Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 05:49 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bum3 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sure. You can read it how you want without putting any thought into it. But think about it. How hard was it to charm mobs when barely anyone had the internet to control it? If charm broke on 1, let alone multiple, during a packet spike, the raid wiped. I'm sure you feel differently, but most of yours' are shit posts too. At least mine is trying to open discussion on how things really were in classic. But thanks for enlightening us with your shit post on my shit post. Here's hoping to more shit posts linked to mine!
Oof, sorry I called your post a shit post. Didn't anticipate the vitriol/anger. I apologize.

Anywho, nah, charming wasn't that bad. Even if the dreaded disconnect happened, the pet just needed to be rooted or mezzed or tanked or whatever. People here are acting like 56k was this nigh unstable internet barely able to send emails let alone play Everquest, but it wasn't that bad (at least 200k EQ players didn't seem to think so).
Old 11-18-2019, 05:53 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People here are acting like 56k was this nigh unstable internet barely able to send emails let alone play Everquest, but it wasn't that bad (at least 200k EQ players didn't seem to think so).
The problem with dial-up internet was that as soon as someone in your house picked up the phone it disconnected, which would certainly make charming a much bigger liability
Old 11-18-2019, 05:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People here are acting like 56k was this nigh unstable internet barely able to send emails let alone play Everquest, but it wasn't that bad (at least 200k EQ players didn't seem to think so).
In parts of the world people's ping to the server is nearly 300. So bard kiting is out, but everything else (surprise surprise) feels fine.
Old 11-18-2019, 05:57 PM
Decaying Skeleton

I've read many a post here... but my experience on ECI back in 2000 was that there were hardly any enchanters that played. They were a rare class because they were considered support and not powerful enough to solo. I started one because I liked to group, and never once did anyone ask me to charm... they just wanted CC and haste/clarity.

When I came to blue in 2015, I was shocked at how many chanters were always on, then I read about how most were soloers due to charm. I'm not saying the mechanics were different back on live, but the perception was for sure.
Old 11-18-2019, 05:59 PM
Fire Giant

Exclamation Charm Duration by EQ RPG PHB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bum3 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I will leave a shit post for you because you are awesome. I love you.
Thank you , but I need to keep going.

To add something constructive to this thread as further fuel to this bonfire of the vanities that this thread has become I have taken the duty to dutifully do a small crop job by using as reference the next text:

Everquest Players Handbook -
Sword and SorceryStudio
White Wolf Publishing Inc -
Reference Number WW16500 -
9781588461254 - 52995
1-58846-125-4
Section: Book 2: Songs and Spells
Page: 237
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

In here you can clearly see the intended duration type of the Charm Spell as extracted and interpreted by the designing team of the Everquest RPG Tabletop Game based 100% off the Actual PC Game.

In there you can see clearly the Original, Extended and Failed Save Duration. the effects thereof if it and how the mechanic of the actual save versus resists plays.

From this many conclusions and extrapolations of the original game can be taken into account, please feel free to use this obscure source as you wish.

My duty is now discharged, and I must now go back to whisper to others of their own mortality as they enter Rome, as virtual as it may be, but not for that, but because of it, no less real.

Much love to everybody from the Isthmus, real genuine love

Super hug to everybody. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
----------------------------------
[center]
Old 11-18-2019, 06:01 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Anywho, nah, charming wasn't that bad. Even if the dreaded disconnect happened, the pet just needed to be rooted or mezzed or tanked or whatever. People here are acting like 56k was this nigh unstable internet barely able to send emails let alone play Everquest, but it wasn't that bad (at least 200k EQ players didn't seem to think so).
Going LD everytime the phone rings was a huge problem. And mezzing/rooting/tanking was much more difficult with people constantly breaking mez, attacking rooted mobs and no discord to even let people know what's going on.

People were discriminatory to any pet class period because pets liked to get lost and train groups. In general the thought process was 'why complicate things and die when you don't have to'
Old 11-18-2019, 06:19 PM
Orc

Technology made the class more op. I knew a really good enchanter on povar that had his own dedicated phone line just for eq, and a high end pc.

https://web.archive.org/web/20000621...enc_ruri.shtml

Quote:
In closing...

The enchanter may be looked upon as weak, as they are in certain areas. Their damage output is very low, and their pets are weak. But proper manipulation of their spells will cause the enchanter to outperform any other class, it's just a matter of using the correct spell [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-18-2019, 06:25 PM
Kobold

Charm is working as intended, frostbacks guide is definitive proof. A 5 min charm is a good charm. With tash. He doesn’t even mention malo or -MR items, or torches.
Last edited by r34m; 11-18-2019 at 06:29 PM..
Old 11-18-2019, 06:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It doesn't matter whether Enchanters had better or worse charm resist rates on live: one class being able to burn through the game's content vastly better than any other class is just as much an "implicit exploit", fully worthy of fixing, if not more than many of the other explicit exploits he's fixed.

Increasing charm resists would ABSOLUTELY make Green/Teal feel more classic, because NO ONE remembers Enchanters being like this. But again, this likely isn't just about "classic feelings": it seems likely that the class has benefited for far too long here from having more obscure mechanics, and even if that's corrected with higher resits, it likely still would be the most powerful class in every single era of classic EverQuest!
Eh you lost me when you started saying this stuff. It's not an implicit exploit. For all we know, the Charm rates could be accurate versus live. We literally have no evidence except for people thinking they remember something being different 20 years ago and/or people essentially assuming it was different simply because people hadn't min/maxed the heck out of the strategy at that point.

And making such a massive change for a "classic experience" simply because people didn't know the strategies back then would kind of be a dumb decision; not only because it's simply a dumb rationale, but also because it would then open up a HUGE can of worms to say we need to start nerfing all kinds of other things because people have perfected knowledge and strategy and therefore it's not reflective of classic. And then, at that point, after all those changes it no longer becomes classic Everquest.
Old 11-18-2019, 06:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostback [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Technology made the class more op. I knew a really good enchanter on povar that had his own dedicated phone line just for eq, and a high end pc.

https://web.archive.org/web/20000621...enc_ruri.shtml
Uh, from that same post:

Quote:
I highly suggest against using Charm to solo. Although Charming may get more monsters killed, it's quite risky, and you never know when that faithful Mesmerise spell may fizzle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread