp from the group than a hybrid of equal level.

snare,levi,invis,root,harmony, and the many other lower level but still useful spells that can stack in some groups.

low damage? subjective, ranger with cof would do more damage than most others that have lesser haste/gear. the idea that if its not meta its not worth it permeates this server.

Ranger can tank very well in classic up to 40-45 with minimal gear and do fine. higher tier mobs are reserved for tanks' duh.

This guy gets it!! +100 points

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-19-2020, 04:39 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenderizer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Haven’t ever cared about meta, only my time. I mained a Ranger back in the live EQ days, so I don’t think they’re a bad class at all, but in Classic they are very underwhelming given their penalty and middle of the road DPS. Of course if they have a CoF and all BiS they’d be doing better than 50% of DPS on the server, but I’m assuming equal geared/equal level characters.

Same reason I’m skittish about the penalty is also why I wouldn’t take someone 4 levels higher than the group generally. If I’m group leader, I’m not going to make a choice that hurts the group in a benefit/burden sense. It’s unfair of me to put that on the group.

Their exp penalty is assessed on the group before experience is divvied out to everyone, not after. Wiki explains it much better than I can. It’s definitely noticeable though, especially with multiple hybrids in a group. If people are so butthurt about groups not taking the exp penalty, then they can either play a different class, solo, or only play with friends/guild mates and not a bunch of rando’s. Not saying I wouldn’t not ever take a hybrid, but given the choice between a DPS with a penalty and one without, I’ll take the one without.
Closed Thread