Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 01:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankdan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
dungeon finder becomes sorely missed
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-21-2015, 02:17 PM
Fire Giant

PoK books become sorely missed

maps become sorely missed

bazaar becomes sorely missed

instances become sorely missed (outside the context of a wtf raidscene)
Old 02-21-2015, 02:28 PM
Skeleton

dungeon finder ruined the community feel of a server :/
Old 02-21-2015, 08:40 PM
Kobold

I agree that a large portion of the claims private servers make are bullshit. Feenix was terrible in all aspects, Valkyrie is the only one out right now that is some what blizzlike but the non-existant US pop and waiting on AQ for 2 1/2 years makes that server awful.

I tested a few things on Nostalrius that I wanted to make sure worked that were usually bugged elsewhere. Lower tier instance scripts, SFK, Gnomer (and all the quests), ZF, all work and are scripted correctly, so you're actually going to get a proper working and relatively difficult dungeon for the amount of time you put in to traveling around.

Mobs sleep at night, no disconnecting or falling through the boats, line of sight has been entirely reworked from scratch so charge, cc, boats all work properly. Seems promising, always a chance it gets ddos'd to shit though.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:41 PM
Project Manager

wtf is a dungeon finder?

And should I try Nostalrius or wait for kronos, and why?
Old 02-21-2015, 08:57 PM
Kobold

Nostalrius kind of forced Kronos's hand, and that's why Kronos is releasing open beta the day prior to Nostalrius release.

Anyone familiar with private servers or oldschool WoW should be able to tell within the first 2 hours if the server they are playing on has the real extra work put into it. The one thing Nostalrius is currently promising that Kronos hasn't is the original release gear values. Hit rating is pretty much non existant, the blues that you normally thought were pre-raid bis from BRD are greens on release and sometime after BWL is defeated they'll patch in ZG and the item revamp.

Kronos isn't out yet, don't care much for an open beta, and I like the progressive timeline Nostalrius has. Nostalrius has been around for like 4 years prior to them closing the server and releasing it as an international 1x rates box, they've had AQ20/40 and Naxx mostly flawless for a few years already.

Also forgot to add that Nostalrius has the original 8 debuff slot limit, so until BWL is cleared players will be limited to 8 debuffs on bosses and not 16 (or unlimited like feenix and other servers let you do).
Old 02-22-2015, 03:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nostalrius kind of forced Kronos's hand, and that's why Kronos is releasing open beta the day prior to Nostalrius release.

Anyone familiar with private servers or oldschool WoW should be able to tell within the first 2 hours if the server they are playing on has the real extra work put into it. The one thing Nostalrius is currently promising that Kronos hasn't is the original release gear values. Hit rating is pretty much non existant, the blues that you normally thought were pre-raid bis from BRD are greens on release and sometime after BWL is defeated they'll patch in ZG and the item revamp.

Kronos isn't out yet, don't care much for an open beta, and I like the progressive timeline Nostalrius has. Nostalrius has been around for like 4 years prior to them closing the server and releasing it as an international 1x rates box, they've had AQ20/40 and Naxx mostly flawless for a few years already.

Also forgot to add that Nostalrius has the original 8 debuff slot limit, so until BWL is cleared players will be limited to 8 debuffs on bosses and not 16 (or unlimited like feenix and other servers let you do).
I posted on this recently, but this is dead on. The problem with trying to do a Vanilla WoW server is that WoW major patches are like EQ expansions in terms of shaping the game.

The Blizz model was to launch difficult content, then nerf it as time goes to let more people experience it. Original MC was drastically different than even MC right before BWL, let alone 1.12. Same thing with BWL.

You mentioned the dungeon gear revamps which were *huge* as a lot of the revamped blues were PvE BiS (or close to) until AQ stuff. In addition to the 8 slot debuffs, you also had the original spirit mechanics (basically 5 second rule starting with the start of a cast) which necessitated healer rotations as downranking isn't viable with low levels of +healing. Retarded raid itemization, very different talent trees, etc.

I'll probably check this out. Looking forward to putting on my pre-nerf Spirit of Aquementas, Choker of Enlightenment, and Crown of the Penitent.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:52 PM
Project Manager

I guess I'll look into Nostalrius, and wait to see how kronos shapes up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I like the progressive timeline Nostalrius has.
I'm curious just how progressive it will be. In comparison to p99, will there ever be a wow emu that is < 1.12? i.e. Original druid talent tree had hurricane at the bottom; in 1.12, it is a spell. Do the developers choose to start later in the timeline, or are there client/mechanical issues that prevent it?
Old 02-22-2015, 09:25 PM
Kobold

It apparently is practically impossible to provide 1.04 talents or anything prior to 1.12. Similar to p99 the client just wont allow for it. Can't find the exact quote they posted on it but, essentially the stock 1.12 client doesn't visually support the changing of the talent trees. They can change them server side, but the talents will always appear as invalid tooltip to the user. They also apparently would have to give players more talent points and put in "filler" talents to even be able to code it to connect properly.

I dont really know what any of that means but ultimately they say it would cause more problems than it would be worth.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:49 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rec [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
dungeon finder sorely missed sounds like someone who is afraid to talk to people to start a group.
No it sounds like somebody that has tried a hundred different private servers and knows that people will grind quests instead of forming groups if there is no dungeon finder option because people have been accustomed to it for so long. Don't say I didn't warn you. If you need examples of this, try every vanilla private server in the history of vanilla private servers and let me know how forming a group goes for you.