Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 11:06 PM
Fire Giant

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Gnome [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

never playing any new games ever
Well, you can do like I did ... I began boardgaming, beats most pc games out there by a ton, plus you can drink while yo do it and not die and lose xp like EQ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
----------------------------------
[center]
Old 11-15-2019, 08:13 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samadhi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have not followed Pantheon in a long time, but many of the graphics in it look worse than WoW or even old EQ2 graphics and the styles are reminiscent of the updated models of Luclin era. I remember the biggest changes were to Trolls and Ogres changing them from humorous, yet fearsome creatures, to simple brutes.

I still do not get why Brad made the game with Unity. Unity is so clunky. Regardless I am still not convinced the game will be released. I remember the kickstarter for it in 2004. IS it even in BETA 1 yet?
Still, not as bad as Dark and Light or Mortal Online. Perhaps I will be jinxing Pantheon now.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:20 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
no.
Yes.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:21 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Gnome [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
knew it was age of conan, game was so fucking bad and the servers kept coming down nonstop after launch

pissed me off so bad, random client dumps etc

never playing any new games ever
You shouldn't allow one disappointment into an MMO of all things to turn yourself away from every videogame ever.
Old 11-18-2019, 06:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisonzabi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes.
You are willful in your support of mediocrity. I'll pass on the paddle shifter UIs.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:19 PM
Large Bat

The 9 starting races look interesting. I like that the halflings aren't hobbits, and unlike in EQ it looks like there aren't any redundancies. I'm not sure I like dwarves being icy.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:59 PM
Sarnak

Every time I've been excited about an MMO based upon what they want to do, I've always been disappointed by what they end up doing in the finished product. I imagine Pantheon will end up being quite the same.

Not to mention, it reeks of desperation to be the next EQ that I imagine it'll end up feeling like some Frankenstein's monster mish-mash that just reminds everyone that nothing will be EQ again and we have to just appreciate the experiences we had.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:33 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Right? If my target market segment was exhibiting widespread cynicism or disinterest, perhaps that wouldn't be so irrelevant if I was actually trying to appeal to something other than a niche market. Because niche doesn't pay the bills for large shops.
That cynicism extends to most topics on these forums or would if RnF didn't exist to quarantine the shitposting. If we don't give insightful feedback, than we are just placeholders for the customers a non-blizzard company would actually value, as irrelevant to the developers of that product as we claim that product is overall...except we can't speak for everyone else, only for our own small community. Saying it can't be done is absolutely true, but only for the person saying it. Jumping on stage and/or throwing things at the performer isn't going to get you an encore. I don't see where it's fun to heckle a comedian before they've even approached the microphone. Material takes time. And art doesn't have to rake in large quantities of cash or please audiences of all age groups in order to sustain its creator(s) and have lasting appeal. Ex.: Blade Runner 2049.

The same applies to projects like these. One of the heads at Sony stated years and years ago that classic EverQuest would not, could not be remade because the original files were lost or whatever. And yet, here we are playing that remake, across four different servers. A similar voice says Pantheon is vaporware when, in fact, the game has already secured enough funding. Even if trolling, it's not clever or interesting so dkp minus for lack of effort. This should go without saying, but modern MMORPGs aren't easy to make and even remaking an old one like EQ is incredibly time-consuming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaezil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Found the big donater boys

Hope it pays off!
So far my only contribution to Pantheon has been pointing out statements that are either false or highly assumptive; yours just happens to be both.

Lead: Make your own server/game. Follow: Support and offer feedback. Get out of the way: Do nothing and hope it pays off.

A good way to do nothing? Don't state opinion as fact, don't make personal attacks against staff/devs, and don't speculate on outcomes based solely on previous experiences, the majority of which being unrelated. Of course, you can still do these things but there will be annoying people like me ready to argue the facts. As McQuaid stated in a recent reply on YouTube, "Every game I've worked on shipped."
Old 11-22-2019, 05:11 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You are willful in your support of mediocrity. I'll pass on the paddle shifter UIs.
Please tell me why that UI is bad without saying "i'm very old and too many hotkeys confuse me" There's a good reason why WoW's UI was exceptionally solid and why so many wanted to emulate it.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:39 PM
Banned

The clever bit of WoW's UI was opening it up to customization via APIs and then letting the players craft the UI for them. All you have to do then is tune the APIs when the players find weaknesses and all of the different market segments are happy.
Closed Thread